The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-01-2020, 11:38 AM

I understand that. I was just curious if there was an applicable alternative more appropriate alternative for musicians.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

I know several people who've used GoFundMe to finance their various recording projects. One of the bands raised 12,000 bucks that way, back when the idea was new! Everyone in that band had well paying jobs!

I'd never contribute to any sort of vanity project, fueled by a pity pitch for OPM, but certainly can understand why someone in a desperate would organize such a campaign...

Don
Old 01-01-2020, 08:25 PM

A good friend's wife was diagnosed with cancer last year. They live abroad, so their medical costs are covered through their national HC system, but they incurred some significant out of pocket costs during her treatment (she basically had to live 4-5 hours away for several months, while dad commuted back and forth with their 3yo son, while trying to keep their small businesses going). A GFM was created, so friends back in the States could help support them from far away. It's not something they asked for or initiated, but they were extremely grateful to receive the assistance, as it provided them with one less thing to concern themselves with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic