The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Cant wait to hear!!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 03-24-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Cant wait to hear!!
Dustin, just played the guitar and it is incredible for being brand new! I can't wait to share more soon!

The amazing thing is Karan packed the guitar and shipped it out Wednesday my time. Guitar arrived at my doorstep on Friday 2pm! From India to D.C. in 2 days! I've waited longer to have a guitar shipped to me domestically!

The hard part was to wait for 24 hours to bust open into the box! I only made it 20 hours!

Here is my son Asher giving the Bigfoot Mod D a fine inspection. He seems to like it so I think I'll keep it! a better review will come soon, but I can't stop playing this guitar! It is really such a beautiful deep tone with tons of sustain and overtones. It is a harmonic monster! I am extremely impressed and can't wait to share more soon!

Asher helping me tune:

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-24-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Eric.... Are you coming to Artisan this year?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Nice Eric! I look forward to hearing you play it. The DC area jam is now a must do!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Awesome! Very happy for you Eric. Congratulations to you, Karan and the guitar! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it. What a stunner!

Current:
Matsuda M1 Cutaway, Braz/Ital (2009)

Previous:
Collings 0002H, IR/Sit (2012)
Collings 0002EC, IR/Ger (2000)
Taylor 324ce L10, Koa/Koa (2005)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats Eric.... Are you coming to Artisan this year?
I was thinking about it. It's about 2.5 hours from me so not too far! Depends how the baby progresses, but it could be real fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Nice Eric! I look forward to hearing you play it. The DC area jam is now a must do!
Thanks John! This guitar is pretty amazing. I'm excited for you to play it to hear your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRundall View Post
Awesome! Very happy for you Eric. Congratulations to you, Karan and the guitar! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it. What a stunner!
Nick, I'm having a lot of fun playing it. My wife continues to say how its the prettiest top she's seen on my guitars

I've played the guitar for a few hours already and it continues to amaze me for such a young guitar. There is tremendous bass, great overtones, and is a harmonic monster. I'll post a review hopefully sooner than later, but of course I don't want to get carried away by the honeymoon period. Lets just say that I am very Very impressed at what Karan is doing! I also hear that his queue continues to grow. Time to get on his list (or at least reach out to him)!

Just for fun, a few pictures next to my Kostals

Beside Kostal Mod-D

Beside the Kostal OM

Bigfoot Sighting at 11 o'clock!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I saw these videos of Karan's work on facebook. He credits Ted Astrand and Stephen Strahm for the help with his finish. Looks amazing! It looks even better in person

Last edited by ericcsong; 09-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I posted my initial review of the Bigfoot in the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=544122

I've been swamped with work (clergy during Easter season) and also wanted to wait a few weeks for the honeymoon to dwindle down a bit.

Guitar is simply lovely and more details are coming very soon

Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Here is a video done at the Kostal Fun Factory with Bigfoot Guitars. This is a great video with two of my favorite builders. I'm honored to have guitars built by both of them!

If you only have time to watch a little bit of this video, check out 11:24 mark.

Copied and pasted from my NGD thread:

Wow, after playing this guitar, I am thoroughly impressed with Bigfoot Guitars. Karan Singh is building an absolutely fantastic guitar! I didn't want to write anything about it in detail in the first week or so because I didn't want to be caught up by the honeymoon phase of a new commissioned build. After the happiness has settled a bit, I wanted to share my review.

As mentioned before, Karan spent 4 weeks at Jason Kostal's shop learning about Kostal's philosophies and building style. Besides discussing the ins and outs of voicing a guitar, he also learned about how to build more efficiently and productively. The end result was a guitar that came at a VERY reasonable build time and also a guitar that shines for fingerstyle.

PART ONE:

Sound/ Tone
Upon first strum, the guitar immediately felt intimate. The more I would play, the more familiar the guitar felt. The guitar only being two days old when I received it already felt open, warm, and deep. It had a little bit of that Somogyi bass that I love so much. As I played it for two more weeks, the guitar has already opened up even more so. It is lively and expressive and has a wonderful dynamic range. It also is a harmonic monster! I am impressed at how much projection the Bigfoot has. I had a friend come over who has a very impressive collection and he was very impressed by the guitar. He preferred it over a $15k+ African Blackwood Handmade I had in the room and also mentioned how it reminded him of my Kostal. Some people have asked me how it compares to Jason's guitars, but I'll save that for another post Tone-wise, the Bigfoot surely delivers!

Playability/Action/Feel
The Bigfoot plays effortlessly up and down the neck. I remember during the build process asking Karan about his neck. That lead to an awkward conversation. When we refocused on the neck (of the guitar), he describes it as not too thick and not too thin. Its a size c shape which reminds me a lot of my Ryan neck. Is very comfortable to hold and play (for hours!).

Design/Size/Shape
I'm surprised how light this guitar feels for one built with double sides. The size of Karan's Modified Dread (15 1/6 lower bout) is about the size of my Kostal OM (which is a little larger than your typical Martin OM; 15.56” to 15”). I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but here are the dimensions again:

Length - 19 3/8"
Upper bout - 11 1/16"
Waist - 10"
Lower bout - 15 1/16"
Depth at heel - 3.75"
Depth at tail - 4.25"
Scale - 25"
12th fret body join,
18 frets total
1 3/4" bone nut width
2 1/4" string spacing at bone saddle

The guitar side by side with my Kostal Mod D looks like a smaller cousin. I do have a Kostal MDW coming this year so it will be interesting to see how they are related size wise. The Bigfoot's cutaway is a little sharper but all the lines feel very familiar. Karan has a french curve up top and all the appointments are very organic and work so well together. I love how the end graft matches the rosette and how the sharp lines of the rosewood remind me of some old growth Brazilian

This review is getting long and I feel like I'm not even half way through! You can follow more on this guitar in the Custom Shop section. I'll share about how it compares to other handbuilt guitars, thoughts on buying from a different country, and more!

Details coming soon…..

Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I love that circle of guitars you posted. Congrats on the new addition. It has some good company there with Sobell, Wingert, Kostal, etc.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 AM

Lovely!
I'm glad you finally got it, and that you love it!

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 05-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I love that circle of guitars you posted. Congrats on the new addition. It has some good company there with Sobell, Wingert, Kostal, etc.
Thanks Jayne! The Bigfoot really holds its own against the other world class guitars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
Lovely!
I'm glad you finally got it, and that you love it!
Thanks Mike! This guitar is really something!

I wanted to share this quick video I took on the second day I had the guitar. Keep in mind in the recording, the guitar was literally 2 days old! Well, 2 days in my posession of a brand new guitar . I wanted to share this to show how open it sounds from the beginning. I go to a friends next week to record it again and hope to hear a good difference behind some good mics! This recording was with a Zoom Q2n recorder. Just straight into the Zoom with no effects:

Old 08-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a bit. We've been having some sleep regression problems with the baby. For the last 6-8 weeks she's been waking up every 45-55 min at night. That translates to little sleep for the parents!

Guitar is still amazing and I absolutely love it. Will try to get more recordings of it sooner than later. Here is a recent article I read and it's great to see Karan getting more recognition!

http://theindianmusicdiaries.com/10-...ld-know-about/

Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a bit. We've been having some sleep regression problems with the baby. For the last 6-8 weeks she's been waking up every 45-55 min at night. That translates to little sleep for the parents!

Guitar is still amazing and I absolutely love it. Will try to get more recordings of it sooner than later. Here is a recent article I read and it's great to see Karan getting more recognition!

http://theindianmusicdiaries.com/10-...ld-know-about/

Old 09-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Karan has some really beautiful exotic wood that he is about to build with. Getting ready for the Holy Grail guitar show 2020 in Berlin already! He's only going to bring two guitars. Which woods would you like to see in Berlin ?

European Maple:
FB_IMG_1568252117718.jpg
Indian Redwood:
FB_IMG_1568252120310.jpg
Curly Gmelina:
FB_IMG_1568252122923.jpg
Spalted Tamarind:
FB_IMG_1568252125767.jpg
Flamed Ebony:
FB_IMG_1568252128525.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop