The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM

I think I may have just bonded with the 517. I am working on a rendition of Noel, and my goodness I just got lost for an hour. The 517 is perfect for hybrid style finger picking with a pick and each note is clear, but woody.

Sometimes you just need to find a guitar’s niche. Wow.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:16 AM

517 and Martin D-15 Special, which is also Spruce over Mahogany back and sides. The Martin is both lighter and louder. And I’ve measured volume when they both had new strings.
Having played the 517 a lot for several months, the bass out of the Martin now seems boomy and even cardbox-y to my ear. It’s still a great guitar and I assume this is just a reflection of how our tastes can shift (or at least mine can).
Old 12-22-2019, 02:56 PM

I own a Lowden F35 Sitka / Cocobolo, a vclass 814ce dlx, the 717, and a Martin D-18GE. I play mostly with a pick.

In terms of volume, here's what I hear:

Lowden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 717>>>>>>>>814>D-18GE.

I've said it million times, but my D-18 is muddy and muffled--way too bassy--unless I have Ernie Ball AB strings on it. I imagine the addy top needs more time to break in, and there are times when I can't imagine a more beautiful sounding guitar, but overall this D-18 (which isn't a dud; it's just temperamental) does not overpower any of my guitars.

And I never found my old D-28 or D-35 very loud either.

Note: I do love them all.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
I own a Lowden F35 Sitka / Cocobolo, a vclass 814ce dlx, the 717, and a Martin D-18GE. I play mostly with a pick.

In terms of volume, here's what I hear:

Lowden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 717>>>>>>>>814>D-18GE.

I've said it million times, but my D-18 is muddy and muffled--way too bassy--unless I have Ernie Ball AB strings on it. I imagine the addy top needs more time to break in, and there are times when I can't imagine a more beautiful sounding guitar, but overall this D-18 (which isn't a dud; it's just temperamental) does not overpower any of my guitars.

And I never found my old D-28 or D-35 very loud either.

Note: I do love them all.
This is quite interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the perceived loudness of a Martin because of the increased low end. Either way, I can't complain with the projection of my 717 at all based on the fact that I could hear myself among 13 or so violinists at a recent recital.

I've been playing my 517 a lot this week, and I can honestly say that it sounds ace in the fingerstyle department. Definitely decided not to sell it and just stick with my GPs for now. There is a reason I've never held onto a Martin very long, and I'm trying to just remember that and stay satisfied for once in my life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion