The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-23-2019, 04:55 PM

A little over a year ago I bought a Blueridge BR-142 from Maury's Music (a sponsor and great place to buy). Price was about $550 without case, but I think it was "on sale". Worth a call to find out current price and availability.

Blueridge has a great reputation, and I have been totally satisfied with the guitar - tone, playability and build quality. Some do not care for the aging toner used on the top, and/or the headstock graphics, but they have grown on me. Also, I think they look better in person than in the photos.I would not hesitate to buy the solid top/laminate back and sides version if that is available.

This is a 12 fret, 1.75" nut, 2.25" string spacing spruce and mahogany guitar. It has the same body dimensions as a Martin OOO/OM. It has the 25.4" scale length of a Martin OM.

I have shoulder issues and find that the 1.5" or so of less extension is very comfortable. The higher tension of the 25.4" scale doesn't affect my comfort and I prefer the tone and feel. You can always tune down a half step if you mostly play alone.

Blueridge BR-142
Rainsong SMH
Rainsong WS1000
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Old 12-23-2019, 05:04 PM

The Guild P-240 Memoir meets those specs. I have one and really enjoy it. It's a single-0 sized parlor. They are around $500 brand new.

If you want a slightly larger (000) body, the Gretch G9521 is another one to look into. Closer to the middle of your price range.
Guild M-20 / P-240
Martin 00-17S / 0X2MAE
Waterloo WL-12MH
Gibson L-00 Studio
38 Kalamazoo KG-14
'30s Oscar Schmidt / '40s MayBell / 50s Stella

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion