The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I think I may have just bonded with the 517. I am working on a rendition of Noel, and my goodness I just got lost for an hour. The 517 is perfect for hybrid style finger picking with a pick and each note is clear, but woody.

Sometimes you just need to find a guitarís niche. Wow.
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

517 and Martin D-15 Special, which is also Spruce over Mahogany back and sides. The Martin is both lighter and louder. And Iíve measured volume when they both had new strings.
Having played the 517 a lot for several months, the bass out of the Martin now seems boomy and even cardbox-y to my ear. Itís still a great guitar and I assume this is just a reflection of how our tastes can shift (or at least mine can).
Old 12-22-2019, 02:56 PM

I own a Lowden F35 Sitka / Cocobolo, a vclass 814ce dlx, the 717, and a Martin D-18GE. I play mostly with a pick.

In terms of volume, here's what I hear:

Lowden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 717>>>>>>>>814>D-18GE.

I've said it million times, but my D-18 is muddy and muffled--way too bassy--unless I have Ernie Ball AB strings on it. I imagine the addy top needs more time to break in, and there are times when I can't imagine a more beautiful sounding guitar, but overall this D-18 (which isn't a dud; it's just temperamental) does not overpower any of my guitars.

And I never found my old D-28 or D-35 very loud either.

Note: I do love them all.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
I own a Lowden F35 Sitka / Cocobolo, a vclass 814ce dlx, the 717, and a Martin D-18GE. I play mostly with a pick.

In terms of volume, here's what I hear:

Lowden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 717>>>>>>>>814>D-18GE.

I've said it million times, but my D-18 is muddy and muffled--way too bassy--unless I have Ernie Ball AB strings on it. I imagine the addy top needs more time to break in, and there are times when I can't imagine a more beautiful sounding guitar, but overall this D-18 (which isn't a dud; it's just temperamental) does not overpower any of my guitars.

And I never found my old D-28 or D-35 very loud either.

Note: I do love them all.
This is quite interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the perceived loudness of a Martin because of the increased low end. Either way, I can't complain with the projection of my 717 at all based on the fact that I could hear myself among 13 or so violinists at a recent recital.

I've been playing my 517 a lot this week, and I can honestly say that it sounds ace in the fingerstyle department. Definitely decided not to sell it and just stick with my GPs for now. There is a reason I've never held onto a Martin very long, and I'm trying to just remember that and stay satisfied for once in my life.
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion