The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you leave guitars out on stands?
I don’t leave guitars out of their cases, period. 67 27.24%
I leave one guitar out, one of my best ones. 37 15.04%
I only leave out less expensive guitars, as I don’t want the good ones risking damage. 40 16.26%
I’ve got several good guitars out on stands in a couple of different rooms. 97 39.43%
I have three less expensive guitars out on a triple stand in my living room. 5 2.03%
I’ve never left guitars out prior to this, but think I’m going to give it a try. 0 0%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’m just curious as to how many of you leave guitars out on stands in either a music room or living room, and which guitars those are: your best or your beaters. Please tell us what your approach is.

My earliest approach was to leave my beater guitar out while keeping the pro level instrument in its case. Then when we had little kids back in their cases everything went, yet by the time both of them were walking and potty-trained they had absorbed, seemingly by osmosis, the proper behavior around musical instruments: it’s when OTHER kids came to visit that I had to square things away.

That’s years ago now, and I leave three instruments out all the time, none of them my most expensive. They’re just there to grab and play as needed.

How about you?

Wade Hampton Miller
I'm all for having what I'm most likely to play within easy reach and quick access. Some hanging and some on stands, but I realize this depends on the level of risk that might be present for any particular player.

I have other instruments in a different location that are cased, but all my currently played things are out where I can use them.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I leave one out on a stand, my Rainsong CH-OM

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-17-2021, 08:33 AM

I have three floor stands and have my most expensive guitars on them:a Yamaha A5R, Eastman E40D, and an Eastman AC722CE. An Eastman E1SS-CLA-LTD is laying in it's bag that sits open on a TKL rectangular electric guitar case. All four are in the same room. That room has a small humidifier in it, an Essick EM330D. No pets here or other humans.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:37 AM

I generally don’t in case of accident and also I worry about insects or spiders attracted inside the sound hole. And is there any danger of woodworm infestation if you leave a guitar out long term?
Old 05-17-2021, 08:38 AM

I find it interesting that the poll seems to indicate that the majority of respondents favor the two extremes, all cased or many out.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Couldn’t vote because my answer wasn’t part of the poll. My answer? It depends on the time of year. In the dead of the winter heating season when not played my guitars are in their cases with humidity control because I don’t have a whole house humidifier. The rest of the time I’m free to leave them out if I want.
That's more or less my situation. My house has no AC, so the only time of the year that I feel comfortable leaving a guitar out on a stand is in the spring or autumn. During the humid summer or dry winter months, it stays in its case when not in use.

I have a hygrometer in my music room, and right now the humidity is 47%, so...

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 05-17-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I find it interesting that the poll seems to indicate that the majority of respondents favor the two extremes, all cased or many out.
That makes sense.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 05-17-2021, 08:49 AM

All mine are out on wall hangers except my Furch Little Jane. It stays in its backpack so I can grab it as needed. What can I say I love playing them and looking at them whenever possible. To this point, I've never had an issue.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-17-2021, 08:54 AM

Since I have become more active on AGF, I have 2 guitars out on stands in a humidified room set at 45% to 50%, and the Emerald X-30 is out anywhere. My electrics remain in their cases.

I now have multiple hygrometers throughout the house. I had no idea that the average humidity in my house (without humidification) hovers around 30%. Even on rainy days , it rarely goes above 45%... and I live in New Hampshire.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM

I've accumulated 5 guitars by now. They are all out, on stands or hanging on the wall. I don't bother with the hassle of putting them in cases and taking them out to play. Things for me tend to be out of sight out of mind, and I very much want to keep them all in mind. In fairness I keep most of them in the basement, away from my dog and three boys.

Last edited by Shishigashira; 05-17-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
the Emerald (CF) is out all the time - the rest are cased but accessible in moments if I want something different …
I leave my RainSong and Emerald out too. My wood guitars are all in humidified cases.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Smile Wall hangers !

I am blessed to have house RH just about 45% most of the time. So I often leave my beauties up on String Swing wall hangers. That way they are wall art of the highest order, easy to get to, and OUT OF HARMS WAY!

When RH goes up or down they go back in the cases with Bovida 2 way Humidity
Packs.

One trick I can share is to have a LOT of houseplants. When RH drops I water and spritz them all and it often does the trick. Cleans the air inside too!

I have a half dozen Humidity gauges in three different rooms....

Play on gang....

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-17-2021, 09:16 AM

Solid woods in cases, lam b/s on stands or hanging
Old 05-17-2021, 09:29 AM

Voted "several good guitars out" 'cus that's the closest choice to me. I keep everything out, in rack stands or on the wall.

Guitars are meant to be played, admired and enjoyed. I'm lucky that I have a dedicated music room where I can more or less control the environment and minimize those everyday risks from pets and kids.

What the music room doesn't have is space for cases. Those are all safely stored out in the garage, ready to go when I need 'em - which, for the last year at least, hasn't been too often.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:29 AM

As I've bored you folks with before, I am living proof that humidity cracks are not an urban legend. A few years ago I left my Alvarez AD710 out on its stand during winter when I also did not properly humidify my apartment. I have fuel oil heat and the humidity can get down in the low 20s... or maybe even lower ... One day I heard a "snap" like a string breaking. I went to the guitar and found the crack from the bridge to the bottom of the guitar.

So now I keep all of my guitars ... except my Esteban ... always in their cases with a soundhole humidifier inserted. I've also use small, cheap humidifers to keep at least one room humidifed.

I keep the Esteban out because, try as I can, I still have not been able to find out anything about its construction ... solid wood, laminated wood, wood that isn't really wood. Nothing at all. I'm guessing it's all laminated but it seems sturdy enough (and cheap) so I do keep it out but sometimes I do put a soundhole humidifer in it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion