The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
How do you guys use those big amps to play at home. The Marshalls and the CarolAnn and the Splawn? GREAT amps, but you must have BIG homes!!! I have a bit of a hard time even using these two little amps and one has Power Scaling and one has an Attenuator! The Morgan is a Custom 60's Blackface Build and the Fargen is a Custom AC15 with EF86 preamp only. I LOVE these two amps!!!

Hey Russ. Looks like you've got a great place to play and some great amps! You're right about the loud amps. My setup is in my basement house but I don't crank it up ... band practice was different, back when I used to play. I think I need to find a nice 1w amp.

I recall reading about an EF86 tube before but can't recall anything about it. How is it different than a 12ax7?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
How do you guys use those big amps to play at home. The Marshalls and the CarolAnn and the Splawn?
Both my Splawn's have a volume knob on the effects loop. When I engage the loop it becomes the amp's master volume and the volume knobs on the front of the amp become the effects loop sensitivity controlls. It allows me play a fuller tone at bedroom levels. Otherwise both amps are foundation shakers and ear slayers..... great feature on Mr. Scott Splawn's part.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Russ. Looks like you've got a great place to play and some great amps! You're right about the loud amps. My setup is in my basement house but I don't crank it up ... band practice was different, back when I used to play. I think I need to find a nice 1w amp.

I recall reading about an EF86 tube before but can't recall anything about it. How is it different than a 12ax7?
In most circuits, especially with EL84 power tubes the EF86 gives a thicker, chewier sound while retaining the chime EL84's are famous for. The EF86 is a pentode tube while a 12ax7 is a dual triode. EF86's also really do well with pedals.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
In most circuits, especially with EL84 power tubes the EF86 gives a thicker, chewier sound while retaining the chime EL84's are famous for. The EF86 is a pentode tube while a 12ax7 is a dual triode. EF86's also really do well with pedals.
Thanks Russ. Sounds like you have something great and enjoyable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars