The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2019, 09:15 AM

I'll second Billy's recommendation of Music a Villa in Bozeman. Bought a Taylor Koa and a classical guitar from them. Great selection and I love their collection of vintage gear hanging from the ceiling. Hansen's in Billings Has a nice selection of Martins, Taylors, Fender. Just bought my Fender Acoustisonic Tele from them. No sales tax is a boon buying in Montana. We are "supposed" to pay it when we return to Wyoming however...
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 12-24-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I have heard (but not researched) that the way the mountains are lined up from Jackson all the way into Canada kinda funnels that cold arctic are down.
To further clarify The Rocky mountains (i.e. Continental Divide) runs basically from the subarctic (Yukon/NW Territories) to Mexico

So yes if the front is coming south down on the west slope of the Rockies it will cause significant cold in Jackson and often down into N. Utah and Northwest Colorado albeit typically less colder the further South you go.

If it is coming down the east slope , then it can be colder in Casper and even sometimes but rarely Cheyenne but typically the reverse is true.
Currently here it is snowing lightly and intermittently and 22 degrees But I am at 8000 ft. and probably a bit warmer than Jackson.

When we first moved to Jackson in 1980 there was in fact one Guitar store and they had a small but nice offering of guitars including the Taylor 12 string 750 my wife bought for me . Unfortunately as noted the small resident population about 10,500 was apparently not sufficient for it to survive . There actually is a fairly new very small store but it has only a couple ( like 4 or 5 total) very inexpensive guitars (maybe Cort) a few pedals, picks , and some music books

There are some plus's though when it looks like this outside, besides being inspirational , it's is a good time to sit and strum away the day

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-24-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
It's what we lovingly refer to as "The Big Empty". Someone needs to write a song about it.

It's also been described as "one step above sensory deprivation".

Take your pick.

One large challenge is to drive your camper forever to the middle of nowhere, get a fire going, pull out your guitar, and try to strum something that doesn't sound ridiculously small when confronted with infinity.
Hi zmf…

When I show people from the Coastal regions of the USA (either coast) pictures I've shot in Wyoming, S. Dakota, Montana etc they accuse me of doctoring the skies. Here's one from a sunset in the Badlands of South Dakota.

Peaceful country when you're sitting by the campfire and playing music.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-24-2019, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Larry, thanks for the clarification on the geography and the Rockies, etc. Makes sense. I also looked at Ketchem, ID, yesterday. Similar latitude and elevation to Jackson, but about 10-15 degrees warmer.

I'm a wimpy SoCal boy -- I confess it. Grew up in Ohio, but that blood thinned decades ago.

Thanks Again, Larry,

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion