The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-07-2021, 08:54 AM

For a little over a decade I wireless while informally jamming and -- this is not orthodox -- while recording.* I self-engineer and produce, so I need to walk around, readjust mics, demo parts, hand out lead sheets, change recording settings, often with a guitar around my neck and that would mean tripping over my own cord or being just a foot short of the distance needed.

I largely stopped that in the late '1Os.

My experience before then was no dropouts, no issues with sound quality I could determine. More expensive than a cable was the only drawback. I used an early lower-end Shure unit and then the Audio Techinca one that was one of the first "bugs" that required no belt-pack.

However the wireless spectrum seems to be much more crowded nowadays, so dropouts are now a risk, and I encountered them too many times. I have the Line6 G10s, and no channel would work worth beans in my studio space even a yard or two from the base unit. I killed off a wifi 2.4 GHz access point in the room and got it to work mostly, but not mostly enough to use it when recording.

So now I tangle myself up in my patch cord and need to unplug and take the guitar on and off more. I should probably try one of the 5.8GHz cheapies, but I try to avoid Amazon and haven't had the opportunity to do so.

*Since this is the AGF I should say that this was something I did largely with electric guitar/bass, not with acoustic. It's rarer for me to play acoustic in a band setting, and when recording I'm pretty stationary with the bulkier acoustic guitars and stay put.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I was skeptical. I figured I would just use wireless at home when practicing and use reliable cords when rehearsing with my band or when we finally gig (post COVID).

Just to experiment I bought a cheap $50 wireless from Amazon.

It was *AMAZING* !!!! no latency, incredible sound quality, no issues and the battery lasts HOURS longer than advertised. And (most importantly) totally reliable. I use this at rehearsals now too.

This cheap experiment made me a wireless convert.

I tried to upgrade via Amazon but both units I bought were really junk, so its totally hit-or-miss.

I then got the higher quality wireless unit that is paired from Line6 for my Line6 amp and I am even more impressed.
What was the unit you got from Amazon that worked so well?

Your post made me think of this thread. If you have not read it, it might be worthwhile,

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=607422

I put some posts in it (starting with post #37) that might tell you how my thinking is.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like “cautious converts”, which is how I describe myself. Best system for me so far is the NuX B5RC. Simple fobs, easy charging, and synch & channel all automatic. Only problem is a RFI hum with my Matrix-equipped Breedlove. I have a Line 6 G10 which works fine, but has a very obtrusive, non-folding FOB which gets in the way and bent once when I sat on the couch.

As for tone degradation, honestly I cant tell. Several wireless units have “cord simulators”, so theres that. Even for different length cords.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-07-2021, 12:54 PM

I have always been wireless. I have never plugged in an acoustic. That’s what they make mics for. Retrains the natural acoustic sound of the guitar better.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I have always been wireless. I have never plugged in an acoustic. That’s what they make mics for. Retrains the natural acoustic sound of the guitar better.
Is your mic wired?

Headworn microphones and instrument-mounted microphones with transmitters might be counted as "wireless" but also qualify as microphones?

I suspect you misunderstand the appeal of going wireless. Wireless communication with any amplifier you may need to reach the audience (or recording device) allows the performer to move around the venue. If you are "tied" to a microphone (for voice or instrument), you do not have that freedom.

The appeal of using a good microphone with its fidelity and the ability to move closer or further away is balanced by the convenience of moving around and not dealing with cords. It is a trade-off.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:33 PM

I have definitely tried, but ultimately, it never works out well. Now I should say that I have never tried any of the more high end options with belt clips etc, but I don't think I would ever go that route. My experience is with the simple transmitter/receiver systems.

What I have ultimately found is that 90% of them add hiss. This could be from the wireless systems being active and driving the signal more, creating hiss. The system itself could be quiet but it still bothers me. I also found that a lot add in some fake high end sheen that really bugs me.

The best I have tried and I still use it with my mandolin is the Line 6 G10. No noise at all, no dropouts and the feel/tone is just like a cable. I absolutely love this system.

I tried the Xvive U2 (two in fact) and they were garbage. Noisy and dropouts. Wouldn't ever recommend or rely on them and their customer service is unreal bad.

The Sennheiser XSW-D was far too expensive for what it is. The tone was fine but again, it added hiss. I just couldn't justify the price I paid and what I got in return.

I currently have the W5 system, which is just a generic system sold by a number of different manufacturers (Carvin being one of the more popular ones). No dropouts but again, noisy. I also don't love the tone with my electric guitar.

I am pretty content with my acoustic and octave mandolin being plugged in and my mandolin being wireless.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:15 PM

I use a Line 6 G30 wireless and love it. Previous comments regarding battery door and belt clip are true, but I knew this going in. To sidestep those issues, I purchased a Levy's strap pouch and just put the transmitter in the pouch. No battery door or belt clip issues for me. I've used it for the past three years every week (one practice and two services on Sunday) with no issues whatsoever.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
What was the unit you got from Amazon that worked so well?...
the LEKATO 5.8 Ghz Wireless Guitar System works flawlessly

I tried "upgrading" to Getaria Wireless Guitar System Double Track Stereo Wireless and it was mono (not stereo) and junk

I tried "upgrading" to Donner Wireless and it was junk

'our bass player, on my recommendation, bought the Lekato system and loves his as well

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 AM

I got my Xvive U2 too. Very convenient but not reliable as cable. It's good enough for playing at home, mess around with preamp / pedal / amp / interface and casual gig.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-10-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Found this video review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2183MfZWgQ

I have a small Mus Lady that works fine. I bought the XVive and could not get it to work at home. After seeing this vid I realize it was within 2 feet of my internet router and that was probably causing it to cut out. It was awful. I think I threw it out.

I am interested in a more robust system. Maybe the Boss.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:50 AM

If you do go wireless in public performance, practice making a quick and professional-looking switch back to cable in front of an audience, just in case the wireless system gives trouble.

I gave my Brother a wireless device for his guitar. Works great at home. In playing with his band at Church, it was unreliable. He never did figure out why.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
If you do go wireless in public performance, practice making a quick and professional-looking switch back to cable in front of an audience, just in case the wireless system gives trouble.

I gave my Brother a wireless device for his guitar. Works great at home. In playing with his band at Church, it was unreliable. He never did figure out why.
A lot of it has to do with routers being near by. These cheaper wireless systems are fine for home but you would be surprised at the signals interrupting the transmission in a church, bar etc.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I bought a cheap $40 Getaria wireless 2.4ghz and used it for a 3 hour gig and it worked great. I was very pleasantly surprised. If I played more gigs perhaps I’d upgrade but it works fine for me.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
A lot of it has to do with routers being near by. These cheaper wireless systems are fine for home but you would be surprised at the signals interrupting the transmission in a church, bar etc.
The thing is my cheap MusLady ($30) works at home and in half a dozen bars I've been in. Never an issue. The fancy XVive ($180) wouldn't work at home. Never took it out the door.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisciandro View Post
I use Line6 Realy G30 and G10, and also BOSS Boss WL-20, at home AND at live gigs. I never had a problem.
Just keep in mind that most of the wireless systems don't get along with LR Baggs preamp; you need an adapter to avoid hums and noises
I haven't heard this before? Anyone else getting noise/hums from using wireless with a Baggs preamp? And exactly what "adapter" would fix that?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification