The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Default R.Taylor Style 2 ...anyone?

With all this recent talk of GCs (blast you folks! ), I have come to wonder about the RT style 2. I have yet to see anyone post of their experience or ownership of these little guys. Any Style 2 owners here care to share? Anyone play this elusive beast ...especially you GC fans out there (of whom I should hold personally responsible should I do the unthinkable!). I know the 1s get most of the attention, but I would love to hear feedback on the smaller brother. Thanks!

Edward
Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 PM

I don't own an R Taylor Style two but I've played a few of them at a high end shop and I'd have to say that they are perhaps the best guitars I've ever played. They sounded like much much bigger guitars but had that great feel of the GC size. I think one was a Lutz spruce/Cocobolo and the other was a Sitka/EIR. I've played another one but it was a while ago and I don't remember much about it other than it was great too. Sorry, I know this probably doesn't help the GAS but if I felt like spending that kind of money I'd jump all over pretty much any R Taylor Style 2 I came accross.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 PM

I played a really nice Cedar/Mahogany Style 2 at a small shop. It sounds sweet, feels comfy and plays like butter and looks good. Bought it a few months later.

Last edited by Dwight; 08-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM

I played one that was Adirondack on Brazilian. Oh my, it was actually too much guitar! I play fingerstyle and that guitar had sustain and overtones in spades. The sustain was so much, it was actually difficult to play fingerstyle. Notes just kept ringing and ringing. I really wanted to like it, but it just did not work for me. If I was a singer and strummer though, it would have been awesome.

There were also a mahogany-backed and a Mad Rosewood-backed Style 2's. I was not overwhelmed with either one. The Mad Rosewood sounded too similar to my 814ce Limited (also Mad Rosewood) to really interest me. With regard to sound, I honestly can't say that they impressed me so much over and above the standard Grand Concerts in the store to justify the higher prices.
Taylor 2006 814ce Fall Limited, Sitka on MadRose
Voyage-Air 2011 VAOM-04
Two Guild Bluesbirds, sunburst twins, 1998 / 1999
Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 PM

I like mine. Can't imagine a better GC.
I own the sister of this guitar. The MadRose set was one of the set I had to choose from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zFk3yLduj0
R Taylor Style 2 Madagascar/Engelmann
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 AM

I have both a style 2 and a regular taylor GC. Both are great guitars with very different woods. The style 2 is amazing. It has Engleman over rosewood with ebony binding. This guitar is loud with full bass and has loads of sustain. It is not as loud as a dred but in my mind it is worth every penny.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 AM

Ahhh, very cool ...thanks all for the feedback, all! Just as I expected: RT love (of which I am all too familiar ). Good to hear from folks who have tried them as I haven't even laid hands on one, let alone seen one.

BTW, killer youtube link, Robert ...great playing and awesome sound (if not a tad bright for me, which could easily be the recording). I lean toward cedar, but an englemann would not be a bad alternative. So typical that the RT sounds bigger than its size ...there's a real power and "authority" in that recording despite its diminutive body. This is all very bad news for me...

Edward
Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM

If any of you are in Louisville area, Steilberg Instruments has Style 2 with Adi/Brazillian with all bling. That thing sound heavenly. Very similar to Robert's R Taylor (above). Every time I'm in that store I play that thing. I've A/b it against other GC's in that store and it's a whole another level. There's no comparison.
Style 2 will definitely be my next purchase down the road.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Hello,

So glad to hear the love for the R. Taylor Style 2. I've played a few and have to say that the comments above, both general and specific are accurate.

I have an RT 2 on order! I think it will be here in 3 or 4 weeks. I ordered it from Acoustic Vibes Music. Jeff is great to work with. Very knowledgeable, easy going, friendly and gives his honest thoughts and opinions... and WOW, what a selection he has!

The one I ordered is Madagascar sides and back and Sinker top. They are woods I was able very fortunate to be able to choose myself.

I've owned a few GC Taylors over the years, and just received a custom I had built 2 days ago. It's south american rosewood and adirondack top. It's very nice! I'm looking forward to comparing it to the RT 2.

Oh... and randerson.... Wow! Owning the sister to that guitar is saying something!!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM

Yea. He posted on the forum when he first purchased the guitar, I believe from Guitar Rodeo. I recognized the wood from the photos RT sent me and forwarded them to Yoost. Now if I could just play that well.
R Taylor Style 2 Madagascar/Engelmann
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Love my RT Style 2 Cedar/Hog. Much better than any GC I have tried in stores (better sustain, clearer notes). It is not as versatile as a GA though, and I am using it mostly for fingerpicking (not strumming). Sufficient bass, warm sounding cedar with great overtones, yet very well suited for recording.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/...NikonBest1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/...i/010top3a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_w0kgfTpI

2016 Taylor 712ce 12-Fret - Lutz Spruce/ Rosewood
2013 Bourgeois BK Slope D Sitka/Hog
2008 R Taylor Style 2 Cedar/Hog - SOLD
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Now there is one happy family portrait! Nice deal, Groni!
...all of a sudden, I am feeling very sorry for starting this thread

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion