The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Default 2019 the year of the slope shoulder dread?

Thinking about the pre-NAMM announcements, it looks like some of the biggest news coming from Martin, Taylor and Gibson is around slope shoulder dreadnoughts.

Taylor
Based on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine review we know that Taylor will be announcing a new style 17 "Pacific" body shape that will add a short scale, slope shoulder dreadnought option to their lineup.

C.F. Martin

Last week Martin put out a press release announcing new all solid slope shoulder dreadnought additions to the 15 and 17 series.

DSS-17M Black Smoke

Gibson

Gibson is targeting the high end of the value market with the new "Generations" G-45 models.

Of the there which are you most excited about and why?

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM

By far I’m most excited about trying the Gibson due to its straight bracing. While it’s probably the lesser guitar of the three, it’s the one I’m most looking forward to hearing.

Taylor and Gibson are my two favorite brands, but Taylor’s interpretation of a Gibson doesn’t really do much for me right now. That could change after playing one.

I do like the idea of the Martin slope on the 15 series.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 AM

The Martin looks good but maybe the Taylor will be the most interesting because of its technology.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM

The answer really would be "none, " since I don't like Dreadnoughts, sonically or from a physical standpoint.

But if I was, it would probably be the Taylor. Taylor has been doing some interesting takes on otherwise traditional guitars of late, after years of focusing mainly on their own designs. It would be interesting to see what they have come up with.

OMMV

TW
Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 AM

That’s what I was thinking. Pretty crazy.

I would imagine that the Gibsons will be the most popular in terms of number sold, simply given the price point and target market.

I expect the Taylor to be the most polarizing by far, as already evidenced with some early leaks.

I think the Martins are the most guitar for the money and may sway folks that would otherwise be looking at the J-15 and J-35.

I don’t think we know that that Taylor has a short scale length, do we? We do know the Martin doesn’t.

I’m most interested in the Taylor, if only because I think it’s going to represent the bigger change in offering from any of the three brands.

With the guitars I’ve already got, however, I don’t realistically see any of them showing up at my home anytime soon — I should start looking at smaller-body guitars...
Old 01-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post

I don’t think we know that that Taylor has a short scale length, do we? We do know the Martin doesn’t.
In general the 500 series is short scale. So if there is to be a 517, it would probably be short scale... Maybe the 717 will be long/normal scale.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Just picked up my first one!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM

I just played the J45 Studio and was blown away. Sitka/Walnut/Mahogany/scalloped X/short scale $1500 MAP. That’s a lot of guitar for the money. Looks great, plays great, sounds great. I really wanted to wait to see the Modern Deluxe first (yes, I know they aren’t slopes) but at half the price, this Gibby is hard to beat.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 PM

I am mostly a Martin-Gibson guy but The Taylor is the most interesting to me. I especially like that they are going short scale.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Guest 728

It all kind of smacks of market research guiding the design principles, but as design principles go, it's a good one. I'd still prefer a good J-35 over any of these, but it's cool to see Taylor entering the short-scale, slope-shoulder world, if only to confirm that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi. These are slop shoulder Dreadnoughts :

Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM

If the guitar that Andy is holding is what they are putting out, then it is a 14 fret not 12.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
If the guitar that Andy is holding is what they are putting out, then it is a 14 fret not 12.
Maybe I missed something but I didnt see where anyone said it was a 12 fretter.. (again I could just be totally dumb). I saw where someone said it was a short scale guitar but not where anything was mentioned about it being 12 fret join.

Honestly, I'm excited about the Gibson and Taylor about equally. Martin not so much. Nine if the 3 have much of a shot at coming into my home, but of the 3, I'd probably pick the Taylor as most likely.. I would love to see a 700 series or 800 series version.. or builders edition .

Cheers
SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 01-21-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Maybe I missed something but I didnt see where anyone said it was a 12 fretter.. (again I could just be totally dumb). I saw where someone said it was a short scale guitar but not where anything was mentioned about it being 12 fret join.

Honestly, I'm excited about the Gibson and Taylor about equally. Martin not so much. Nine if the 3 have much of a shot at coming into my home, but of the 3, I'd probably pick the Taylor as most likely.. I would love to see a 700 series or 800 series version.. or builders edition .

Cheers
SC
Honestly I don’t think any of these slopes will be anything close to to those two you already have. I’m sure that AJ already sounds amazing, but maybe in another 80 years it will sound just like that one you posted in the vintage thread yesterday. I might see if you want to sell it then, haha.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
It all kind of smacks of market research guiding the design principles, but as design principles go, it's a good one. I'd still prefer a good J-35 over any of these, but it's cool to see Taylor entering the short-scale, slope-shoulder world, if only to confirm that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
I don't agree with the notion of imitation being the highest form of flattery. Based on that idea, then anything built by anybody other than Gibson or Martin, no matter what the design, is only a copy.

Taylor will have many of their own elements in their guitar.

That old axiom my apply to Blueridge and others but not to this guitar. It won't be a Gibson or Martin clone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion