The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Hi everybody,

I had the good luck to have some visitors to the shop post Woodstock- Lars Rasmussen and Dan Krugman (DDK guitars) stopped by on their way(s) home and we had a great time talking shop, eating some good food, and recognizing that we should probably be hanging out all the time

Both of these guys do amazing work. Lars delivered a mahogany guitar at the show that was amazing, I saw many people playing it and just completely absorbed in what it was giving them. A great great guitar.

Dan is in deep absorb mode working in Ken Parkers shop. Can't wait to see what he is making when he fully emerges.

shop visitors by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

What would a luthier visit be without some some good old wood ogling? I dug deep into the pile and pulled out this grouping of boards I have been sitting on for 10 years or so. Perfect Cocobolo- Deep color, perfectly quartersawn and silky, spiderwebbed, and a mild beeswing too. These will make true master grade sets (if you can consider a 4 pc back master grade). Excited to make some beautiful guitars with this- someday.

Coco1.2 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Coco3 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Coco5 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Coco2 stack by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr
Four letters... O. M. F. G!
Old 11-24-2018, 06:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Louie, my sentiments exactly!!

More stuff going on, tools and guitars and shopwork-

First up are some new cabinets. I've been staring at some quick n dirty melamine shelves for too long right at eye level at my main bench. I'd also been staring a this myrtle board I bought years ago and wondering if I'd ever get the order or inclination to finally make a guitar from it. I finally decided probably not but I didn't want to stop looking at it so.....

drawers front by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

drawers down side by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Now I get to look at it all the time, which I'm pysched about. Also pretty happy to have this nice storage option. Still getting used to what is stored where but it'll come.

Also put a tool to use that I had finished a while back- A small vacuum table to hold down tops and backs while I do the final thicknessing with my scraping plane. Id had the plane catch on the fragile edges and really scare me that i'd crack the plates. This does a great job at holding them down. I made the surface slightly convex too so my scraper never bottoms out. All in all a very satisfying upgrade from the clamps I had been using.

vac table by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

vac table and top by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 11-24-2018, 06:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Also finished a tool for my lathe, a radius cutter able to make interior and exterior radius cuts. Now I can literally cut balls of steel My life is complete.

I've been slowly working on this tool for years waiting for my skills to catch up with my designs. I'm pretty happy with it as is, I think it will be helpful for some nice detail work I've been working around in other ways. Is there a direct guitar related use for it right now?? Well, no- but if I've learned anything its that I'll find one soon enough

Here are some pictures:

radius tool whole by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

radius tool 2 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

radius tool 3 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

And a shot in use on the lathe testing it out on a brass ball handle:

radius tool on lathe by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

And what is a shop update without some guitar shots? I'm still french polishing the maple Ditson and it is really starting to glow. I'm past the halfway point building up the film and so far very happy with the color and depth of the birdseye. The color and figure in the wood change quite a bit depending on the angle you view it from. I think the dark neck will really look rich against the amber/yellow body. This guy should have a bridge and strings in a few weeks.

Birdseye shellac 4 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 11-24-2018, 06:35 PM

All cool stuff. Glad you know how to use the new lathe tool, it would be a paperweight for me.

That Myrtle, really, no guitar from THAT! You must have some really nice "other" choices to turn that gorgeous stuff into what are now gorgeous storage units!!!!

You are a renaissance man!
Old 11-24-2018, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Burton, I love your posts. You always have something fascinating going on. Those must be the nicest cabinets in any luthier's shop! That cocobolo is beautiful, but I was getting a rash just looking at it!

Ken
Old 11-25-2018, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Gorgeous cabinets Burton. Here's hoping you never have to reach for a drawer when you have goop on your hands.

Love the scraped surfaces of your ball cutter. Are those hand scraped or power scraped? That is truly a dying art and glad you have acquired the skills to use it. Hope you are able to pass the skill down to someone else too.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

The Ditson is looking absolutely spectacular!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:25 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

Dude, can you build me an automated French press?
2019 Brondel A2c

On deck:

2021 LeGeyt CLM Tree/Smoky Spruce
2021 Kostal MDW

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 11-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Dude, can you build me an automated French press?

Sweet, two please! With some of that Coco for a base please.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hmmmmm. You guys are giving me an idea....

Maybe a Cyber Monday two for one? order a guitar and get a free Cocobolo French press? Would it have to also be french polished???????

Matthew, I can install a "parent of small children" option that automatically doubles the caffeine level of the coffee. I'd use it!

Facebook
Instagram
Old 11-26-2018, 01:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That Myrtle, really, no guitar from THAT! You must have some really nice "other" choices to turn that gorgeous stuff into what are now gorgeous storage units!!!!
Its not always the fanciest stuff that catches your eye, that myrtle has been in the back of my mind for years! I have more figured Myrtle boards and technically higher grade stuff but that one just spoke to me. I have an Indian Rosewood set that is the same way. I couldn't tell you what was so great about it but I secretly want it for myself.

In that vein- I've finally planned a guitar for myself. I'm thinking I might schedule one in every few years to be able to try out new ideas and take risks that are harder to do on a client's guitar- play them for a few years and then pass on a nicely discounted broken in guitar.

I picked out a set of my favorite figure in my favorite wood- specifically mahogany, and plum pudding figure. Don't know why I like it so much but I really do. Got this set in very recently and said to myself. Nope, that one is mine.

Pairing it with a reject top from a recent rosette experiment. top revealed some dark lines right on the join line. That by itself might not be a total deal breaker but the rosette center line slightly distorted when installing it. It will need to be repaired, which will take some dedicated detail time. fine for my guitar-

here they are as now.

plum pudding mahog copy by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

My rosette copy by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 11-26-2018, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Gorgeous cabinets Burton. Here's hoping you never have to reach for a drawer when you have goop on your hands.

Love the scraped surfaces of your ball cutter. Are those hand scraped or power scraped? That is truly a dying art and glad you have acquired the skills to use it. Hope you are able to pass the skill down to someone else too.
I made a few extra knobs thinking I just might ruin one by accident one day! Hopefully I won't need them.

The surfaces on the ball cutter are hand done. Pretty quick on those small surfaces and as they aren't real bearing surfaces they don't need to be so intense.

I do have a power scraper though and use it on bigger projects or super high PPI surfaces, like this prism I have been working on:

scraped prism by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

That one will only be used to spot other surfaces and is almost ready, close to 40 ppi over the whole thing.

I have been able to pass along the methods, which is very very satisfying. I have been lucky to have a few students in each new class who are interested and already know a little about it. Not hard to get people like that to dig in a bit and develop the skill- A few of them have gotten pretty good and rebuilt a few small tools to better then new condition. I was very proud of them

Facebook
Instagram
Old 11-27-2018, 09:52 AM
In flagrante ex-officio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Hmmmmm. You guys are giving me an idea....

Maybe a Cyber Monday two for one? order a guitar and get a free Cocobolo French press? Would it have to also be french polished???????

Matthew, I can install a "parent of small children" option that automatically doubles the caffeine level of the coffee. I'd use it!
It's like the "I feel lucky" button on my cocktail mixer
2019 Brondel A2c

On deck:

2021 LeGeyt CLM Tree/Smoky Spruce
2021 Kostal MDW

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 01-18-2019, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I realize I have been slacking on my thread! These things really demand constant updates to be what they should be, an exciting glimpse into the working of a shop. These sporadic posts make it hard for anyone to follow along. I'm looking to work on that in 2019. For now though....

I had the Ditson done, or so I thought..... But a small detail on the headstock face was losing me sleep so it was remedied. To the tune of another 2 weeks curing time. Small price to pay for some peaceful rest

I did snap some photos of it all together before re-working it. So happy with it. This is by far the thinnest finish I have applied, thinner even than other french polishes I have done. I paid more attention to the surface prep than in the past and it paid some dividends. In raking light you can see the texture in the wood, even in the maple. Which I like quite a bit actually. In direct light, though, you get a nice unbroken reflection. I'm expecting some magic from the tone with this thin coat

I expect strings by Monday and shipping out to New Orleans at the end of the month!

Ditson-with-neck-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson-from-front-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson-in-light-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop