The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2021, 01:21 AM

Default Fifty years later . . .

Okay 2021 ... with your iPhones, tablets, pitch corrections & all, and fifty years to build on - show us watcha got.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...02&oe=6028A724

Last edited by frankmcr; 01-16-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:05 AM

'Linda McCartney - Ram' ... huh? Pretty sure that was husband Paul's second solo album.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-16-2021, 06:01 AM

Wikipedia think it is a Paul & Lynda McCartney album and she is credited with co-writing 6 of the 12 tracks.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-16-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Some great ones in that line up, but here’s another correction:
4 Way Street was a CSN&Y album. ;-)
Some of the best live acoustic sounds ever recorded are on that record, by Young especially.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-16-2021, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Yes, probably more than fifty Tears!

1971 -An exciting year for me. My own flat (albeit a West London hovel) a beautiful Swedish girlfriend. Saturdays in Kings Road.
the only albums there that resonated for me, was "Blue" by Joni Mitchell, and "If I could Only Remember My Name" by David Crosby.
I was reminded of that era by a long, frank and thorough documentary on Crosby last night, including much input by the man himself and acknowledging his many faults and failings.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:19 AM

Two comments on age and time. I am a late aged parent with one in college and twins in high school.

The parents are all digital but my daughter thinks the fruit crates of albums I have are neat. Most of my listening is robots feeding me new stuff based on history.

My kids will listen to things from this era where I smile for their interest but I am usually tired of hearing same stuff so many times in my life and tired of basic progressions.

Get my humor. Maybe I'm tired of I, IV, V blues and rock because of my own chronic mediocre skills. At a deeper level, I might be tired of my cohort overall - thus much of the music - for so many out of shape or near dead brains, bodies and ideas. I've got a problem being a kid stuck in a sexagenarian's body.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:08 AM

Lots of wonderful music on that list, but the one from 1971 that had the biggest impact on me wasn't listed: Little Feat's eponymously named first album.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I became fourteen that year. I was given my first guitar on the previous Christmas. It was the dawning of an age of excitement for me because I finally was able to make my own music. The following year 1972 contains some of my favorite music. What amazes me is how fresh and exciting some of that music still sounds to me.

And... three quarters of those bands and artists have lost members to mortality, many multiple members. There is only one member of Uriah Heep alive, Mick Box. Only two members of the Allman Brothers survive. Only the drummer of ELP made it. And the list goes on and on.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-16-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

That was the year the John Denver released "Poems, Prayers, and Promises" with "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as the lead single. The cover photo with a Guild 12-string with only the MOP peak logo started me on a search for a Guild guitar that resulted in a 1969 D-35.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 AM

The biggest influence of those albums for me, albeit years after it was released, is Led Zeppelin IV. Masterpiece.

I'll also add Black Sabbath's Master of Reality.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:56 AM

Well that is quite a list, 1971 was memorable in that I graduated from University, early Summer, worked an awful but well paying temporary summer job (still in the U.K. at that time) then took a flight to Athens, then overnight ferry to the island of Crete and after a few weeks there another flight to Israel and another overnight hitchhike ride thru the Negev desert south to Eilat on the Red Sea where I lounged at the Peace Cafe and listened to many of these albums....
Old 01-16-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Looking at that list brings me to believe I like the music of the sixties more fondly as a whole. Man, I'm getting old.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I turned 16 in 1971, and that list is a wonderful generator of nostalgia and great memories to this old geezer! Is it just me, or did "pop/rock" music have so much more variety and great melodies than we hear from newer stuff today.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
.., 1971 was memorable in that I graduated from University, early Summer, worked an awful but well paying temporary summer job... then took a flight .....
Same concept, differrent guy. 1971 - graduated from University in May. Worked a fun and well paying temporary summer job... then took a 45' sloop out to sea. Missed all the new music from September '71 to early '73.

What I remember from '71 is Intel...oh...and a girlfriend.....whew!
Old 01-16-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

That's just an amazing list. Just another reminder that "The 60s" really didn't end until 1972 or so. For my taste, and that's obviously all it is, there was more good pop-rock-blues-R&B-jazz released from 1968-1972 than any other period of time. Jazz was better earlier, but there was a ton of innovation and fusion stuff happening in those years, with Miles, as usual, leading the way. I was too young to appreciate most of it at the time, I turned 9 in '68 and 13 in '72, so it took me a few or several more years to get into a lot of it. And there was plenty of great music released before and after that period. But there was SOOOOO much classic stuff released in those years, no other period ever came close...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic