The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Default First recording with Zoom R24 - Wexford Carol on my Martin 000-15

So, I got my new Zoom R24 this evening, a stand alone multi-track recording device. So far I am liking this much better than recording using our Presonus Firebox and Laptop. It is much more convenient, and it is going to be lots quicker to just sit down, flip a switch, press some buttons, and record with the Zoom than with the computer (where I would have to hook up the laptop, close down other software, start up and initialize GarageBand or Logic, etc). And I don't have to worry about computer cooling fan noise.

Anyway, here is quick recording (complete with a little bit of string buzz in places) I did this evening (other than a bit of EQ to reduce booming bass in the recording, this is a raw recording with no added reverb or other effects - this is pretty much pure Martin 000-15 sound):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAHiEDM3lk

(My Martin 000-15 has been sounding particularly nice recently - it sounds dramatically better with older strings, and I think I have just hit the sweet spot with this set of strings! When the strings are right, this is an especially beautiful sounding guitar!)

This was recorded using a Rode M3 small condenser mic about 4 inches from the 14th fret, and a Rode NT1A large condenser mic a similar distance but a little closer to the soundhole. I'm starting to realize that I'm getting better sound quality with close microphone placement like this.

I also tried recording using the two built-in mics on the Zoom R24. The recording level seems a bit low, but when I listen to these on the computer they are not too bad. Maybe I'll post a recording done that way so people considering this Zoom can hear them.

Last edited by wcap; 12-08-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Nice job WCAP... I'm traveling, so I can only listen through my laptop speakers. It still sounded very nice and acoustic-y. You're 000-15 is all mahogany, correct? I would like very much to hear the song with your wife and daughter adding flute and violin.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Nice job WCAP... I'm traveling, so I can only listen through my laptop speakers. It still sounded very nice and acoustic-y. You're 000-15 is all mahogany, correct? I would like very much to hear the song with your wife and daughter adding flute and violin.
Thanks.

Yes, all mahogany.

The sound is much nicer through headphones (or maybe good speakers, but I don't have those handy). With headphones I'm hearing the same sort of richness to the sound that I hear in person.

I'm sure better recordings are possible (and a cleaner performance would be possible), but I'm more pleased with the tone of this recording than with most of my previous recordings. I think the close microphone placement is helping.

I'll probably play around with adding some reverb and such at some point to polish the sound a bit. But for now I'm pleased by how much this sounds like the real guitar.

And yes, the whole point of getting this Zoom R24 is so we can try doing some multi-track recordings of the whole family playing together.

We performed this piece in front of an audience recently (with flute, violin, and me on my Goodall guitar) and it was very well received. We also plan to add a bit of very tasteful percussion at some point (e.g. thumb cymbals, and/or bodhran).
Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Beautiful version of my favorite carol!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks.

My daughter (who has been playing flute with me on this) says I need to slow it down a bit, and I need to take longer pauses in places. I think she is correct (and when we play it together she makes me do this!).

Last edited by wcap; 12-08-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I be very curioius to hear how the inbuilt Zoom mics compare to your recorded sound with the Rode mics. I've heard on the "Recording " section here on AGF that the Zoom H2 and H4 mics compare favorably to very expensive cardioid mics for recording solo acoustic guitar, at least for YouTube purposes.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD