The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-24-2022, 01:52 PM

Default Saw Toby Walker Last Night

Got a chance to see him in a little cafe in Old Lyme Connecticut called Nightingale’s Acoustic Cafe. He started at seven and did two sets ending at nine thirty. It was a tiny space and I was in the second row. Toby did a great show. His playing was of course phenomenal and his stories of seeking out some of the undiscovered blues players in the south were really great to listen to. I had a nice chance to thank him for the great instructional videos he puts out. If you get a chance I highly recommend going to see him play.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-24-2022, 06:31 PM

Good to hear! I hadn't noticed him on the forum here in a while and was wondering how he's doing.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:22 AM

I've learnt a hell of a lot from Toby's video's. Glad to hear he's back out on the road!
I doubt he'll be in England anytime soon but if he is I'm going.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:44 AM

I'm glad you got to see him Dave. He's a great teacher, performer and person. I know that the last couple of years have been pretty tough for him and he was looking forward to getting on the road.

It looks like "the Nightingale" is also doing open mics and workshops now. I haven't timed the commute to Old Lyme from Hartford, but probably an hour and a quarter... Hartford is a desert when it comes to guitar music, music stores and get togethers. I've never figured that out.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I'm glad you got to see him Dave. He's a great teacher, performer and person. I know that the last couple of years have been pretty tough for him and he was looking forward to getting on the road.

It looks like "the Nightingale" is also doing open mics and workshops now. I haven't timed the commute to Old Lyme from Hartford, but probably an hour and a quarter... Hartford is a desert when it comes to guitar music, music stores and get togethers. I've never figured that out.
Let me know if you head down for a Tuesday picking party. I’ll do my best to make it too.

ETA: it’s about 45 minutes depending on traffic. You basically just come straight down 9 and cross the Connecticut river on the Baldwin and you’re there.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 07-13-2022, 08:35 PM

One of my favorite Toby Walker videos:

His version of the classic Guy Van Duser arrangement of Stars and Stripes Forever:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN