The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
The 2010’s could be seen as the decade when many social norms started to evolve. It was also the decade when social media cemented itself as a driver of culture. The smartphone war was on its second generation and intensified to today’s smartphones being more powerful than high end PC’s from 2009.

The entertainment industry did more of the same. I can’t think of a memorable movie or music album that was released in this decade. However, YouTube, periscope, and Instagram and other social media driven video creating sites, gave birth to a new era of celebrities. There is now such thing as an “Instagram model”, and “YouTube star”. And they’re making quite the lucrative income to back up their “star” titles.

This is also the decade when the bulk of the millennials entered early adulthood after going through the 2008-2012 recession. And with that, they developed a different mindset towards established socioeconomic norms. Millennials now don’t really care about having the dream job with the big house with white picket fence, and nice car. They rather grab a backpack and a one-way ticket to anywhere and experience the world.

I’m expecting the 2020’s to be the decade when we reach the green technology that will not only make sense to most, but that it will truly replace fossil fuels. So we’ll see.
I never thought of that but you're correct, social media made a significant impact to our culture and it's here to stay. I don't have any social media accounts there's no escaping it ... it even makes my news feeds.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I never thought of that but you're correct, social media made a significant impact to our culture and it's here to stay. I don't have any social media accounts there's no escaping it ... it even makes my news feeds.
The acoustic guitar forum is a form of social media so you're right, there is no escaping it!!!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Time enough for that once we get this planet sorted.
Gotta love the optimism. Realistic? Probably not. But there’s always hope.
Gretsch G5622T-CB Georgia Green
Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Personally, I’m still missing the 90s.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Personally, I’m still missing the 90s.
Ha! I miss the 80’s!
Yamaha FSX700SC
Elixir PB Lights
SWR Strawberry Blond amplifier
Dunlop Tortex Blue 1.0mm picks
Rock Steady celluloid heavy picks
Old 12-26-2019, 12:31 PM

This past decade will forever be remembered as the decade during which my life was turned on its ear.

My wife and I split in 2012. That helped me decide that I was no longer content doing the 8:00-4:40 corporate thing. I gave that all up and changed direction completely. I spent six months in Portland, Oregon before moving to Florida by way of Pennsylvania. This was for a nine week photography job that convinced me that I'd found a new path.

I moved to Florida in August of 2013 and have never looked back, relishing in the life I've found. I make a fraction of what I made when I was punching a clock, but I am infinitely more happy...
Old 12-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

2010 was full of milestones:
Kids started careers after college
Daughter got married
Daughter and wonderful son in law bought a spec home behind us
First grandson and granddaughter born
Wonderful mother in law went to heaven
Bought a condo in Florida
Wild career roller coaster ride as I was caught up with 5 different pharmaceutical companies my last 5 years due to buy outs
Retired in January 2019
Now full time Paw Paw, supermodel and on the tennis courts daily.
Yamaha FSX700SC
Elixir PB Lights
SWR Strawberry Blond amplifier
Dunlop Tortex Blue 1.0mm picks
Rock Steady celluloid heavy picks
Old 12-26-2019, 12:41 PM

This decade has brought lots of changes for me. I moved and started a new career in 2011. In 2013 I met my wife, and we got married in 2015. We were thrilled to find out we’ll be having a daughter in early 2020. And then my dad passed on December 13.

Come to think of it, I’ve experienced more profound changes in the last decade than perhaps any other time - most of them good, some of them pretty tough.

I’m optimistic for the future. I’m having my first child at 41, so I really hope I can stay healthy and have the energy to keep up with her. I know I need to make some changes to that end.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:26 PM

Last decade has been a blur lol, I guess the main things I learned was to embrace the uncertainty, don't dwell on the past (let it go), don't procrastinate (just do it), and grateful for the best person in my life: my wife
Old 12-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Ha! I miss the 80’s!
I miss the music of the 80s.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I miss the music of the 80s.
Me too, but my aim is getting better!
Old 12-27-2019, 06:42 AM

I'm seeing a flood of Patriotism and optimism here in the Heartland. It's quite refreshing.

New investment, new business's, American flags EVERYWHERE.

2020 is shaping up quite nicely from my view.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
A decade full of increasing instant news giving the average Joe way too much info .
Can you imagine the '70s Boston Bruins and Mike Milbury being on social media and instant news feeds after climbing into the stands during a game and beating up a guy with they guy's shoe? I saw that clip again yesterday, made me laugh and horrified at the same time.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

mmm,been thinking about this - don't have a great memory.. but .

2010 - 3rd year of retirement. May - General Election. October - Bought Collings DS1, Shoulder op. So many gigs - photographic and music.

2011 - Feb - Bought Gibson L-4 from USA, April, Mother-in-Law dies, August - Bought Martin D12-20 from US, Lots of gigs, Dec - To Africa.

2012 - May2012 - bought Collings Ds1ASB. Tried to move house, unsuccessful.

2013 -March - good friend and mentor dies, May - Jane falls in garden, arm and legs injured. July - another operation. August Didmarton Bluegrass fest, September - flight in Stearman, Duxford air show, & Cornwall Bluegrass festival. Oct - another friend dies.

2014 - Visit BBC in London. July - thatched Pub where I hold my club burns down. August - Didmarton Bluegrass Fest, Sept Cornwall B.g fest, Buy Santa Cruz Roy Smeck from US.

2015 - May 2015 General Election, July Bought National Estralita

2016 - June - EU referendum. November - bought Waterloo WL-12 and had first throat examination. (Same day) Various tests.

2017 - January - told I had throat/tongue cancer. tests, biopsies tests, Maxio/facial teeth removal, - Chemo & Radio April-May. Rest of year write off.
End of photo judging and lecturing after nearly 28 years. June - genral election. Sept - bought Harmony 12 string.

2018 - recovery year. June: Jane bought banjo for me, July - I bought Eastman AR805.

2019 - Hand op, Dupuytrens Contracture diagnosed. lots of hand issues. Sold first Collings, Another good friend dies. I bought Eastman e20-P

2020 - 2030 ? I'll be 72 in 2020. Probably my last decade. How much of it remains be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 12-27-2019, 12:54 PM

Overall, it was a good decade for me, aside from some ongoing health issues. I have been fortunate to travel the world: Hawaii, Singapore, Thailand, Ireland, Tahiti / Moorea / Bora Bora, Mexico, Costa Rica, and various places within the U.S. Our kids traveled many of these places with us, and I have enjoyed watching my kids develop from toddlers to teen and tween, respectively.

Physically, the decade began with two major surgeries (throat 2010, knee 2011). The knee recovery has been problematic and caused more health issues this decade, resulting in a third major surgery in 2017. Financially, it was a prosperous decade, driven by a healthy stock market and a string of real estate ventures, both here and in Costa Rica. These were all game-changers, which may enable us to retire early, so I can focus more on my health and family. I wish for better work/life balance and improved health in the 2020s.

Avoiding the taboo topics of this forum, I do have concerns for the environmental, societal, and political direction we've taken during this decade. Others already made some insightful observations about social media's impact on how we interact, and I hope we can find some balance there, as well. And I hope we can find the civility that's been lost within our culture and leave things better for our kids and grandkids than we're presently doing.

Finally, musically, I had taken 10 years off from playing guitar (2005-2015), so the last half of the decade has been fantastic to immerse myself into understanding and appreciating acoustic guitars. I spent the first half doing the same with the wine industry, and the parallels are surprisingly many. Both are a wonderful and diverse result of mixing art with science.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic