The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I have both the Beaudens and the newer GrantMaya 300 watts. GrantMaya powers my EV30 for many hours. $180 best deal on the web. Pure Sine Wave. Should easily run your Yamaha top and a mixer.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...V9CZS39O&psc=1 Running the iP300 and a sub, I would spend more for the 600 watt Ecoflow Pro. Bluetooth Control and charges from 0-80% in one hour. No other power supply on the market does that! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...987TZWZR&psc=1 My Bose Sub1 similar to your 12"sub, pulls 195watts max at full volume. I also have a 400 watt unit and it shut down twice at high volume running the Sub1. I wouldn't try to save $$$ if you are trying to run all that gear on one power source.
I think we should preface these posts with a quality disclaimer. Sure those Chinese units may be stupid cheap but if you sit down and take the time to honestly go through all the reviews you will see many many many upset purchasers that got DOA units, defective units that don’t output the power they should be, and a bunch of “worked great at first but then stopped holding a charge”.

Buyer beware, YMMV. Personally I would spend the extra money on a Jackery (they are also rated for cold and warm weather unlike a lot of those above units that crap out with any type of higher/lower temps).

I too want to have more options then what is available for built in battery powered speakers/PA’s - however there is something to be said about the reliability of those batteries from major live sound manufacturers that have field tested them before releasing vs. using sketchy power banks.

If I did go the power bank route I’d want a single Turbosound Ip300 on a small stand and a Jackery unit. I’m sure that would cover most my busking & gigging needs these days. For anything larger without provided sound I could use the ip300 behind me and add a couple QSC CP12’s out front

Last edited by jpino; 08-21-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I am just beginning to research products like this, mainly for home power backup, light camping and the very occasional remote PA support. One thing to be aware of is that the lithium ion batteries in established products like Jackery's are beginning to be replaced, or at least competed with, by lithium iron phosphate, aka LiFePO4 and LFP and Lord knows what else.

Their advantage is massively more recharge cycles. For roughly comparable Jackery and Bluetti products, I'm seeing 500 versus a claimed 2,500 recharge cycles before before hitting a "full" recharge state of 80%--that is, the max-recharge restored after going through that many cycles. Apparently this is an industry standard metric. LFPs are also said to have much lower hazard of setting themslves on fire due to overheating, though I've never seen a report of that here.

LFPs are more dense and heavy per power output.

The difference in performance is due to battery chemistry, not wildly competing company claims. If you go down some of the rabbit holes I have, you'll see Jackery fans (for example) saying when the heck are you guys getting on board with LFP.

Yep, you can buy LFP batteries and it probably doesn't require an engineering degree to assemble something at far less cost to power a PA, though if part of your goal is powering multiple types of devices with different power ports, well that's a bigger time and skill investment than I'm willing to pay at the moment.
Old 08-21-2022, 02:40 PM

My Beaudens uses lithium iron phosphate batteries too.

If you're curious, you lose about half a volt out of roughly 4 volts per cell with LFP, which makes it heavier and larger for the same capacity. Entry level Teslas assembled in China are LFP these days.

The big plus to LFP (iron phosphate) over the various cobalt/nickel/manganese/aluminum plus lithium chemistries, besides lower cost, is a more robust cathode and roughly 3x more charge/discharge cycles.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-21-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
My Beaudens uses lithium iron phosphate batteries too.

If you're curious, you lose about half a volt out of roughly 4 volts per cell with LFP, which makes it heavier and larger for the same capacity. Entry level Teslas assembled in China are LFP these days.

The big plus to LFP (iron phosphate) over the various cobalt/nickel/manganese/aluminum plus lithium chemistries, besides lower cost, is a more robust cathode and roughly 3x more charge/discharge cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I am just beginning to research products like this, mainly for home power backup, light camping and the very occasional remote PA support. One thing to be aware of is that the lithium ion batteries in established products like Jackery's are beginning to be replaced, or at least competed with, by lithium iron phosphate, aka LiFePO4 and LFP and Lord knows what else.

Their advantage is massively more recharge cycles. For roughly comparable Jackery and Bluetti products, I'm seeing 500 versus a claimed 2,500 recharge cycles before before hitting a "full" recharge state of 80%--that is, the max-recharge restored after going through that many cycles. Apparently this is an industry standard metric. LFPs are also said to have much lower hazard of setting themslves on fire due to overheating, though I've never seen a report of that here.

LFPs are more dense and heavy per power output.

The difference in performance is due to battery chemistry, not wildly competing company claims. If you go down some of the rabbit holes I have, you'll see Jackery fans (for example) saying when the heck are you guys getting on board with LFP.

Yep, you can buy LFP batteries and it probably doesn't require an engineering degree to assemble something at far less cost to power a PA, though if part of your goal is powering multiple types of devices with different power ports, well that's a bigger time and skill investment than I'm willing to pay at the moment.
I did not know that, thanks guys. Ala Elite Acoustics amp’s batteries. Hah I did just see on Instagram someone post on Jackery’s newest product release that same comment. Regardless of which battery technology is used I still stand by purchasing at least a good brand with a good warranty/customer service located in the USA vs taking a risk on an overseas amazon purchase with no customer support/warranty.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:02 PM

Outlets: fwiw, I plugged a multi outlet power strip into my Jackery to have enough outlets. When powering up, I was sure to have each component that switches off turned off prior to turning on the power strip. My pedalboard with its Onespot had no on/off switch. Neither did the GLXD receiver.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:11 PM

I have a Jackery Explorer 240 that I use for camping.
Does anyone know if it would power up a small PA system?

It is rated at 240 watts.
here are the specs.
https://www.jackery.com/products/exp...-power-station
Old 08-22-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post

here are the specs.
I bet it will. Startup is the biggest question. That's when there is the biggest power draw.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post

here are the specs.
I emailed Jackery about plugging in a Turbosound Ip300, here is their response:
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for choosing Jackery.

We can see the power consumption of this guitar amplifier is 80Watt.

Jackery E240 can run it for about 2.5 hours

Jackery E500 can run it for about 5 hours

You can choose the one which can meet your needs.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Some interesting products here - but in the 4 digit price range:

https://us.ecoflow.com/?source=share...cid=91k6_10nc1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification