The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Piezo saddle ground?

I took apart an old fishman power bridge to use the little piezo saddles as part of a project I'm working on. These little guys...

The problem is that there is no ground wire, only an active wire. I thought all piezo elements need to have a ground? Can I just solder a wire onto the body of the saddle and have that work as a ground?

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Try this: connect the hot lead of a guitar cable to the output lead of the saddle pickup. Clip a lead from the guitar cable ground to the metal body of the saddle. The ground of the sensor should be welded to the saddle body so that when the unit is attached to a metal bridge the ground is made through contact with the bridge plate. That prevents a ground loop should you have a separate ground wire from the sensor and one attached to the bridge via the springs (the ground wire is soldered to the spring claw).

Good Luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars