The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Default Do you record video of your gigs? What do you use?

Wondering about what sorts of cameras you guys use to record gig videos.

I'm thinking something like the Sony HDR MV1 or the Zoom Q4.

Thoughts?
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 11-29-2014, 10:10 PM

We have a digital Sony with a external Audio input. We have also used an HD Zoom. In both cases, we take the audio from the board.

ZOOM

Sony

Let's pick,

-Tom
Old 11-29-2014, 11:57 PM

Taking audio from the board intrigues me, tell me more.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 AM

Well, the audio is usually the main issue. The ZOOMs are basically field recorders with small condenser arrays, which are quite good for field work but often have issues (as would any external mic-recoding setup) inside a venue. The compact video recorders are a lot better than they use to be, but they often don't have the properties you need. In both cases, the audio and video are co-located.

If you can make a deal with the audio board guy (or if you are running sound), you often have much cleaner audio options. Just the signal going to the mains is often fine, but it would include the equalization for the room. There are often also monitor feeds and headphone feeds that can be used and even optimized if they are not required for the room sound.

For a number of years, I used a separate recorders for video and sound, and then merged them. This is a great pain because the clocks are never synced perfectly, so the audio must be stretched by a tiny amount to hold sync. Because both of our cameras will encode the audio on the fly at high quality, all the post processing can be avoided if you can get a good clean audio feed.

Good luck.

-Tom
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM

Dude, you play the hell out of Liza Jane. Great stuff. Are you just being picked up by the stage mics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbiii View Post
We have a digital Sony with a external Audio input. We have also used an HD Zoom. In both cases, we take the audio from the board.

ZOOM

Sony

Let's pick,

-Tom
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Pert View Post
Dude, you play the hell out of Liza Jane. Great stuff. Are you just being picked up by the stage mics?
That wasn't me -- that was my friend Tony Watt. I was on stage in both cases, but I guess Tony was too. I am a much lesser musician.

That was all the stage mics. In both cases they were large diaphragm condenser mics -- sort of the retro rage on bluegrass circles -- so that naturally picks up more crowd noise than SM 58s and SM 57s.

Best,

-Tom
Old 11-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I was so focused on the audio on the zoom clip that I didn't really pay much attention to the video ... until I got to the Sony sample. If that is a quality sample from the zoom, I am not sure why you would ever use it, having the Sony, which blew the doors off the Zoom -- not surprising. The video synch seems pretty good on both -- were they both using board inputs or was the zoom using its own mic?

Thanks for sharing the performances, both were a treat.

EDIT: You answered the audio source question now:-) IMO, the Sony is the way to go with board line in available.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 11-30-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM

All the audio was from the board. I think for the ZOOM recording, it recorded its own audio, but that was stripped off and replaced with the recorded board audio. On the Sony example, the video camera did its own audio coding, but using the external audio input.

Just fooling around in my basement, I did try to mix the video from both cameras. It starts with the Sony, and switches back and forth. It should give you an idea of the video quality under good conditions. Remember this are compressed for Internet -- the original video is some better.

https://vimeo.com/17101157

On one of the shows, my son-in-law took a few extra pictures with a digital SLR -- Canon TI. I can show you a video with the ZOOM and the a clip from the Canon for part of the same song. I'll upload it and post the two shortly.

Best,

-Tom
Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 PM

I have a Zoom Q3HD and while the sound isn't bad I'm more or less disgusted with the video. For good video I'd definitely recommend a nice camcorder with an external mic (or better yet, use the sound from the board).

While many of us, myself included, place more importance on the audio, the average viewer is immediately turned off by "amateurish" video quality.

Here's a recent video I took of my son and his band with the Q3HD. The sound is from the Q3HD mics:

"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 11-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Here are two videos of the same performance -- the first is a clip using the Canon SLR in video mode including its own audio and the other using the ZOOM with board audio.

Canon

ZOOM
Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 AM

I'm liking the Zoom Q4.

Here's a short clip where I ran a mic and the Martin K&K into a Fishman soloamp and came out to a small mixer so I could control the level going into the Q4. The reverb came from the Soloamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmGf5KqnpU

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: Here's my full review of the Q4.
http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com...-and-2496.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD