The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default LeGeyt Instruments 2018

Hi everyone!

I've been moving along in my shop and making progress on this year's builds. I spent much of the beginning of this year working on important but mundane stuff: preparing years worth of braces, improving fixtures and jigs etc.... Good stuff for sure but not the most exciting or photogenic work

I have 3 guitars I am working on now that I expect to finish up later this year. I'll share some of the details of each now and keep up with them as they progress throughout the year.

I've been working on them all at the same time although when the finer detail works starts I may prioritize one over the others. At this point the rims, blocks, and linings are all installed and the plates are prepared and rosettes installed. Here are some shots of all 3 bodies together.

WEB--3-bodies-butt-ends by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--3-bodies-back-side by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB-rims-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--PR-linings-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

First up is an experiment of sorts. Considering how much fun I had working on Matthew Partricks renaissance guitar last year I couldn't resist another retro style instrument on the bench- This one is heavily styled on the concert sized Ditson and is being built in Birdseye maple and Lutz spruce.

It ook me a while to feel right about the shape. Surprisingly long, really. usually I can draw something and only need to modify it a few times. This one took weeks of staring and tweaking. Once I had it, though, it felt right and it still does. I'm very curious to hear what it will sound like- How it will look too, it will be french polished with some color. I think the maple is going to look great.

For the rosette I am using the style I used on last years rosewood guitar I had with me at Woodstock. Half moons in resin (with gold flake on this one!) inlaid around the soundhole. I think there are a lot of possibilities for this template and I'm not even close to sick of it. Lots more ideas in that vein for the future....

WEB--Maple-and-parts by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--Ditson-shape by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--Ditson-rosette by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--Ditson-rosette-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Everything you touch turns awesome. So glad you're posting! I can't wait for my build next year.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Next up is an Amazon rosewood and Swiss moonspruce CLM. This is the only spec guitar of the three and will be available through Mike Joyce at Luthiers Collection. I am hoping to have this with me at Woodstock also. I'm on the waitlist to exhibit but there are lots of after hours options to play great instruments I'll be there either way.

This one is very similar to much of my recent work. Perfect QS rosewood, bevel cutaway. I expect this will have inset tuners and a decorative backplate too.

I am using the same rosette template as the Ditson here and again with the gold flake resin in the rosette. A little more color here, the variegated oranges and browns in the logwood burl seem well set off by the pale blue in the resin. I think it will really be a nice detail under the gloss.

WEB--Amazon-and-parts by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--CLM-rosette-whole by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--CLM-rosette-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

And last, a Cuban mahogany and Red spruce model CL. This one is a second guitar of mine for a wonderful guy from Germany. The hope is that it will be a good complement to his Lutz/Mahog CLM. The Red spruce is a monster piece of wood, I can't wait to hear it open up.

I've used Cuban Mahogany many times and have loved it every time. This is the only set I have had that is similar to the great sets that went around years ago- many sold by Brad Goodman I think. The depth and color in it are going to be phenomenal- I can't wait to see it pop!

I stretched myself on this rosette too. It looks pretty simple but I can't stress how much work went into getting it just right. I love the idea of small areas of complexity and detail on the guitar. And making my own herringbones has been a way for me to explore that. I've been wanting to go a bit deeper though and my idea was to stretch out the pattern- make it "grow" as it moves around the rosette. While, of course, keeping the points matched up. This to me is the sign of a handcrafted detail- even the old Martin herringbones don't maintain their pattern around the instrument.

It took so much longer than I expected. I fully made the glue ups three times before I got one in the guitar that I was happy with. I'm sure it doesn't translate as that- I think most people will look at it and not even notice that it shifts. But, it does, and for the few who understand what went into it I hope I get a little tip of the hat I'm into it. Anytime I can reward deeper scrutiny of a detail I am happy.

Anyway- here it is:

WEB--mahog-back-plate by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--CL-rosette-second by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--CL-rosette-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 12:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

And last but not least- I had the chance to attend a class in the spring on the use of a rose engine. Specifically, in the art of guilloche. If you are not familiar with this then by all means there is a youtube rabbit hole waiting for you

The rose engine is a hand powered machine that can somewhat be though of as the child of a lathe and a spirograph- Most of the best examples were built at the turn of last century and are extremely old by now. I was able to travel to the Pacific NW and use a few pristine examples of the older machines as well as an amazing newer one made by Lindow machine works in PA.

I've been curious about these tools for years and they are difficult to get technical information on. Even more difficult to see in person. The decorative patterns they can produce are most often associated with fine watches and that is still what most people use them for. I, of course, want to use them on my guitars- The backplates I have been making are a perfect surface to utilize this wonderful process and I am working hard now on designing and making a machine I can use to incorporate this into my work. I think it will be wonderful for backplates but also tuning machines. It won't be happening soon, but I am hoping I can begin to explore using this for guitars sometime in 2019.

Here is a picture of one of the machines as well as a small dial I did at the class. Again, all hand power. This one is engraved into nickel silver.

WEB--rose-engine-whole by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--guilloche-shot by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Everything you touch turns awesome. So glad you're posting! I can't wait for my build next year.
Me too! It's going to be great.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a great lineup Burton, so much detail already even though you're at such an early stage. I really like that set of Cuban Mahogany; it does look similar to the sets sold by Brad Goodman (I have a set from Brad on my Poling Sierra).

Looking forward to following the builds.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-11-2018, 02:18 PM

I'm wild about that last rosette! Evolves from Classical Greece to M.C. Escher in one round!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Looks like a great lineup Burton, so much detail already even though you're at such an early stage. I really like that set of Cuban Mahogany; it does look similar to the sets sold by Brad Goodman (I have a set from Brad on my Poling Sierra).

Looking forward to following the builds.
Thanks Chuck. When I was presenting the Cuban I used a picture of your guitar to show what it would look like under finish

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I'm wild about that last rosette! Evolves from Classical Greece to M.C. Escher in one round!
Thanks Stan!

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Burton do yourself a favor and make a point to visit watchmaker Roland Murphy at RGM Watches (http://www.rgmwatches.com/guilloche/) in Pennsylvania. You are doing beautiful work with a distinct Burton point of view...

Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Klepper | Kukich | Sexauer
Old 07-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

GO BURTON....!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Burton,

Thanks for starting the thread on your recent work. I always love to see what you are up to. This quote (below) is very true of much of what I have been doing too. Actually later today or tomorrow I have to set up for a big brace run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been moving along in my shop and making progress on this year's builds. I spent much of the beginning of this year working on important but mundane stuff: preparing years worth of braces, improving fixtures and jigs etc....
Cool stuff on rose engine. In all my years of toolmaking, I never ran across one of those. Love the rosettes. I look forward to seeing these come together.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Burton do yourself a favor and make a point to visit watchmaker Roland Murphy at RGM Watches (http://www.rgmwatches.com/guilloche/) in Pennsylvania. You are doing beautiful work with a distinct Burton point of view...
Bob, I am very familiar with his work and have watched his videos using his rose engine. Such beautiful work- His IG feed is great too.

Facebook
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop