The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Congrats - Tom makes some of the very best guitars I have ever played.
Those sides look THICK!
We all know there's a vogue for that (traceable back to Greg Smallman and his 18mm birch ply) but it's approached differently - I've even seen MDF used! Do you know what Tom has got going on in there? I'm guessing it would be super-heavy if laminated wood alone?

Tom used Rocklite on my Sands to great effect. I don't like a lot of figure on the fretboard so Ziricote would not be my choice, but YMMV. You might want to check out Fenland Oak - it's hard and beautiful...and 5K years old.

Cheers,
Steve
Not 100% sure but I think he's doing something similar to Taran.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Congrats - Tom makes some of the very best guitars I have ever played.
Those sides look THICK!
We all know there's a vogue for that (traceable back to Greg Smallman and his 18mm birch ply) but it's approached differently - I've even seen MDF used! Do you know what Tom has got going on in there? I'm guessing it would be super-heavy if laminated wood alone?

Tom used Rocklite on my Sands to great effect. I don't like a lot of figure on the fretboard so Ziricote would not be my choice, but YMMV. You might want to check out Fenland Oak - it's hard and beautiful...and 5K years old.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve!

I don't know the details of the side construction, but based on what I've seen in his instruments, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom were doing something clever & creative there.

I actually like the idea of Rocklite too!
Old 10-30-2022, 03:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I came to look at the Myrtle, and I am not disappointed!
Old 10-30-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralfluff View Post
Thanks Steve!

I don't know the details of the side construction, but based on what I've seen in his instruments, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom were doing something clever & creative there.

I actually like the idea of Rocklite too!
Tom does three ply laminate sides with a kerfed core, or did a couple yrs ago.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:47 PM

We're getting there!
The bracing is stunning:

Old 11-24-2022, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Tom's instruments

I love Tom's instruments...I've owned several and there's a magic to them that's seldom seen elsewhere.

The way he simultaneously makes his instrument look incredibly modern but still traditional speaks of how much he cares about the design and aesthetic. The attention to detail is without equal and his choice of materials is so unusual and effective.

The excitement of waiting for it to be completed, delivered and played will keep you sitting on the edge of your seat and the excitement is wholly justified.

You have something very special to look forward to!
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 11-24-2022, 09:05 AM

I'm having a couple of instruments built right now by the up-and-coming Scottish luthier, Oska Burman. He's a big fan of the so-called "double side construction" technique, which he uses on all his guitars, I believe. I'm not too informed on the ins and outs, but if Oska says it makes a difference, then I'm all for it. I'm sure the luthiers who are using double sides have put a great deal of thought into the reasoning and the process, so I don't think double sides are any fly-by-the-seat of-your-pants operation.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Cheers,
Steve
My Sands is Swiss moon spruce (if I remember correctly) and Bog Oak. The bridge and fretboard are also bog oak. It is very dark with really pretty grain figure if you look closely. I think the bog oak is a good fretboard choice.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:39 PM

The box is all closed up .

Sticking with Ziricote for the binding, fretboard, and headstock overlay/backstrap. Walnut neck.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
I love Tom's instruments...I've owned several and there's a magic to them that's seldom seen elsewhere.

The way he simultaneously makes his instrument look incredibly modern but still traditional speaks of how much he cares about the design and aesthetic. The attention to detail is without equal and his choice of materials is so unusual and effective.

The excitement of waiting for it to be completed, delivered and played will keep you sitting on the edge of your seat and the excitement is wholly justified.

You have something very special to look forward to!
I’ve been a subscriber to his channel for some time and I like how transparent he is about what he does including showing his packages of wood from Stew Mac? Imo he’s one of the better more interesting of the Symogyi apprentices as he quickly developed his own style. Seems like a really talented guy who started out as a cabinet maker and ended up in California. Can’t wait to see this one finished as well.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
I'm having a couple of instruments built right now by the up-and-coming Scottish luthier, Oska Burman. He's a big fan of the so-called "double side construction" technique, which he uses on all his guitars, I believe. I'm not too informed on the ins and outs, but if Oska says it makes a difference, then I'm all for it. I'm sure the luthiers who are using double sides have put a great deal of thought into the reasoning and the process, so I don't think double sides are any fly-by-the-seat of-your-pants operation.
I checked out Oska's site and demos - really nice stuff. What models are you getting?
Added to the very long list of guitars I hope to own some day...
Old 12-01-2022, 12:22 AM

I learned something new today: Went to dinner with my wife at a restaurant in San Francisco – New Laurel. We had "Bay Laurel ice cream" for dessert, and I said "You know, another name for Bay Laurel? Oregon Myrtle, which also happens to be the wood Tom Sands is using for my guitar."

She didn't believe me, so I looked it up. Turns out she was right (of course). Oregon Myrtle is the same tree as California Bay Laurel, or Pepperwood. [plain old] Bay Laurel (from which Bay Leaves are harvested) is native to the Mediterranean, and are not at all closely related to California Bay Laurel. Native Americans used California Bay Laurel leaves for seasoning, and the leaves are vaguely similar in appearance to Bay Laurel leaves, so early western settlers named the tree California Bay Laurel. Go figure.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:30 AM

Anyhoo, apart from the expectation this will be the greatest guitar I'll ever play (no pressure Tom), one thing I'm really excited about is the secret humble material for the side dot inlay. Anyone care to take a guess?

Old 12-01-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralfluff View Post
Anyhoo, apart from the expectation this will be the greatest guitar I'll ever play (no pressure Tom), one thing I'm really excited about is the secret humble material for the side dot inlay. Anyone care to take a guess?

I know! I know! Won't spoil the game for others though - saw this on Tom's IG. Looking great so far.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Enjoying following the progress of this build!

What tuning machines did you select?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop