The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 04:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That will be a stunning guitar. How could it not be with Mark's touch and those woods! That Bubinga is special.
Thanks Tom! The colors will really pop when I put the black binding on this one.
The fretboard inlay colors and additional abalone will also dress things up quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..to that Bubinga.. it looks like a reflection on a water surface in late light... a bit browner, ok...👌🏻
Thanks Lonzo, the figure has a real sparkle. I see your comparison with water reflections. It is even more pronounced when I move it under light.

Thanks for e comments!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Great work Mark,

Thanks for the nice detail shots. I appreciate the time you put into taking such great photos. My shots from the shop are much more candid. I should at least clean up a bit
Old 03-25-2021, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Great work Mark,

Thanks for the nice detail shots. I appreciate the time you put into taking such great photos. My shots from the shop are much more candid. I should at least clean up a bit
You're welcome John, glad to see you posting!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Binding

I'm excited to finish up the trim work on this guitar this week. It will be done with Black Ebony and the top will have abalone purfling.
This is the first Penelope I have done with an arm bevel which will also be Black Ebony. The body binding is pretty much all glued in so Monday I'll finish up the arm bevel and clean everything up:

Thank for viewing!
Mark

Old 03-30-2021, 06:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Front Progress Shot

Here are a couple pictures of the Penelope x-over. I've capped the arm bevel and cleaned it up enough for a peak of thing to come:

Thanks for following along!
Mark

Old 03-30-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here are a couple pictures of the Penelope x-over. I've capped the arm bevel and cleaned it up enough for a peak of thing to come:

Thanks for following along!
Mark
Such nice guitars we get to see here, the above 2 to start with, and in other current threads... thanks for sharing ! A joy to watch and follow along!
Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Such nice guitars we get to see here, the above 2 to start with, and in other current threads... thanks for sharing ! A joy to watch and follow along!
Thanks Lonzo!

Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Mark,

I took a couple of minutes this morning as I was trying to wake up with a cup of coffee to go back through this thread. Thanks for your great posts.

First off, you need to have a messier shop, you are making me look bad.

I really like the Larry Robinson Inlay on the fretboard. He is an incredible talent. I have sketches somewhere in my office (Please don't show me how organized your office is ) Anyway, I have hoped to do some sort of (new) vine flower at some point. It will take some inspiration to get the sketches to implementation. Another thing on my list of things to do.

The wood sets are gorgeous. I love the tree set and the Bubinga is not too shabby either.

On another note, I see you are using the Irwin Quick grip mini bar clamps. You obviously like them. Mine are terrible. They have no clamping power and slip. It is not just one bad one, the whole bunch of them slip. I still have them but only use them when I don't need much pressure. I hate to throw stuff away, but (mine) are junk.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Mark,

I took a couple of minutes this morning as I was trying to wake up with a cup of coffee to go back through this thread. Thanks for your great posts.

First off, you need to have a messier shop, you are making me look bad.

I really like the Larry Robinson Inlay on the fretboard. He is an incredible talent. I have sketches somewhere in my office (Please don't show me how organized your office is ) Anyway, I have hoped to do some sort of (new) vine flower at some point. It will take some inspiration to get the sketches to implementation. Another thing on my list of things to do.

The wood sets are gorgeous. I love the tree set and the Bubinga is not too shabby either.

On another note, I see you are using the Irwin Quick grip mini bar clamps. You obviously like them. Mine are terrible. They have no clamping power and slip. It is not just one bad one, the whole bunch of them slip. I still have them but only use them when I don't need much pressure. I hate to throw stuff away, but (mine) are junk.
Thanks John, My only secret to keeping the shop organized is the only things in the shop are for building guitars. If it isn't an active participant it's out of there!

I started using those Irwin Quick clamps a long time ago when I was building cedar strip kayaks. They were black back then. They worked great then and they work great now. They are lightweight and the clamping force is easily adjustable and I am never short on clamping force. I particularly like how easily they are used one handed.

The only slip I ever have is they can slip out of their rubber shoe if I don't line them up correctly. So there you have it, maybe you got stuck with some knock off?

Thanks for your comments
Mark

Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Mark,

John, I was wondering how you and I could have such different experiences with those Irwin clamps so I did a little research. You mentioned Irwin quick grip mini bar clamps. That is not what I am using. I am using the quick grip bar clamps which is the next one up in strength.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks John, My only secret to keeping the shop organized is the only things in the shop are for building guitars. If it isn't an active participant it's out of there!

I started using those Irwin Quick clamps a long time ago when I was building cedar strip kayaks. They were black back then. They worked great then and they work great now. They are lightweight and the clamping force is easily adjustable and I am never short on clamping force. I particularly like how easily they are used one handed.

The only slip I ever have is they can slip out of their rubber shoe if I don't line them up correctly. So there you have it, maybe you got stuck with some knock off?

Thanks for your comments
Mark
Mark, I think with a little more careful placement you could get 3-4 more clamps in there.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Mark, I think with a little more careful placement you could get 3-4 more clamps in there.
Hey use 'em if you got 'em

Old 04-05-2021, 09:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default "Tree" Josie small jumbo update

I've been quietly working away these past several weeks french polishing the top of this "Tree" Josie small jumbo. I am now getting to the last steps in this process:

I've also been picking away at some of the other final details like mounting the gold Waverly slot head tuners with Snakewood buttons:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this fat lady sing!

Old 04-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

That is looking quite beautiful Mark!
Old 04-05-2021, 03:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
That is looking quite beautiful Mark!
Thank you nootis. I am getting the French polish to blend well into the other finish. The top of the arm bevel is the urethane finish so there just isn’t any need to touch the French polish at all when playing.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop