The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-17-2021, 03:27 PM

Default It's time to learn how to do instrumentals

Is there a course of instruction where I can learn how to pick out and/or create intros and instrumentals for songs? Or some other way to go about it? I do mostly Country and folk songs. As an example an instrumental is played in the song "Colleen Malone" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2rHw8FAkMQ ) (instrumental starts at beginning and at 1:15).

I play chords just fine and strum fine also, but it's time to expand and do instrumentals. I've searched all over youtube and Google, but I'm not finding what I need. I probably don't even know the keywords I should use in my search. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!
Old 05-17-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

The instrumental part you referred to is known as "flatpicking", which is commonly used in Bluegrass music. There are many videos on flatpicking technique by Steve Kaufman on YouTube - that would be a good place to start. Just do a search on "Steve Kaufman flatpicking". Some of the great flatpicking masters include Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Doc Watson, David Grier, Bryan Sutton, Dan Crary and Molly Tuttle. You can learn a lot from watching video of them playing, too. Two of my favorite flatpicking tunes are "Church Street Blues" by Tony Rice and "Whiskey Before Breakfast" by Norman Blake. Good luck and have fun!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

Last edited by pickinray; 05-17-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:12 PM

Hi Pboxcapour, Pickinray is on the money. Time for you to look at new techniques, such as flatpicking or fingerpicking. Don't be intimidated by the amazing virtuosity you'll see from some players. Start small and work your way up gradually.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:53 PM

OMG!! "Flatpicking"?? That is fantastic! I've heard people do that and didn't understand what I was looking at. I LOVE that kind of stuff. So instrumentals are flatpicking. I like that stuff in Country, Cajun, and similar stuff.
Well this will be an exciting adventure. I'll start with Steve Kaufman flatpicking like you suggest and the others you suggest.
Thank you SO much!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboxcapour View Post
OMG!! "Flatpicking"?? That is fantastic! I've heard people do that and didn't understand what I was looking at. I LOVE that kind of stuff. So instrumentals are flatpicking. I like that stuff in Country, Cajun, and similar stuff.
Well this will be an exciting adventure. I'll start with Steve Kaufman flatpicking like you suggest and the others you suggest.
Thank you SO much!
Instrumental means instrument no singing and would include strumming. You are talking about lead breaks. They can be done with a flat pick, thumb pick, bare thumb, or fingers...or if you are Hendrix with your teeth.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboxcapour View Post
Thank you SO much!
I forgot to mention Billy Strings in my post above. He and Molly Tuttle are two of the best of the younger generation of flatpickers. Here is a sample of his playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW8Yq7iPoJk
Gibson J-45 Standard
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Electrics:
Old 05-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Instrumental means instrument no singing and would include strumming. You are talking about lead breaks. They can be done with a flat pick, thumb pick, bare thumb, or fingers...or if you are Hendrix with your teeth.
That is true. Some flatpicking songs are instrumentals (i.e., no vocals) like "Blackberry Blossom", while songs with vocals contain lead breaks like in "Colleen Malone".
Gibson J-45 Standard
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Electrics:
Old 05-18-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinray View Post
That is true. Some flatpicking songs are instrumentals (i.e., no vocals) like "Blackberry Blossom", while songs with vocals contain lead breaks like in "Colleen Malone".
Yes the OP should google 'how to construct bluegrass flatpicking runs' or 'playing bluegrass licks over chords', that kind of thing, it's all quite formulaic and most bluegrass players seem to do a similar thing.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:32 AM

For a more melodic approach this technique is good to learn so for a solo you pick out the melody add some chord notes and bass runs where you can mannage it, with this sort of thing helps to break it down to constituent parts so melody, chords notes and ocassional bass runs from one chord to the next.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT4HibXPeA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
instrumentals