The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-16-2021, 11:29 AM

Default The best sounding Charley Patton album!

Gotcha... Seriously, I am looking for the best sounding Charley Patton album. Between compilations and box sets, I've heard so many different sources. Easily 7 or 8. Yet nothing has ever stood out.

Remember when the re-mastered King of the Delta Blues Singers came out? I had never really had an issue with the original Robert Johnson recordings, but that album was a groundbreaker IMO.

I'm looking for something like that. Obviously the source material is limiting in Charley's case, but have you ever heard an album that floored you sonically?
Old 05-17-2021, 08:14 AM
Guest 33123

I'm usually satisfied with Yazoo/Shanachie Records' quality. Their "The Best of Charley Patton" is listenable considering the source material.

I've never been floored by 78 sourced releases. I just accept that they usually sound pretty terrible.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I'm usually satisfied with Yazoo/Shanachie Records' quality. Their "The Best of Charley Patton" is listenable considering the source material.

I've never been floored by 78 sourced releases. I just accept that they usually sound pretty terrible.
Thanks! I'll see if I can give it a listen! Well, first I'll make sure I don't already own it...

If you haven't heard the remastered King of the Delta Blues singers you should give it a go. It is impressive. It still is what it is, but it sounds very good!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:07 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Thanks! I'll see if I can give it a listen! Well, first I'll make sure I don't already own it...

If you haven't heard the remastered King of the Delta Blues singers you should give it a go. It is impressive. It still is what it is, but it sounds very good!
I have King on CD. It is very impressive!
Old 05-17-2021, 11:22 AM

Sadly,Paramount were notorious for poor quality pressings.Charley just wasn`t recorded as well as Robert Johnson..that`s the bottom line.You won`t find any Patton that has the same quality as the remastered Johnson stuff.The Yazoo is about as good as it get`s and there are some fantastic Patton remasters on John Teftfeller`s Blues images calendars.I think there was also a Andrew Rose Patton CD but the sound was too sterile for me like something had been stripped away...some like it .
Old 05-17-2021, 03:37 PM

Thanks all! I looked into the recos here and in doing so google pointed me to all manner of insane and wonderful discussions!

I was completely unaware that my question was so technically complicated in matters of recording and software choices, and of the depth and breadth of "boutique" and private remastering. J-Doug's initial recommendation is my speed financially. I would love the Sreamin' and Hollerin' set, but $211 is a lot! Would have to investigate the seller too before diving in!

Thanks again all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN