The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default What next?

I posted this in the middle of another thread, where it might have got lost - so I thought I'd start a new one on the same subject. Because I just crave attention

I'm besotted with my X20. I don't think I've ever owned another guitar which has been quite so inspirational (and that includes the 55-year old Martin that has been in my custody for 35 years of its life). The X20 lives in open D, which is where I spend most of my playing time these days.

I'm compelled to add another one to the collection. X20 Baritone? X20 7-string? After wandering down that path for a while - because I love the low-end register of these guitars - all of a sudden, now I'm thinking X7. It could sit in standard tuning for ever more, and just be that grab'n'go guitar.

Decisions, decisions. These weekly videos are... tantalizing
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM

There is an Amber Baritone on Reverb.

I'm out of "guitar money" or I'd have already snagged it.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Guest 928

Oh No! Eatswodo is lost. Obviously the X20 is a gateway addiction. Now, a baritone and then the deadly X7. Alas!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

I completely understand how you feel. All I have been doing for the last few months is working on this book about Emerald. I’m submerged in Chimaeras, X30s, Amicus, etc. I keep having to tell myself that there’s no way I can buy a Synergy, I can’t play harp guitar, but I want to get one so bad. It is an addiction. I’m already plotting what to order next. As for you, I am a big fan of the X7. Get one you won’t regret it.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 PM

All this Emerald talk...almost makes me want one
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
All this Emerald talk...almost makes me want one
I've heard they're something special!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

The X7 is the perfect companion guitar to the X20. It gives you that 'small, grab and go anywhere' size but with a much bigger tone. With some EQ and notching it can also fill in as a backup/alternate gigging guitar. I love both of mine so much that my 'lifetime Martin' is being sold. Oh, and I'm considering another X10 custom build.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I love both of mine so much that my 'lifetime Martin' is being sold. Oh, and I'm considering another X10 custom build.
Wow...letting the Martin go ! That's a pretty big step. Congrats on all your great custom builds. I just got my X7, it is a lot more than I expected, a perfect upgrade to the last version of the X7. I haven't plugged it in yet though.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm really thinking that it will be an X7. Need to get tax season out of the way first, and then I can start plotting.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-18-2019, 12:56 PM

My X30 has become just "The Guitar," with all the joys and none of the snags of my Martin or other wood guitars. I am vaguely aware that it looks like an alien instrument to most, guitar-shaped but CLEARLY not a proper guitar. I'm vaguely aware that people probably think it's a gimmick, a toy, some cheap johnny-come-lately fad, the bauble of a bored middle aged guy to tinker with until the time comes to grow up and play a Real Guitar.

But to me, it's just The Guitar. It does a LOT of work as The Guitar. All without a grumble as the humidity is ignored, the tuner and pick holder are tucked inside, the bridge pins don't bother my strumming palm, etc. I like living in a snippet of a sci-fi novel with this bold, smooth, beautiful X30.

Probably about time to finish waking up and go get my coffee, eh? Lol.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

And you forgot "it's pretty!"
Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Guest 928

How come it has to sleep on the couch?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Wow...letting the Martin go ! That's a pretty big step. Congrats on all your great custom builds. I just got my X7, it is a lot more than I expected, a perfect upgrade to the last version of the X7. I haven't plugged it in yet though.
It wasn't has hard as I thought it would be. I gave it several months and a whole bunch of A/B/C sessions with the X20 and X7. The Martin loses each and every time. I am looking forward to being all CF and not worrying about humidity (or just about anything else) is just awesome. I won't say I'll never own another wood guitar again but I'm currently Jonesing for nothing. Even the X10 build is only a distant possibility.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I completely understand, it took me years to get a nice 000-28 that I loved, but guess what was the first to go once the X20 showed up. Not even a close comparison.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 PM

.....getting rid of all your wood acoustics. That's just crazy talk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber