The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 PM

Default Tonedexter Tuner

I've been using the tuner on the TD for personal practice and after a bit of use, it is perfectly serviceable. It would be good to know if folk have been able to rely on it in a band situation. I'd love to free up space on the pedalboard for another pedal but I've relied on my Turbo Tuner for so long now, I'm worried about cutting the cord.

Can you reassure me (or not)?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:12 AM

I use mine when playing live solo and in a duo. When you are used to it you can tune quickly. It often shows a little movement but checking with another tuner or my ears tells me it is spot on (or as close as it needs to be)

Of course it is not subject to any other vibration interference.

IME it is more than competent as a tuner and I have no problem relying on it. Playing live I have tended to use a Boss tuner and used both for a while, but there really is no need!
Martin J40
Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 AM

My TD tuner worked fine initially, but I've been having trouble with it lately, with a guitar with much harmonic content. Perhaps the software update (which I did last night) will help, but I've been using a clip-on tuner at gigs.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 AM

It was vastly improved in a recent firmware. Make sure you are up to date!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
It was vastly improved in a recent firmware. Make sure you are up to date!
Good to know. I'll see if my updated TD can tune my "problem guitar" at tonight's gig.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 AM

I’ve been using my TD tuner for 6 months now and it seems to be quite accurate (and I am picky when it comes to intonation). One thing that has been bothersome is that while I’m using it as a mute switch, it seems to “hear” a B almost all the time, even when I am muting the strings with my hand. Possibly some sort of electrical issue with the pup, cord, or TD itself. In any case, as a tuner, it’s solid.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 AM

I use the TD tuner with no issues. The only issue I have with TD which never bothered me at first but is starting to annoy me more and more as each day passes by is not having a power button. I might wire my own power switch into it at some point.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post
I’ve been using my TD tuner for 6 months now and it seems to be quite accurate (and I am picky when it comes to intonation). One thing that has been bothersome is that while I’m using it as a mute switch, it seems to “hear” a B almost all the time, even when I am muting the strings with my hand. Possibly some sort of electrical issue with the pup, cord, or TD itself. In any case, as a tuner, it’s solid.
I had a similar experience with my Peterson Strobostomp, and I traced it back to a bad patch cable. Read a B, no matter what was going on. I guess it's something about the frequency of the hum you get from a bad cable. I'm sure someone more technically inclined can give an engineer's answer on that one.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!
60Hz power line hum is half way between an A# and B. ToneDexter displays a B with the circle running fast counter clockwise. If you are in Europe then I expect it to display G or Aflat.

Power line hum is undoubtedly what it is sensing. Typically you should only see that when your guitar cable is connected to TD but not to your guitar. Edit: It seems to be normal behavior that when there are no notes played, the tuner hones in on the background hum.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

Last edited by James May; 01-17-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
60Hz power line hum is half way between an A# and B. ToneDexter displays a B with the circle running fast counter clockwise. If you are in Europe then I expect it to display G or Aflat.

Power line hum is undoubtedly what it is sensing. Typically you should only see that when your guitar cable is connected to TD but not to your guitar. Edit: It seems to be normal behavior that when there are no notes played, the tuner hones in on the background hum.
I figured out just this morning that hum is the issue with my particular problem guitar. I have a pickup with compromised shielding and the very excessive bassiness of the "mixed and matched" preamp/pickup combo exaggerates 60Hz. Just as James describes, TD's tuner was often reading a 'b' instead of the string's pitch. On the plus side, TD does a great job of compensating for my rig's tonally imbalanced output signal.

I should mention that I tried TD's tuner with five different guitars this morning. I only had a problem with the rig with a hum and an overly bassy output signal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification