The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 PM
ruger9 ruger9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Cedar and mahogany are two strikes against getting a bright sound. Best bet is to pick a little closer to the bridge.
That will be more effective than playing around with string brands, etc..
I'm not looking for "a bright sound", this is a very warm/soft souding guitar, and I'm looking for strings that could help accentuate the punch and balance of it... which would, in fact, "balance" the tone- not make it "bright".

Think of it this way:

Most of you put strings on, and they are kinda' bright to start with, then they "settle in" nicely. then they get dull.

With THIS guitar, new strings ARE (sound) "settled in nicely", and by a week later (after they actually settle in) they sound dead (they are not dead; I don't play acoustic that much).

Which is why Elixirs (coated strings) work well with THIS guitar. But I don't like the slightly higher tension of the Elixirs. I wonder if Martin Lifespans are more "normal" tension (not as stiff as the Elixir Nanos)?
__________________
2010 Yamaha FG720S (DN)
2008 Walden CG570CE (GA)
1991 Ovation 1769 Custom Legend Deep Bowl Cutaway

Last edited by ruger9; 01-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Standicz Standicz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I wonder if Martin Lifespans are more "normal" tension (not as stiff as the Elixir Nanos)?
The same gauge will have the same tension. Correct me if I'm wrong. Did you try to lower the action? In any case, try the Martins and see if you like them! That's the best thing you can do.
__________________
Furch Om22CM
Furch D31SR
Aria Pro2 Bass
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 13,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I'm not looking for "a bright sound", this is a very warm/soft souding guitar, and I'm looking for strings that could help accentuate the punch and balance of it... which would, in fact, "balance" the tone- not make it "bright".

Think of it this way:

Most of you put strings on, and they are kinda' bright to start with, then they "settle in" nicely. then they get dull.

With THIS guitar, new strings ARE (sound) "settled in nicely", and by a week later (after they actually settle in) they sound dead (they are not dead; I don't play acoustic that much).

Which is why Elixirs (coated strings) work well with THIS guitar. But I don't like the slightly higher tension of the Elixirs. I wonder if Martin Lifespans are more "normal" tension (not as stiff as the Elixir Nanos)?
Martin PB light sets have more total tension than Elixir Nano light. Maybe something with the slicker feel bothering you.

Bronze strings sets have slightly lower tension the PB sets.

If you want more punch and clarity play a little closer to the bridge. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RpggOr2p74
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-16-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 12,934
Default

1. D'Addario Nickel Bronze
2. Martin Titanium ... and yep, they're $39.99 a set.
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM
ruger9 ruger9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Martin PB light sets have more total tension than Elixir Nano light. Maybe something with the slicker feel bothering you.

Yes, I looked that up... interesting... certainly didn't FEEL that way!
__________________
2010 Yamaha FG720S (DN)
2008 Walden CG570CE (GA)
1991 Ovation 1769 Custom Legend Deep Bowl Cutaway
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM
ruger9 ruger9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
1. D'Addario Nickel Bronze
2. Martin Titanium ... and yep, they're $39.99 a set.
I've wondered about those Titaniums....

My situation is kind of unique, might actually be worth the price IF they work...

I change my acoustic strings only 2-3 times a year. Because they don't get a ton of use, I'm primarily an electric guy. So my guitar hangs for months between changes, and only gets played comparatively little. So, $80 for a year's worth of strings isn't TOO terrible, compared to you guys who play alot and change them every couple weeks...
__________________
2010 Yamaha FG720S (DN)
2008 Walden CG570CE (GA)
1991 Ovation 1769 Custom Legend Deep Bowl Cutaway
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 12,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I've wondered about those Titaniums....

My situation is kind of unique, might actually be worth the price IF they work...

I change my acoustic strings only 2-3 times a year. Because they don't get a ton of use, I'm primarily an electric guy. So my guitar hangs for months between changes, and only gets played comparatively little. So, $80 for a year's worth of strings isn't TOO terrible, compared to you guys who play alot and change them every couple weeks...
I got a good 10 months out of the set I tried.
Nice feel, great tone and excellent volume.
Uncanny ability to stay in tune for the 1st 6 months.

Round core so don't cut them until they're up to tune.
Also read of some breakages from users that like to change tuning a lot - I didn't change tuning on mine and they stayed good.
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:32 PM
tippy5 tippy5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,774
Default

Once you are used to Elixir tone (I love it on some of mine too) it is not easy to find that anywhere else. I like the TI Spectrums for less tension, string longevity and woody tone. Or I would try the hybrid Elixirs 54-11. They are less tension and subsequently a little less tone. But it is the tone of the Elixir you want to duplicate.

Are you missing chord, or single note, vibrato with the high tension?
Or do you have sore fingers?
Have you tried lowering the action?
Gotten a pro setup? A great setup can reduce the perceived string tension.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 AM
ruger9 ruger9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Once you are used to Elixir tone (I love it on some of mine too) it is not easy to find that anywhere else. I like the TI Spectrums for less tension, string longevity and woody tone. Or I would try the hybrid Elixirs 54-11. They are less tension and subsequently a little less tone. But it is the tone of the Elixir you want to duplicate.

Are you missing chord, or single note, vibrato with the high tension?
Or do you have sore fingers?
Have you tried lowering the action?
Gotten a pro setup? A great setup can reduce the perceived string tension.
Being primarily a rock/blues player, I like to bend. Alot.
I don't want the action any lower, I like it on the medium side. i'm one of those guys that like some fight. Tension on the Sunbeams is great. 12s. I don't like 11s on this guitar, of any brand. If I were a fingerstyle player perhaps, but I'm a pick guy. Sort of a strummer/picker (not a flatpicker and not an "only strummer")

I see the Martin TIs are also round core, and have lower tension.

After looking up tension numbers (NO ONE has tension numbers on Sunbeams??), it seems the Martin SP Flexible Core "Tommy's Choice" (I had lying around), are higher tension than even the Elixirs... so I will re-try the Elixir Nanos again. The string longevity really makes it worth it for me, since I DON'T play alot of acoustic.

And, being silly, I'll probably drop $40 on a set of those Martin TIs as well....


The Sunbeams work great for gigs- put on fresh strings, play the gig (alot of strumming), then change them after. They just don't last, hanging on the wall for months.... at least not for this guitar/me... love how they sound when new/ish tho.
__________________
2010 Yamaha FG720S (DN)
2008 Walden CG570CE (GA)
1991 Ovation 1769 Custom Legend Deep Bowl Cutaway
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=