The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 AM

The SJ-200 is other worldly. It has a huge sound. It's the guitar equivilent of a really good concert grand piano. Everytime I play one I think wow..even with d-e-a-d strings at Guitar Center..wow! I've played one live...wow! But I'm a rosewood and sitka dread player and that's what I tend to stick with. Right now my "good" guitars are an Eastman E8D and an extremely old Bruno mahogany 12 fretter but someday a SJ may follow me home...

The Epiphone may look like a SJ200 but it sounds like any other guitar in it's price range. That's not a bad thing, I have an el cheapo Epi dread and it's a good basic all rounder. It's the guitar that stays out on the stand and I pick it up a lot. It sounds good, stays in tune, and overall it's a very servicable guitar. Other Epiphones have come and gone through my life and they were all OK. Still the non cuttaway all laminate EJ 200 has consistently been one of the deadest guitars I've ever tried. Maybe the size of the top is a bridge too far for laminate? Point One;aside from appearance the EJ200 is not a bargain SJ200. Point two; I'm not an Epiphone snob. Take that FWIW.

When I saw Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks last fall he played a cutaway electric EJ200. Plugged in it sounded just fine.

Last edited by cyclistbrian; 09-28-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 AM

I purchased an ej200 about 8 years ago and love mine. I have played a couple and found the one I chose had something special compared to the others. I had a bone nut and bridge installed and it's now a totally different guitar. I have played multiple gibson j200's and a couple of them did not ring like my Epi. That said, majority of the Gibsons I played were a small step above. The Pete Townshend model I played was a LEAP above.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:02 PM

I realize this is an old forum topic, but I just bought a 2014 Artist Special Edition Epiphone EJ-200 and all I can say is if you find one of these get it! It is the best strumming guitar I have ever played. The tone of this guitar is absolutely perfect for classic country and bluegrass music. I actually went to the music store yesterday determined to buy a Martin Road Series and saw this used Epiphone sitting all alone and picked it up and fell in love. I haven't put it down since, and in the process I saved a bunch of money! It is now hanging beside my Taylor 214CE Dlx and they both definitely have their place. I don't care if it does have a laminated top it sounds awesome!
Old 02-28-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwrjr View Post
I realize this is an old forum topic, but I just bought a 2014 Artist Special Edition Epiphone EJ-200 and all I can say is if you find one of these get it! It is the best strumming guitar I have ever played. The tone of this guitar is absolutely perfect for classic country and bluegrass music. I actually went to the music store yesterday determined to buy a Martin Road Series and saw this used Epiphone sitting all alone and picked it up and fell in love. I haven't put it down since, and in the process I saved a bunch of money! It is now hanging beside my Taylor 214CE Dlx and they both definitely have their place. I don't care if it does have a laminated top it sounds awesome!
I bought a used 2012 EJ-200 in fantastic condition back in 2018.
It's one of the last straight acoustic full body versions made - they're all cutaways with pick-ups now.
Upgraded pins and saddle to bone and experimented with strings until I found DR Sunbeam lights totally transformed the guitar - it's a fantastic strummer but performs best with a firm approach.

That white thing in the sound hole is a Planet Waves 'O' Port Sound Enhancer - put there by previous owner - guitar sounds good so I'm not touching it!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

They're bad enough that they should change the name because they're an insult to the J-200, the only Gibson I really like.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-28-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I bought a used 2012 EJ-200 in fantastic condition back in 2018.
It's one of the last straight acoustic full body versions made - they're all cutaways with pick-ups now.
Upgraded pins and saddle to bone and experimented with strings until I found DR Sunbeam lights totally transformed the guitar - it's a fantastic strummer but performs best with a firm approach.

That white thing in the sound hole is a Planet Waves 'O' Port Sound Enhancer - put there by previous owner - guitar sounds good so I'm not touching it!
I plan to upgrade my pins also. The previous owner put in pins that are too small, so next week I am going to put the right size in. I was totally blown away at the sound of this guitar when I tried it out, so I brought it home. I put D'Addairo EJ-16 strings on mine and they work really well in it. As I stated earlier I like classic country and bluegrass and this guitar was made for both. I learned today that Jamey Johnson plays one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox49AMtgj9w
Old 02-28-2020, 06:28 PM

Only took 7 years for Lazarus to arise with this thread (shroud?) in hand.

I think I replied to a similar thread a while back, so this one may have a sibling thread.

I have both an '85 Gibson J-200 and a '94 Epiphone EJ-200. Both are cutaway and pick-up free models. The Epiphone has a solid spruce top over laminate maple body. The Gibson has a solid spruce top over a rosewood body. They are both currently strung with Elixir PB HD Light gauge. .013 to .053, light bass strings combined with medium treble strings. Gives guitars a nice balance sound.

So are they identical in sound?. No way. Obviously the more expensive guitar is the better by far. But the made-in-the Samick-factory-in-Korea Epiphone is not even close to being a bad guitar at all. Matter of fact it is good enough a guitar to use playing out. Without being let-down or embarrassed by the instrument. How do I know? Because I have. And non-guitarists don't look at the headstock, they just see that iconic jumbo. That's a win-win in my book. And with no new dings to an expensive guitar either.

And in times of wicked high humidity, the Epiphone can sometimes be my instrument of choice.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-28-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwrjr View Post
I plan to upgrade my pins also. The previous owner put in pins that are too small, so next week I am going to put the right size in. I was totally blown away at the sound of this guitar when I tried it out, so I brought it home. I put D'Addairo EJ-16 strings on mine and they work really well in it. As I stated earlier I like classic country and bluegrass and this guitar was made for both. I learned today that Jamey Johnson plays one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox49AMtgj9w
I went from the factory plastic pins to these bone pins with large abalone dot.
The bone pins were slightly oversize but easy to modify to fit.

That's a great clip too!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 02-28-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:38 PM

By the way, I got my EJ-200 used. Bruce's looks mint. There are some design/cosmetic differences, but he likes his and I like mine.

Just saying.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-28-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Only took 7 years for Lazarus to arise with this thread (shroud?) in hand.

I think I replied to a similar thread a while back, so this one may have a sibling thread.

I have both an '85 Gibson J-200 and a '94 Epiphone EJ-200. Both are cutaway and pick-up free models. The Epiphone has a solid spruce top over laminate maple body. The Gibson has a solid spruce top over a rosewood body. They are both currently strung with Elixir PB HD Light gauge. .013 to .053, light bass strings combined with medium treble strings. Gives guitars a nice balance sound.

So are they identical in sound?. No way. Obviously the more expensive guitar is the better by far. But the made-in-the Samick-factory-in-Korea Epiphone is not even close to being a bad guitar at all. Matter of fact it is good enough a guitar to use playing out. How do I know? Because I have. And non-guitarists don't look at the headstock, they just see that iconic jumbo. That's a win-win in my book.

Don
Mine is a 2014 model and it has the exact sound I was looking for. The tone of an instrument I believe is a deeply personal thing. There are very popular branded guitars which I won't mention that I just do not care for due to their tone. I went in the store yesterday to look for a <$1000 Martin and found a few. I played them, they sounded okay, but didn't excite me. Then, I spotted this used EJ-200 for a LOT less than $1000. I knew immediately this was the guitar I wanted and I forgot about the others. I love my Taylor, but it has a totally different sound and I love playing it as well. You are spot on when you say the Epiphones are not close to being bad. Epiphone was Gibson's main rival in the arch top market prior to 1957, so Gibson acquired the company. I don't think Gibson would attach their name to a bad guitar. I have heard bad guitars, this isn't one of them. The store had a J-200 for $4800, but I didn't even play it because I knew I wouldn't be buying it. I am more than pleased with my purchase and you know why.

Last edited by wrightwrjr; 02-29-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:51 PM
Runaway Tomato

This thread is almost as old as I am!

I had a 2012 Samick-manufactured EJ-200 for a couple of years. At the time I had the Kazuo Yairi (still in my sig) and a Gibson Hummingbird Pro, which is essentially a Songwriter in disguise - The EJ was a very good instrument, and got almost as much time in my hands as the Gibson. It was a really solid strummer with a deep bass, however was as quiet as a church mouse when fingerpicked. If a gig was going to be quiet, like playing background fingerstyle in a quiet restaurant, I used the Gibson all the time because it had more volume than the EJ. If it was a loud or rowdy set, I'd flip a coin whether to take the Gibson or the Epiphone. Here's me and the Epi, and my wife's uncle wif my Gibson: (I traded the Epiphone straight across for my current Taylor 110, and I gave away the Gibson)

Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
This thread is almost as old as I am!

I had a 2012 Samick-manufactured EJ-200 for a couple of years. At the time I had the Kazuo Yairi (still in my sig) and a Gibson Hummingbird Pro, which is essentially a Songwriter in disguise - The EJ was a very good instrument, and got almost as much time in my hands as the Gibson. It was a really solid strummer with a deep bass, however was as quiet as a church mouse when fingerpicked. If a gig was going to be quiet, like playing background fingerstyle in a quiet restaurant, I used the Gibson all the time because it had more volume than the EJ. If it was a loud or rowdy set, I'd flip a coin whether to take the Gibson or the Epiphone. Here's me and the Epi, and my wife's uncle wif my Gibson: (I traded the Epiphone straight across for my current Taylor 110, and I gave away the Gibson)

Love the pics!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion