The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 03:47 PM

Probably the angle of the photo, but are the strings centered over the fret board? The veneer work detail is visible in this picture.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-31-2018, 04:01 PM

Yeah the string spacing is fine...at least, I didn't notice anything off-looking or feeling.

I discovered something else this morning. I decided to try playing with relief a little, since I have a few days with it and wanted to see how it would feel/sound with lower action. As it turns out, the truss rod nut is completely stripped out and is unusable. So, if I hadn't decided already that it must go back, I have now. Oh well.

A full image in a more homely posture (not a glamour shot), since folks were asking.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Guest 928

Billy two-hands slow trigger;

Bat Masterson had two hands and was remarkably slow with the trigger--but boy! He was accurate, one shot generally told the whole story. Just a bit of my old west cowboy heritage. And a bit of horsing around.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Yeah the string spacing is fine...at least, I didn't notice anything off-looking or feeling.

I discovered something else this morning. I decided to try playing with relief a little, since I have a few days with it and wanted to see how it would feel/sound with lower action. As it turns out, the truss rod nut is completely stripped out and is unusable. So, if I hadn't decided already that it must go back, I have now. Oh well.

A full image in a more homely posture (not a glamour shot), since folks were asking.

EXCELLENT DECISION! I'll bet you're feeling kind of relieved now?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post

Wow! I'm a big fan of my own Emerald... and all I can say is that something must have went terribly, terribly wrong here.

It's really so bizarre.

Hopefully Emerald makes this right for you.

Holiday cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 12-31-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Wow...obviously not the norm, makes one wonder what the heck went wrong here. The veneer sure is nice though. (Just looking for a positive)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

Spruce;

Another pun from you and I'm going to call a Monitor.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Spruce;

Indeed that was bad. I trusst you will follow through if these puns continue. Maybe he's just trying to loosen the thread up a little?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 PM

As someone who has been considering a similar Emerald, I appreciate the OP putting this out there. Quite fortunate that you discovered the issue w/ truss rod early on as well. I would expect Emerald to make this right, but unsettling all around for sure. Hopefully this incident will cause some pause and further QA checks along the line before shipping. Thanks again for posting.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Check out this new thread from J.R. Rogers, owner of this forum, on the new X20 Custom Royal Ebony he's just received:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=533176

I did a ton of research before I bought my X20, and found absolutely nothing to dissuade me - and it was story after story like this from delighted customers that helped.

This makes your experience ever more anomalous, Melt. The stripped truss rod nut makes it even more so. Yours should never have left the factory.

I expect that it will be resolved satisfactorily, based on my experience with Emerald. We shall see!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-31-2018, 06:53 PM

The truss rod of the X20 that I purchased 15 years ago for my son was also stripped out and unasable
. Luckily the neck relief was ok (although a bit too much for my taste) so I didn't complain too much. However, a stripped out truss rod in addition to flat tops on frets, misplaced dots, roughly cut veneer, dent on the fretboard...I mean, the OP's guitar really should have NEVER been shipped to the buyer. We are talking about a 3k guitar! And we still have forum members criticizing the buyer for looking at this guitar "through an electron microscope" ? Are they kidding?
Old 12-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Spruce;

I don't understand what you're getting at? My comment was meant in the sense of the OP being relieved that he's made a decision to return the guitar and doesn't have to think about hemming and hawing about keeping it anymore. I kind of resent that you've singled me out as I've offered my experience with the anomalies I've found with some of the brands of guitars I've owned. My comment was addressed to the OP, and not you, and you took it the wrong way. Please call the Monitor so we can resolve this misunderstanding. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-31-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Indeed that was bad. I trusst you will follow through if these puns continue. Maybe he's just trying to loosen the thread up a little?
What did I do wrong? Please explain? See my above comment. Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-31-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
The truss rod of the X20 that I purchased 15 years ago for my son was also stripped out and unasable
. Luckily the neck relief was ok (although a bit too much for my taste) so I didn't complain too much. However, a stripped out truss rod in addition to flat tops on frets, misplaced dots, roughly cut veneer, dent on the fretboard...I mean, the OP's guitar really should have NEVER been shipped to the buyer. We are talking about a 3k guitar! And we still have forum members criticizing the buyer for looking at this guitar "through an electron microscope" ? Are they kidding?
I have to agree with you, the guitar should not have been shipped. The bottom line is this. No one has cancer here. Alistair will make this right. I suspect he will even get on here and post. I know someone else who had a problem with an Emerald as the electronics were rattling and loose, and it was promptly taken care of.

I always see problems as a way to shine and create beautiful solutions. Again, this is not just isolated to Emerald. Quality control issues happen with other guitar manufacturers. We have seen some gorgeous Emerald builds posted here.

It's almost 2019, let's go play our guitars and ring it in!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I don't understand what you're getting at? My comment was meant in the sense of the OP being relieved that he's made a decision to return the guitar and doesn't have to think about hemming and hawing about keeping it anymore. I kind of resent that you've singled me out as I've offered my experience with the anomalies I've found with some of the brands of guitars I've owned. My comment was addressed to the OP, and not you, and you took it the wrong way. Please call the Monitor so we can resolve this misunderstanding. Thanks!
I thought he meant it as a joke...maybe I'm wrong.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber