The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 09:38 PM

Default Strap Locks for Acoustic Guitars?

I was just turned on to Loxx strap locks for acoustic guitars, and I really like them. Have used Schaller and Dunlop for years so this is a change albeit a nice one. Very low-key and button like, simple to use and reliable. My guy at Sweetwater actually threw them in on my last purchase to try them out. I have since bought 2 more sets - @ $15 per, not bad at all.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:34 AM

I'll have to check them out. Looking for a fast way to put straps on and off acoustic when they go in the case. sure you have that name right??? Cant find them anywhere on Sweetwaters site under "Loxx"????

Last edited by GHS; 02-29-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I'll have to check them out. Looking for a fast way to put straps on and off acoustic when they go in the case. sure you have that name right??? Cant find them anywhere on Sweetwaters site under "Loxx"????
Here ya go...

https://www.loxx-products.com/live/m...cks/music.aspx

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/loxx-strap-locks.html

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 02-29-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I've been committed to original style of Schaller strap locks for many years.
apart from my Dobro, I don't fit them on the bottom, just on the back of the heel.

They have served me well and I'm reluctant to change to the "S" lock style although I understand that it is an attempt to fix the only problem with the originals which is the potential for the securing nut on the strap style to come loose - but that is what a pliers or a spanner and a dab of Loctite is for.

I've watched this video revoiew of the Loxx products : https://youtu.be/8Tqfqbapk7Q

Main problem being that they seem to be telling the user to simply screw male part into the guitar without predrilling.

I'm afraid the Loxx nor any other make don't appeal to me.
only trouble is, should I ever buy another guitar for performance, the original schallers are no longer available.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Sorry Andy but, for once, I’m out of step with you! I find straplocks of any kind unappealing on an acoustic guitar for several reasons:-

1) I never leave a strap attached when I’m not playing the guitar. When I’m putting the strap on or taking it off, I don’t want a (comparatively) heavy chunk of metal swinging around near my guitar.

2) They can’t be used on the endpin-jack, which is the only place I’ve ever known a strap to come off (fortunately I was holding the neck so no damage done). Never had a strap pop off a heel button.

3) See 2) above - a straplock on the heel seems redundant (IMHO).

I do use Schaller straplocks on my Strat, but I can’t imagine using them on an acoustic. But, of course, each to his own, and rightly so!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Sorry Andy but, for once, I’m out of step with you! I find straplocks of any kind unappealing on an acoustic guitar for several reasons:-

1) I never leave a strap attached when I’m not playing the guitar. When I’m putting the strap on or taking it off, I don’t want a (comparatively) heavy chunk of metal swinging around near my guitar.

2) They can’t be used on the endpin-jack, which is the only place I’ve ever known a strap to come off (fortunately I was holding the neck so no damage done). Never had a strap pop off a heel button.

I do use Schaller straplocks on my Strat, but I can’t imagine using them on an acoustic. But, of course, each to his own, and rightly so!

Why do you think straplocks can't be fitted on endpin jacks? Loxx and others offer locking systems that work fine with endpin jacks in 2 sizes - Fishman and "others"
Here's a link. I have these on my Martins..

https://www.loxx.shop/en/music/acous...o-nickel/a-466

PS I've been using Loxx on my 1961 Gibson ES175D, Fender Custom Shop 1961 sonic blue strat, several Ibanez, Gretsch, Höfner violin bass, mandolin..... for many years and have never had a failure
Old 02-29-2020, 07:47 AM

I am curious about strap locks. I have never used them and I have never had a strap come off that I recall.

But still I am curious.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
Why do you think straplocks can't be fitted on endpin jacks? Loxx and others offer locking systems that work fine with endpin jacks in 2 sizes - Fishman and "others"

PS I've been using Loxx on my 1961 Gibson ES175D, Fender Custom Shop 1961 sonic blue strat, several Ibanez, Gretsch, Höfner violin bass, mandolin..... for many years and have never had a failure
So the 1/4 TS plug actually makes electrical contact even being extended further out, looks like what another 1/2 to 3/4 inch ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-29-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post

Errrmm...seems to defeat the object of having a strap-lock - the leather bit with the hole can still pop off the endpin jack! If you’re playing unplugged, you’re no better off than if you use a standard strap straight to the endpin jack are you?

Or am I missing something?

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 02-29-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi JayBee,

actually, we mostly agree - allow me to respond to your points:

I also would NEVER leave a strap attached to a guitar when not playing it.
My method (see video below) makes this exceptionally easier than normal.

There is no "metal" swinging around.

I don't use Schaller straplocks on the butts apart from on my Dobro.
I make my own straps with a 1/2" hole and keyway for the endpins - My straps are made of 4-6 m/m thick veg tanned hide. they all fit either jack plug end pins or standard wooden/bone pins - as I don't leap about like a heavy metal poser on stage, there is no issue. I've NEVER had a strap come off an endpin.

I'm assuming that you prefer to tie your straps to the headstock - your choice (?) for me that unbalances the guitar.

My method enables me to quickly change guitars using the same strap. and when I have , say, my 6 and my 12 on stands on the stage, the strap is with my pick box on a stool between them and never left on the guitars.

Please see this (btw I don't really look like that - it's called "barrel distortion" (heheh!)

Old 02-29-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

After 50+ years of playing, it's just automatic for me to be super careful about straps. While mine is not the solution up for discussion here, I have found something that might help others like me who've still not decided what positive strap lock to buy and install.

Some straps are just looser than others (or end up that way) and slip off easily - annoying at best. On those, I use a sewing awl (leather repair needle with heavy waxed thread) to close up the slit by the strap-end hole a little bit. Then it takes at least some attention to stretch the strap onto (or off of) the pin. Still gotta be careful with any instrument, of course, but at least the strap is far less inclined to slip off for no good reason like it used to.

Like I said, this solution may not be ideal for others. I play standing up and usually leave a strap on every guitar - on the stand, in the case and hanging on a wall hook - so I'm not puling straps on/off my guitars. True, you'll never catch me twirling a green and pink, zebra striped shred-sled around my neck like those hair metal guys. But once I've tightened up the holes as described above, straps tend to stay where I put them. Vid link below demonstrates a typical sewing tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7r_fTFEA7I

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-29-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi JayBee,

actually, we mostly agree - allow me to respond to your points:

I also would NEVER leave a strap attached to a guitar when not playing it.
My method (see video below) makes this exceptionally easier than normal.

There is no "metal" swinging around.

I don't use Schaller straplocks on the butts apart from on my Dobro.
I make my own straps with a 1/2" hole and keyway for the endpins - My straps are made of 4-6 m/m thick veg tanned hide. they all fit either jack plug end pins or standard wooden/bone pins - as I don't leap about like a heavy metal poser on stage, there is no issue. I've NEVER had a strap come off an endpin.

I'm assuming that you prefer to tie your straps to the headstock - your choice (?) for me that unbalances the guitar.

My method enables me to quickly change guitars using the same strap. and when I have , say, my 6 and my 12 on stands on the stage, the strap is with my pick box on a stool between them and never left on the guitars.

Please see this (btw I don't really look like that - it's called "barrel distortion" (heheh!)

Thanks for that response, Andy! I’ve seen the video before, but I’d forgotten that you (a) use one strap for however many guitars you’re using, and (b) have your heel button mounted on the end-cap.

In my case, each of my guitars has its own designated leather strap - I have three Sully’s which are non-adjustable, and a Lowden strap which is adjustable but is set to the correct length for me. The holes for the endpin jacks are all punched to the correct size, so they fit correctly without ‘stretching’ over the strapjack. If I’m using say two guitars for a gig, the straps stay on the guitars while they’re on the stand(s) but, once I’m done playing, they come off. At home, I mostly play seated, so the straps stay off.

I don’t tie to the headstock (ugh!), I have heel buttons in the ‘Taylor’ position (treble side of the heel). I tried the ‘end cap position’ once on an old Yamaha, but it just didn’t work for me, the guitar ‘tipped forward’ and I found having to use my right arm to keep it in the proper playing position very distracting. But, if it works for you (and it obviously does) that’s great!

I’ve never had a strap pop off the heel button - hence my comment that I regard a straplock there as redundant. I have, however, had a strap pop off the endpin jack - I think maybe twice - despite being very careful to make sure it’s over the lip of the strapjack correctly, but I’ve never had the guitar actually fall to the ground. So what I’d really like is some kind of straplock that would work with the endpin jack, not sure how that could be, but I’m surprised that someone cleverer than me hasn’t come up with one!

As you rightly say, you and I agree on almost everything - on this one little issue I’m sure we can happily ‘agree to disagree’ and accept that whatever works is good!

And keep the videos coming - I enjoy them!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 02-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I agree. I've got 2 Sully's straps and don't worry about them coming off. They fit perfectly on the end jack

Old 02-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for that response, Andy! I’ve seen the video before, but I’d forgotten that you (a) use one strap for however many guitars you’re using, and (b) have your heel button mounted on the end-cap.

In my case, each of my guitars has its own designated leather strap - I have three Sully’s which are non-adjustable, and a Lowden strap which is adjustable but is set to the correct length for me. The holes for the endpin jacks are all punched to the correct size, so they fit correctly without ‘stretching’ over the strapjack. If I’m using say two guitars for a gig, the straps stay on the guitars while they’re on the stand(s) but, once I’m done playing, they come off. At home, I mostly play seated, so the straps stay off.

I don’t tie to the headstock (ugh!), I have heel buttons in the ‘Taylor’ position (treble side of the heel). I tried the ‘end cap position’ once on an old Yamaha, but it just didn’t work for me, the guitar ‘tipped forward’ and I found having to use my right arm to keep it in the proper playing position very distracting. But, if it works for you (and it obviously does) that’s great!

I’ve never had a strap pop off the heel button - hence my comment that I regard a straplock there as redundant. I have, however, had a strap pop off the endpin jack - I think maybe twice - despite being very careful to make sure it’s over the lip of the strapjack correctly, but I’ve never had the guitar actually fall to the ground. So what I’d really like is some kind of straplock that would work with the endpin jack, not sure how that could be, but I’m surprised that someone cleverer than me hasn’t come up with one!

As you rightly say, you and I agree on almost everything - on this one little issue I’m sure we can happily ‘agree to disagree’ and accept that whatever works is good!

And keep the videos coming - I enjoy them!
Hi again Jaybee,

I do have a strap in every case for each guitar, making them is a bit of a hobby, and when my hands permit I enjoy making them, think I've got more straps than guitars (!) and are all interchangeable.

Your comment about finding a strap pin in the end of the heel pushing your guitar away from you is not my experience, and I am wondering why - then it occurred to me that perhaps you wear your guitar lower than I do.

I wear mine quite high and my belt is on easy view when I'm "strapped up." My belly (or upper lap as my wife calls it) may angle the guitar to face up slightly.

Perhaps, if you don't have an "upper lap" and wear your guitar lower the guitar might be angled down a bit?

Please understand that I thinking about about basic geometry and casting no aspersions on your figure!

Obviously there is no right or wrong in this and we all need to find out what suits us best.

Coming back to strap locks, yes I could do without them, but they have been a part of my strap design for so long and all my guitars have one fitted ... and they do facilitate my "quick change."

All the best and thanks for the kind words about my videos ... any ideas for subject matter?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 02-29-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:20 PM

Silly,

Have to say I enjoyed the video. But what prompted this response was how your wife calls your belly your upper lap. Got a chuckle out of it. She must be one special lady.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion