The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Default Martin Uke Binding Fix:Best Glue for the Job?

Hi! I have a 2011 Martin Tenor 2 Uke that is having binding separation issues. In the "waist" on the front / back and top / bottom, the binding is pulling away. Not quite enough to get in and clean it up, but enough to get some glue in there and then clamp it to set .... any suggestions for the best glue for the job? Confused a bit by different glue options.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:55 PM

That looks like plastic binding, and the appropriate glue would be Duco cement.

I doubt it will be easy, it looks like the binding has shrunk some and is not long enough. It may stretch back out, (a little heat would help that) but it may break. I've never used plastic binding, so I have no firsthand experience.
et al
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
It looks like the binding has shrunk some and is not long enough. It may stretch back out, (a little heat would help that) but it may break. I've never used plastic binding, so I have no firsthand experience.
Exactly! Shrunken binding. That is why I will never use plastic binding on a hand crafted instrument.

But heat will shrink some plastics, and I don't know what it will do to this binding. Perhaps others can comment.

In cases like this where the binding won't re-glue flush, it can be cut and a small piece inserted. The good thing about certain plastics is they can be melted/welded together, leaving an invisible or nearly invisible splice.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback! It definitely is cheapo plastic binding .... and it IS very hard to push back, so it likely has shrunk ... something I hadn't considered .... Will get some Duco and see what we can do ... probably very likely it will not stay, but only one way to find out .... Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:30 PM

I'd contact Martin and have it repaired/replaced under warranty. Once you attempt to repair it, Martin isn't likely to cover it under warranty. This shouldn't be happening on a 4-year-old instrument. It is a defect of materials/workmanship.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:41 PM

I wish I could contact Martin, but I bought it on Ebay ... so there is no warranty offered since it was not an authorized dealer .... lesson learned
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Guest 1928

I've used CA, Titebond, and HHG to reglue loose binding. Overall, I've had the best luck with CA. Of course, you have to be careful. Heating the binding will help get it back in place, no more than this appears to be out of place.

A word of caution about Duco, that may be a natural choice on a new build, but it will damage the lacquer. I'd avoid it for this type of repair.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 PM

You DO need a solvent containing glue to adhere to the plastic.

If I remeber right Duco uses Toluene as their solvent and that shouldnt harm the finish, but of course use caution!

I found some stuff in the hobby store since I couldnt find Duco: Beacon 527. It DOES contain Acetone which can harm lacquered finishes. My project doesnt have finish on it yet so I had no damage and my binding is on TIGHT.

-r
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM

I would cut the binding so it will go back to the body, i don't know of any glue that will hold it even if you clamp it until it dries. You can add a small piece of binding later if it bothers you. Duco would be my choice also.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Update

I just noticed that the bridge is also coming off .... created new post since there are new pics and it is a new issue ... in any case, any feedback you can give on the new post is greatly appreciated! I did decide I would wait on fixing binding to make sure it had stopped shrinking ....

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...09#post4443209

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair