The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Emerald X-20

Hello,
Has anyone regretted purchasing an Emerald X-20? If so, why?
I'm wondering if I should even entertain buying a guitar that I've never played before.

Also, do you think it's a good singer/songwriter guitar, since I'll be singing with it?

Thanks!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

Last edited by highvibrational; 02-15-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:40 PM

The X20 was the best guitar purchase I ever made.
I may get another X20 for different tuning.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Guest 928

This forum hears from just about everyone who has, or had, an X20. I can think of only one owner who received a bad one, and that was made right by Emerald. There have been a few people who have not liked the tone or projection of the 20, but I suspect every guitar ever made had a few detractors.

You might want to indicate where you live and ask if anyone in the area would be willing to let you try their guitar. X20 owners seem to be all over the world and are generally quite willing to share.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I don't regret buying mine at all, but I may be selling it relatively soon after just buying it in September. I debated between getting an X20 and an X7 and finally decided on an X20 because it seemed like the flagship model and the most similar to guitars I'd had in the past. But then I ended up with an X7 also and like the X7 so much I don't find myself playing anything else. But if I'd just bought the X7 first, I might have wondered what I was missing and eventually bought an X20 to get to the same point.

But the X20 is a really fine guitar - just a matter of what you want. It's probably the most balanced all-rounder between the jumbo-like X30 and the parlor sized (but not sounding) X7 and the more specialized X10. The X20 is a great all-around acoustic guitar. Feels like an 000 but sounds like a dread, IMO. Really reminds me of an old Martin D28 I used to have, in terms of sound. Just turns out I've turned into more of a short scale player, which I had to learn the expensive way.

BTW, I'm just down the road in the Philly area (or will be again in Mid-March - I'm down south at the moment). But if you're not on a tight time frame, you'd be welcome to come check mine out if you can't find one closer to play.

-Ray
Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM

I may be just who you are looking for, sort of. I bought a X20 in emerald green and absolutely loved the sound of it. The body is very comfortable and the sound is great, as was fit and finish. “My” X20 is now Earl’s here on the forum. I can’t say I regretted buying it but I had an issue with the neck carve where after some time playing it I got pain in my fretting hand, which I don’t have on my Taylor’s, Rainsongs, or Blackbird, fwiw. I thought of getting a new one with a custom neck carve but that is really pricey for an instrument I use mainly for travel.
So, I am an Emerald fan in spite of not keeping mine, but I did notice that my thumb would occasionally catch the top edge of the fretboard when finger picking so if ordering another I would get just 20 frets. That said, kind of cool to do harmonics on the 24th fret.....
Even I say go for it, but if you are really worried buy a used one and you should be able to sell it for what you paid.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve owned three doubleneck 6/12 Chimaeras between 2012-17, the last one a coco topped woody veneer. I now own a plain X20 (black with vertical weave and crystal ice b&s) and quite like it. No regrets with Emerald guitars.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Love my X20 custom woody. If I could only have one, that would be the one. It just does everything very well.

That said, I will say that mine is a custom, built to my exact specs including a short scale, custom neck carve and preferred K&K pickup system. Oh, and a woody veneer but that is just cosmetics. I could live without that but I doubt I'd love the guitar as much with the stock scale and neck shape.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I may be just who you are looking for, sort of. I bought a X20 in emerald green and absolutely loved the sound of it. The body is very comfortable and the sound is great, as was fit and finish. “My” X20 is now Earl’s here on the forum. I can’t say I regretted buying it but I had an issue with the neck carve where after some time playing it I got pain in my fretting hand, which I don’t have on my Taylor’s, Rainsongs, or Blackbird, fwiw. I thought of getting a new one with a custom neck carve but that is really pricey for an instrument I use mainly for travel.
So, I am an Emerald fan in spite of not keeping mine, but I did notice that my thumb would occasionally catch the top edge of the fretboard when finger picking so if ordering another I would get just 20 frets. That said, kind of cool to do harmonics on the 24th fret.....
Even I say go for it, but if you are really worried buy a used one and you should be able to sell it for what you paid.
You shouldn't need a fret for the harmonic. [emoji1]
Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

No regrets here.....They have a return policy, but it will cost you return shipping. So there is some protection.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
All joking aside, I also play fingerstyle and see how the 24 frets could be an issue. Are you catching just the corner of fret 24 with your thumb or are you clearly 2 frets back when in playing position? Are the other fingers OK with 24 frets (I, M, A)?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM

I have Frettingflyer's stock green X20, and it is the first guitar that I reach for these days. For reference, I also have several other CF and wood guitars, including a Rainsong WS-1000, Blackbird Lucky 13, Emerald X30 and X7 Woody, a custom X20-12, plus several Taylor GA's and a koa GS. So the X20 is the top choice among an all-star roster. The others now serve as backups and are relegated to alternate tunings.

The X20 is a spoiler for other guitars. You quickly get used to the warm, full tone and the projection to the player from the offset sound hole. The ergonomics of the X20 (and Emeralds in general) are hard to beat, and I will never again buy another guitar without an arm bevel. The only thing that I could wish for is a 24.6" scale length and 20 frets to match the custom options from my X20-12 string. I am growing to like the comfort of shorter scale lengths these days, and I never play above the 20th fret anyway. The full 24-fret fret board does sometimes interfere with my strum stroke, because of the way the guitar sits and how my right arm interacts with the bevel. So it is possible that I may eventually order a custom X20 to perfectly match my custom X20-12. No hurry on that.

If you get one, the odds are very good that you will love it. And if not Emerald handles returns very graciously, in the unlikely event you want to send it back. It has to be in original condition and you will be on the hook for the shipping both ways. Buying used will definitely limit your potential costs / loss if you don't bond.

If all of my other guitars disappeared today, the only replacements would be an X20 and a matching X20-12. 'Nuff said.....
Old 02-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcopeland8900 View Post
All joking aside, I also play fingerstyle and see how the 24 frets could be an issue. Are you catching just the corner of fret 24 with your thumb or are you clearly 2 frets back when in playing position? Are the other fingers OK with 24 frets (I, M, A)?
It was strictly the thumb, and I would just sort of “feel” it as I went to pick the low E, no issue for I, M or A. I can’t recall exactly how far my thumb went, but I wouldn’t think past the 23rd at the furthest.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 AM

I love my plain ole black 20 that was handed to me by the maker himself. Had it set up by local great tech and it is a super and easy playing alround fine sounding guitar.... just mentionin’.

Might be nice to have a customed up woody some day when I can actually play guitar. I guess I can just give myself a few more lessons.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 02-14-2019 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Addage
Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Long time Carbon guitar player as far back as some 15 years ago when in my touring band I played a CA Bluegrass model. Since that time I've owned just about every maker out there. Bought almost all of them used and had a bunch of CA's Rainsongs and an early Blackbird Luck 13.

I just picked up a newer Lucky 13 which is a really fine guitar and I do own a Rainsong Parlor Nylon that I love to sit and noodle on.

As far as steel stings go once I bought my first Emerald I was hooked. They have just about everything going for them as far as sound, play-ability and ergonomics. If you don't like the futuristic look of the Emerald X body guitars then you really must look elsewhere, but if you want a great playing experience Emerald really has it figured out.

Right now I own 3 Emeralds. All of them are X20's. A Woody Cocobolo 6 string, a 12 String Woody with Flame maple and a Standard Black Baritone. These stopped me from wanting and looking at other carbons, they are that good.

All the other carbon guitars I've owned were fine guitars but I really feel the Emeralds are a step above.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 AM

I don't regret getting an X20, but there are custom changes that I might like better than the standard model which I have. Maybe change the scale or add glow-in-the-dark fret markers, but then again maybe not. If I lost this one I probably would get another (depending on how my current custom Emerald order turns out). The standard version of an X20 that I have is the closest thing I have found to a great all around guitar so far. I don't intend to sell it or stop playing it for a long long time.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber