The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Possible to get an OM w/segmented rosette for ~$5k USD?

I'm thinking towards next year. Was hoping to order a Burner acoustic, but I don't think they're taking orders next year. They build on the side and are busy with children/grandchildren. Tyler Robbins could easily check all the boxes for $6k. Curious if there are any other builders who offer a seductive rosette in the ~5k price range. I probably don't need beveled arm rest.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 PM

Personally, I don't think that would be a problem. I know some of the builders coming to my event in March would definitely be able to do that for you. Plus you could meet them face to face and work out a full design and try out their stuff.

If you can't make that, I am sure if you searched websites of some of the AGF luthiers you could find that price range quite readily.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 PM

I think dehradun guitars can do an om for you with sgemented rosette for 5k or tbey did the last tine i played one pf their guitars with their version od ghe segmented rosette a couple od years ago.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Why the need for a segmented rosette? Seems like the last priority for a new guitar -
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Why the need for a segmented rosette? Seems like the last priority for a new guitar -
Hey, if you're gonna have one to play, it might as well speak to you when it is on the wall as well as when you're playing it! GREAT tone is critical, but the visual aspects are of extreme importance to many of us as well. To clarify...I always say that a guitar is a lot like a woman...it's the outside that draws me there, but it is what is inside that keeps me there Personally, I think segmented rosettes are pretty sweet and I'm frequently drawn to them.

Oh and by the way OP, I sent you a personal message. Thx!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Check with the Kinnaird brothers. I believe they are both very close to your price point and they both build fantastic guitars.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Personally, I don't think that would be a problem. I know some of the builders coming to my event in March would definitely be able to do that for you. Plus you could meet them face to face and work out a full design and try out their stuff.

If you can't make that, I am sure if you searched websites of some of the AGF luthiers you could find that price range quite readily.
I really should make it to one of those at some point. I need to get out more as I more or less spend most of my time at home, the hospital (work), and the occasional trip to Costco.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
No need. Just a want and because I can. Same reason I snagged a guitar with Brazilian rosewood.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Well, Tim mentioned the Kinnaird brothers, Steve is going to be there, John was too initially, but had a family scheduling conflict. Just sayin....definitely better than a trip to Costco lol!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm with tadol in the sense that I usually start with guitars by builders I really want and then see if they'll do the aesthetic stuff I'm after. I'm guessing there are dozens of builders who would be willing to do a segmented rosette for you, but you may not like the guitars of the majority of them (or even all of them).

I might contact a guy like Ted Astrand. I like his work. I don't know if he's ever done a segmented rosette, but he might be willing. I played one or two of his guitars at SBAIC 2016 and really liked them.

I've seen Tom Doerr do some segmented rosettes, and I like his work.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:16 AM

Ted's guitars are stellar, but (thus?) he raised his base price up to 6.500 EUR and a segmented rosette might well come with some upcharge. Also he's currently not taking any new orders.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 AM

Ted's waiting time is really long too. I'm only getting one for the shop in 2020 [emoji38] Tom's guitars start at 6500 as well so that might be tough for OP's budget. He also tells me he hasn't built a single base price guitar since his new pricing.

Some builders in the 5K range who might be willing to do a segmented rosette could be John Datlen and Keisuke Nishi (Keystone). Builders in your price range who might need some persuading to go out of their signature looks would be Jayson Bowerman and T. Drew Heinonen. If any of these guys interest you, we could have a chat!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-15-2018, 07:21 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions and PMs. I'm saving them and will start to do my research sooner or later.

Regarding my price range, sometimes there are awesome builders who build top notch quality and don't have big name players yet. Good value without sacrificing quality. Bob Thompson and Kronbauer are examples of that. Bob was able to scratch my itch for something vintage sounding with Brazilian rosewood. Trevor built me a nice maple jumbo baritone with a nice spalted maple rosette.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

I'm right there with you - I like a nice rosette, among other things.

I doubt a segmented rosette would add significant cost to a guitar. I recently had a very fancy segmented rosette made locally, including calligraphed lettering and segmented marquetry (probably 40 pieces).

A local shop with some talent in programming and a laser cutter can do it for your luthier. I believe the last one I had made was about $120 total for the layout, programming, engraving, and cutting. I provided the basic design and the materials. Installation took some time, but the same is true for ordinary rosettes. I had it done in a local trophy shop that has a laser cutter. These cutters can also engrave pearl nicely for nameplates and such if you're into that.

The handwork folks are wonderful at what they do, and I personally prefer the handmade work. However, most of the really fun advances we're seeing in inlay work are improvements in design, programming, and cutting technology, not hand-cutting, marquetry, or inlaying skill.

A long-winded non-answer to your question, but I hope I've contributed to the background a bit, and I think the answer is "Yes".
Old 11-21-2018, 01:36 AM

H165, that's a very helpful suggestion and I totally agree with you. Why not find a luthier who's willing to outsource the rosette making and maybe even accepting an already custom made rosette to inlay in his guitar? The TO could then choose the luthier who builds a guitar that tonally fits his expectations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop