The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
NICE!!!!!!

Koa can be such a visually striking tonewood, but I've found a dramatic variance in how koa backed guitars sound. IMO, Michael Millard is one of the few that consistently coaxes the very best tone out of the koa.

Looking forward to the pics and your review when you receive delivery. A July delivery isn't that long at all to wait for another masterpiece. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Good to hear and thanks...
Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I first played a Froggy Bottom guitar in the 1990s at Mandolin Brothers and I was impressed with it. More recently, I was able to audition a few different of their guitars when they exhibited at the Artisan Guitar Show in April 2018 and continued to be impressed with their tone, playability, fit and finish.

So, I decided to reach out to Froggy Bottom and explore the idea of a having them make custom guitar for me. After a series of telephone discussions with Michael Millard, I decided to place an order for a custom guitar. As is typical with luthiers, in order to best advise me on which model and specifications to select, Michael wanted to understand how I played (with a plectrum and my fingers), what type of music I played (solo jazz chord melody), and where I played (I play at home). We also spent a good deal of the time discussing my tonal goals for the instrument.

After reviewing my playing use, environment and tonal goals, Michael suggested that I order a custom version of his 16” Model K.

I selected their “Deluxe” grade package (e.g. Madagascar RW headstock veneer, curly maple bindings/heel & end grafts, paua abalone rosette, backstrip and style #5 fretboard inlays, 25-1/4” scale length, standard neck profile and FB radius)

Michael suggested the following custom aspects:
  • He wants to slim down the body end block depth by about 1/4” to 4”
  • He wants to use one of his remaining vintage German Spruce tops harvested in 1876. Michael purchased about 300 spruce top sets from a German wood cutter’s estate sale back in 1968 when he lived in NYC pre-Gurian. He has sparingly used these tops across the last 50-years on specific projects.
  • He suggested a denser set of Koa for back and sides (I selected a curly “5A Grade” set that he showed me that I actually aesthetically preferred to some the “Exhibition” sets that were offered)
I chose the following options for my playing and aesthetic preferences:
  • A Venetian cutaway for upper fretboard access
  • A 1-3/4” nut width and wider 2-5/16” bridge pin spacing
  • Jescar EVO 43080 frets and Waverly gold tuners to match the frets
I believe they will begin to build the guitar in April for an estimated July delivery. I will share some photos if they supply me with some as they build it, my playing impressions when it arrives, and I get some time to get to know it.
Very cool. My son ordered a similar guitar (K with 1/4" less deep than usual) in 2017 with adi over madrose. Lovely guitar and the depth tones down any tendency of the bigger box to boom. I also have a 1992 F with the old german spruce over koa. Love this guitar for its tone although for my playing style (classical R hand with fingernails) it's not the easiest (string spacing, scale length). I am sure you will be well pleased with Michael's build. Hope to hear back when you have it.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Very cool. My son ordered a similar guitar (K with 1/4" less deep than usual) in 2017 with adi over madrose. Lovely guitar and the depth tones down any tendency of the bigger box to boom. I also have a 1992 F with the old german spruce over koa. Love this guitar for its tone although for my playing style (classical R hand with fingernails) it's not the easiest (string spacing, scale length). I am sure you will be well pleased with Michael's build. Hope to hear back when you have it.

Hans
Thanks.... I am not exactly sure what drove Michael to recommending to reduce the end block depth by 1/4”, but I suspect my requested desire for fast attack and an articulate bass may have influenced it.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Almost There...

Apparently, the FB shop is running a bit ahead of schedule. I was expecting it about a month from now. My Model K has returned from finish and is ready for assembly and set up. I believe that it will ship next week.

The figured Koa certainly looks nice under finish...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-20-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I first played a Froggy Bottom guitar in the 1990s at Mandolin Brothers and I was impressed with it. More recently, I was able to audition a few different of their guitars when they exhibited at the Artisan Guitar Show in April 2018 and continued to be impressed with their tone, playability, fit and finish.

So, I decided to reach out to Froggy Bottom and explore the idea of a having them make custom guitar for me. After a series of telephone discussions with Michael Millard, I decided to place an order for a custom guitar. As is typical with luthiers, in order to best advise me on which model and specifications to select, Michael wanted to understand how I played (with a plectrum and my fingers), what type of music I played (solo jazz chord melody), and where I played (I play at home). We also spent a good deal of the time discussing my tonal goals for the instrument.

After reviewing my playing use, environment and tonal goals, Michael suggested that I order a custom version of his 16” Model K.

I selected their “Deluxe” grade package (e.g. Madagascar RW headstock veneer, curly maple bindings/heel & end grafts, paua abalone rosette, backstrip and style #5 fretboard inlays, 25-1/4” scale length, standard neck profile and FB radius)

Michael suggested the following custom aspects:
  • He wants to slim down the body end block depth by about 1/4” to 4”
  • He wants to use one of his remaining vintage German Spruce tops harvested in 1876. Michael purchased about 300 spruce top sets from a German wood cutter’s estate sale back in 1968 when he lived in NYC pre-Gurian. He has sparingly used these tops across the last 50-years on specific projects.
  • He suggested a denser set of Koa for back and sides (I selected a curly “5A Grade” set that he showed me that I actually aesthetically preferred to some the “Exhibition” sets that were offered)
I chose the following options for my playing and aesthetic preferences:
  • A Venetian cutaway for upper fretboard access
  • A 1-3/4” nut width and wider 2-5/16” bridge pin spacing
  • Jescar EVO 43080 frets and Waverly gold tuners to match the frets
I believe they will begin to build the guitar in April for an estimated July delivery. I will share some photos if they supply me with some as they build it, my playing impressions when it arrives, and I get some time to get to know it.
Congrats. I am sure you will love it. I have a 1992 F in the same woods (19th century spruce and dark koa) and it is a remarkable guitar. The old german spruce and koa are clear and articulate but still warm enuf for a pleasing tone. I'll never sell this guitar. I hope you love yours.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-17-2021, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Looking great!
Old 05-18-2021, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Congrats. I am sure you will love it. I have a 1992 F in the same woods (19th century spruce and dark koa) and it is a remarkable guitar. The old german spruce and koa are clear and articulate but still warm enuf for a pleasing tone. I'll never sell this guitar. I hope you love yours.

hans
I should know by late next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Looking great!
Thanks very much....
Old 05-20-2021, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Just got a shot of the front of my custom Model K. The 140+ year old top looks fantastic...

I asked them to hang on to it over the weekend to let the set up settle in so they can give it a final tweak in the event it continues to move under tension and to avoid any chance that it sits we our friends at Fedex over the weekend. I should have it by Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:22 AM

What a beauty!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 05-20-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Very nice, clean top. I like it!
Old 05-20-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous, congrats!!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-20-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko61 View Post
What a beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Very nice, clean top. I like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Gorgeous, congrats!!
Thanks...

I honestly was not expecting it for at least another month. The shop seems to be running well ahead of schedule. I have two other 16” flattops. One is 4-3/8” deep and the other is 4”. I love them both, but shallower guitar is definitely more comfortable. I will be curious to see how my shallower depth Model K feels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion