The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois OM Generation vs Country Boy

Hi all, after owning numerous guitars over the last few years, I’ve recently slimmed down my collection and have begun looking closer at OM size guitars and Bourgeois in particular. I’m particularly interested in a mahogany OM and have been listening to clips of both the country boy OM and the somewhat less expensive Generation OM which comes with a satin finish and L.R. Baggs pickup. The Generation models have been out about a year. Would love to hear from folks who have played them and thoughts on how they compare to the country boy. Is it worth the money to spring for the country boy or,is the Generation really the great value that it seems to be? Look forward to any comments folks have. Thanks, Mike
Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm also curious about this.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:50 AM

I've never played any brand of guitar where one model sounds like another. Likewise, I've loved some Bourgeois and disliked others. You should play both models, and several of each if possible, and select a guitar that really, really moves you.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi Mike, I really would encourage you to try and play some Bourgeois to get a baseline. I’ve found different models can vary wildly. While the general tone leans Martin/vintage voiced, some can also sound more Collings-like. Dana seems to go in different places tonally.

You should also really give the AT (Aged Tone) guitars a strong look. These are some of the most vibrant, loud, resonant, and vintage voiced guitars I’ve ever heard. There is an up charge, but imo totally worth it.

Good luck!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Do you prefer Adirondack or torrefied Sitka?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Hi all, after owning numerous guitars over the last few years, I’ve recently slimmed down my collection and have begun looking closer at OM size guitars and Bourgeois in particular. I’m particularly interested in a mahogany OM and have been listening to clips of both the country boy OM and the somewhat less expensive Generation OM which comes with a satin finish and L.R. Baggs pickup. The Generation models have been out about a year. Would love to hear from folks who have played them and thoughts on how they compare to the country boy. Is it worth the money to spring for the country boy or,is the Generation really the great value that it seems to be? Look forward to any comments folks have. Thanks, Mike
Dana built the Generation Guitars to include a pickup (LR Baggs Lyric) which needs a 9-volt battery. Check his web site for detailed info. All his other guitars are made as acoustics. One thing he taps tunes every guitar top. All his guitars are consistently high quality. I own an OM-Vintage and did a lot of playing and owning before getting it. By the way, a Torrified top adds about 30 years of aging to the top. Although his new guitars sound just as good as his old ones. The Country Boy is awesome, after playing several of his guitars I settled on the Vintage, just the one I liked more.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the helpful responses. I hope to be able to try out these models though given the lack of dealers nearby it may be tough. Appreciate hearing from folks as always. Happy Holidays!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion