The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Guest 2143

Default La Patrie v. Cordoba Luthier series neck profiles

I have played various La Patrie models, so I am familiar with their neck profiles. However, I have not played any Cordoba Luthier series guitars, but I am curious how their neck profiles compare to the La Patrie guitars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM

I've owned a couple of La Patries and currently have a Motif. I've owned a Cordoba C-10 Crossover and a C-9 Parlor. The Motif's neck is a little wider and bulkier than those of the two Cordobas, which both had a 1 7/8" nut widths. However, comfort-wise, there's not a significant difference for me - I can still do the thumb-wrap with the Motif. Having a truss rod, perhaps they were able to reduce the overall dimensions somewhat. I also prefer the matte finish on the Motif's neck to the gloss on the two Cordobas'.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've owned a couple of La Patries and currently have a Motif. I've owned a Cordoba C-10 Crossover and a C-9 Parlor. The Motif's neck is a little wider and bulkier than those of the two Cordobas, which both had a 1 7/8" nut widths. However, comfort-wise, there's not a significant difference for me - I can still do the thumb-wrap with the Motif. Having a truss rod, perhaps they were able to reduce the overall dimensions somewhat. I also prefer the matte finish on the Motif's neck to the gloss on the two Cordobas'.
Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.
Can you give me some personal feed back on the LaPatrie collection and, which strings you used
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
In the US, I don't think you will be able to find them in stores. GC and Sam Ash only seem to sell the hotter sales-ticket GK and straight C models. I had to order both the Crossover and the Parlor from Musician's Friend. They are very nice guitars, though, and very comfortable to play. My preference for the Motif right now is because I find the dimensions, sound and feel so conducive to vigorous-picking folk and ragtime pieces. I've also got one Kremona Sofia S63CW because it has a cutaway, together with the slightly narrower nut width and truss rod, which are features I like. The acoustic sound of the Kremona is very rich and sweet indeed, considering it's part laminate. Only the top is solid (cedar).
Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 AM

FWIW-- Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company.

I got my C10 Crossover via the local GC. I traded in a guitar and had them order it for me.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
FWIW-- Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company.
Not for the customer, they aren't. If you order a guitar from MF and you want to return it, you cannot take it to your local GC; you have to package it up and ship it back to MF. You also can't ask your local GC to get hold of an instrument advertised on the MF website so you can try it. The two companies may share profits, but they do not share services.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
Can you give me some personal feed back on the LaPatrie collection and, which strings you used
I am sorry to report that I do not remember which strings I used on it. I had the guitar a long time and did not change the strings on it the last few years that I had it. The liked the playability, with the relatively low profile neck, and tone of the guitar, and it stayed in tune well. However, when in humid conditions, it would go out of tune quicker than my other guitars. The guitar had a deep sound, was not very bright, with pretty good volume. I don't have much experience with classical guitars, so my comments might not be of much value. Hope this helps, at least a little.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:42 PM

It's funny. I ordered my C10 via guitar center. There was a delay in the delivery. When it arrived at my house, the box had Musicians Friend all over it. They must be sharing some business transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Not for the customer, they aren't. If you order a guitar from MF and you want to return it, you cannot take it to your local GC; you have to package it up and ship it back to MF. You also can't ask your local GC to get hold of an instrument advertised on the MF website so you can try it. The two companies may share profits, but they do not share services.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I am sorry to report that I do not remember which strings I used on it. I had the guitar a long time and did not change the strings on it the last few years that I had it. The liked the playability, with the relatively low profile neck, and tone of the guitar, and it stayed in tune well. However, when in humid conditions, it would go out of tune quicker than my other guitars. The guitar had a deep sound, was not very bright, with pretty good volume. I don't have much experience with classical guitars, so my comments might not be of much value. Hope this helps, at least a little.
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated it
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical