The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

My mute during breaks when not using the app is turning the power off! Haha
Old 08-04-2022, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
My mute during breaks when not using the app is turning the power off! Haha
Turning the power off the 30m? That's wild. I mute the Main during breaks and haven't had that experience yet.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I thought he was meaning a mute button on the back of the unit itself (not the app). It would be a nice feature--as you have to go into the menu to mute.
This. It would be nice to have a hard-mute.

BTW, the other nite I streamed some music into a spare port and muted THAT while folks were playing, then unmuted during setups. Worked fine.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:37 AM

Does anyone know the purpose of the "Main" channel slider anyway? You have a master volume on the opening screen. None seems to know the answer to this question.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:34 AM

The main volume level and the master mixer volume level may seem redundant, but I think it’s useful to have both. Think of it as if you had a mixer separate from your powered speakers. The main volume level is the one on the powered speaker. The mixer master volume is the one on the mixer.

You can really bring the volume down for softer venues with either control, but if you’re pushing the volume, it is nice to not have to be able to bring up the speaker volume instead of pegging the mixer master volume.

Also, the speaker volumes can be ganged together on two 30Ms from the app, which lets you control the overall volume of a two 30M setup with one control. With the 50M and the digital connection, the mixer masters are also linked.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The main volume level and the master mixer volume level may seem redundant, but I think it’s useful to have both. Think of it as if you had a mixer separate from your powered speakers. The main volume level is the one on the powered speaker. The mixer master volume is the one on the mixer.
Crystal-clear explanation, thanks. I away from home and don't have the system in front of me, and this makes perfect sense.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:

You can really bring the volume down for softer venues with either control, but if you’re pushing the volume, (a) it is nice to not have to be able to bring up the speaker volume instead of pegging the mixer master volume.

(b) Also, the speaker volumes can be ganged together on two 30Ms from the app, which lets you control the overall volume of a two 30M setup with one control. With the 50M and the digital connection, the mixer masters are also linked.
(a) So you mean it saves you from going all the way out to the first screen on the mixer app?

(b) So if you aren't using more than one 30M or outputting to anything other than your main unit, there's no reason to use that "main" slider...correct?
Old 08-05-2022, 10:46 AM

I like to set the master volume on the mixer at around 0db and then set the overall level for the room on the speaker control. That is the same way I would do it if the mixer and the speaker were separate units.

I don’t mind going under 0db on the mixer control, but I would rather not go over.

One way you could look at it would be the following:

Set your mixer volume to 0db, and the speaker volume to the loudest you plan on being at that venue during that gig.

Then, go below that for the quieter, less crowded part of the night with the mixer master volume control.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I like to set the master volume on the mixer at around 0db and then set the overall level for the room on the speaker control. That is the same way I would do it if the mixer and the speaker were separate units.

I don’t mind going under 0db on the mixer control, but I would rather not go over.

One way you could look at it would be the following:

Set your mixer volume to 0db, and the speaker volume to the loudest you plan on being at that venue during that gig.

Then, go below that for the quieter, less crowded part of the night with the mixer master volume control.
So you set the volume on the mixers opening page at zero and set the volume with the volume knob on the sub itself or are you using the “Main” slider in the app? Isn’t the “Main” slider the same as the speaker volume on the sub?
Old 08-05-2022, 05:20 PM

Stupid question but I have a duo gig coming up. Will be able to plug in 2 guitars, 2 mics and one channel for my drum pedal? The last channels are split into R & L so I’m not sure how that works. Also the last channel is for Bluetooth.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:52 AM

Default Evolve 30M post-live use update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Stupid question but I have a duo gig coming up. Will be able to plug in 2 guitars, 2 mics and one channel for my drum pedal? The last channels are split into R & L so I’m not sure how that works. Also the last channel is for Bluetooth.

Channels 5&6 can be run in mono just fine. This works for either one, or two channels that share EQ, effects, and aux send settings.

A bigger problem is that 5&6 don’t have as powerful preamps as channels 1-4, and thus you may not have enough gain to plug a guitar or mic in directly. It will work fine with a modeler pedal, preamp, or amp line out though.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:50 AM

Default Evolve 30M post-live use update

Quote:

What kind of drum pedal are you talking about? A passive stomp box, or a drum machine like a Beat Buddy? A passive stompbox will need a lot of gain, and maybe to use the hi-Z input on channel 4. An electronic drum machine would work fine in input 5, 6, or 5&6.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Channels 5&6 can be run in mono just fine. This works for either one, or two channels that share EQ, effects, and aux send settings.

A bigger problem is that 5&6 don’t have as powerful preamps as channels 1-4, and thus you may not have enough gain to plug a guitar or mic in directly. It will work fine with a modeler pedal, preamp, or amp line out though.
You mean because 1-4 have mic/line option? But wouldn’t channel 1 set to line have the same preamp power as 5,6?
Old 08-06-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
What kind of drum pedal are you talking about? A passive stomp box, or a drum machine like a Beat Buddy? A passive stompbox will need a lot of gain, and maybe to use the hi-Z input on channel 4. An electronic drum machine would work fine in input 5, 6, or 5&6.
Yes it’s a Beat Buddy.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yes it’s a Beat Buddy.

You should be fine then. Mics and guitars in 1-4, and the Beat Buddy into 5.

If either of the guitars has a passive pickup (no battery), plug it into the hi-Z input on channel 4. Otherwise it doesn’t matter. It should work great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification