The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you leave guitars out on stands?
I don’t leave guitars out of their cases, period. 67 27.24%
I leave one guitar out, one of my best ones. 37 15.04%
I only leave out less expensive guitars, as I don’t want the good ones risking damage. 40 16.26%
I’ve got several good guitars out on stands in a couple of different rooms. 97 39.43%
I have three less expensive guitars out on a triple stand in my living room. 5 2.03%
I’ve never left guitars out prior to this, but think I’m going to give it a try. 0 0%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 AM

Not voting - during the non-humidification season I may have one or two out on stands. Which particular ones vary.

When I am playing I always use stands, then they go back in their cases if it's dry in the house.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:45 AM

The guitar I built and finished last year is out on a stand (that I also built). All the others are in their cases.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-17-2021, 06:00 AM

Wade,
I previously responded to a different post of yours that I had bought a Seagull back in 1998. I used to leave that guitar out on a stand. We've always had a few cats in our household. I happen to be in the room where I kept the guitar, when one of our kittens tried to use the guitar as a scratching post. It left a few very small scratches in the cedar top. I shot up out of my chair and got the cat away from the guitar. Since that time, I've kept the guitar(s) in their cases. As it turns out, this seems to have been a serendipitous decision. It was not until I joined the AGF, that I learned about how important it is to control humidity around the guitars. Keeping them in their cases seemed to have helped (though now I use humidifiers in the winter). As an aside, the cat lived a happy life for another 14 years ... which I think demostrates that I love animals as much as I do guitars.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’m just curious as to how many of you leave guitars out on stands in either a music room or living room, and which guitars those are: your best or your beaters. Please tell us what your approach is.
Hi Wade!

I leave my favorite guitar on a stand in my home office year-round. It's a non-wood guitar so I don't worry about humidity. We have no pets or little kids to knock it over, and it has never jumped off on its own. I play it most every day, usually more than once.

Before the non-wood guitar, I kept a Martin in its case except to play, so it was more of a conscious effort to get the guitar out, play it, return it to its case, guard against case-bite. Certainly not onerous, but now I have a guitar within reach from my desk chair. Sometimes I play it as I read this forum.

And it looks nice in the background on Zoom calls.

Best regards,
PH
Old 05-17-2021, 06:21 AM

When the day comes that I’ve stopped playing my guitars because they’re in the case, the problem won’t be with the location of the guitars.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-17-2021, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I have no problem taking my guitars out of their case when I want to play.

My J-185 is in the case, and about 3 feet away from my recliner at all times.

If I were to leave one out of the case. It would be the Dean.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I leave a couple out most of the time, one in each practice area. Doesn't really matter if it's my most expensive or least, just whatever I am playing at the time.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 05-17-2021, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Both my Emeralds are out on stands all the time. One of the main reasons for buying CF instruments was for their ability to tolerate a wide range of temperature and humidity, so that I *could* leave them out all the time.

The fact that they sound and look magnificent is a bonus

The old Martin stays snuggly in its humidity-monitored case.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-17-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got a big labrador tail to contend with and besides, this is an extremely dusty area and dust is abrasive. In the cases.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-17-2021, 06:48 AM

Default Yup

"I leave three instruments out all the time, none of them my most expensive" Wade

Me too. I sold all but one expensive acoustic and turned around and bought a bunch of "lower end" small bodies. But even with "higher end" acoustics-I set them out all over the house
Old 05-17-2021, 06:56 AM

I often leave the RK dirty 30s out on a stand in the family room. The others stay in cases. I can be clumsy, careless, and accident prone, and we have 3 cats and have to keep the house cat proofed. In addition, until the pandemic, we have fostered kittens for the last 4 years. They live in the finished attic and share that space with me and my music. The guitars live there in their cases. I typically spend a lot of time there and play there. Have good climate control measures in place for that room and stands for 5 guitars to be out. Usually keep 2 or 3 at a time out to play when there. It’s rare anyone but me is in that room.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-17-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I leave them all out on wall hangars. For me, it's easier to control the humidity in 1 room, as opposed to several guitar cases. I can pick up one and if I decide that particular guitar is not 'ringing' with me, I hang it up and pick up another. It's not just the convenience, I love the way they look. Sometimes I'll walk in the room and pick one up and play for 5-10 minutes and then go back to what I was doing.

Maybe if I had a guitar worth > $4k, I would think differently.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:32 AM

ALL of my guitars live in stands and they all get played regularly (2 acoustics, 1 Reso and 4 electrics). None of them are expensive though. Working mans guitars that get played and gigged. I have had a guitar over 1k and it lived in the stand too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-17-2021, 07:52 AM

I keep two guitars - one nylon and one steel string - downstairs in a corner in gig bags. Those are the guitars that go outside to the porch or backyard. In my music room upstairs I have three on stands and ten on wall hangers; those are a mix of acoustics and electrics and get rotated around as desired.
I didn't vote in the poll either, as it didn't account for my scenario. But unless there are pets or small kids around, I'd never have all my instruments in their cases at all times. We're all different.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

My answer isnt a choice so I picked the most similar answer.

My answer is that I equated wall hangers with stands and I have several nice guitars out all in one same room

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion