The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Default solid sides or laminate

I am going to buy a new cutaway nylon classical, I am looking at a used breedlove bossa nova, and a cutaway from rodriguez, the model d from rodriguez, and a ramirez 2CWE cutaway. The question I have is that the Ramire3z and some of the rodriguez guitars have laminate sides and the breedlove has solid sides.
How much difference in the sound do the laminate sides make, is the sound less full? What is the reality, the only concern on the breedlove is that the body shape is not the normal classical so how does it sound. I am looking for a very full sounding guitar that will have incredible sustain.
Rodriguez also offers a cutaway with solid cypress sides and spruce top instead of cedar, anyone play one of these?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Some very expensive instruments ( >$10,000) have laminated sides and back, so I wouldn’t consider that a criteria.

Mike
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM

The sides don't resonate, so it doesn't matter whether they're laminate or solid from a tonal perspective. Laminated sides are less prone to cracking, so a case can be made for superiority in construction.

Short answer: buy the guitar that speaks to you.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM

okay, I am down to the Breedlove and the ramirez 2cwe, the breedlove will run me 2300 and the ramirez only 1100, I like the looks of the breedlove and the fit and finish, but I have not heard one of them, I worry a bit as the shape is not quite the normal classical. the Ramirez I know is a good instrument, but still something still makes me want the Breedlove. If I had played the breedlove it would be easier.....I owned a inexpensive Breedlove and I loved the feel of the guitar, the fit and the finish, but the sound was not very full. The people at Breedlove told me that would not be the case with their Bossa nova model.....
Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 PM

For $2300, I think I would want to play it!

Tom C.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM

want to play it, great concept, but I am way, way out in the boonies.....so no go.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
want to play it, great concept, but I am way, way out in the boonies.....so no go.
If you'ld play it, you'll buy the Breedlove. 1up
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
I am looking for a ... guitar that will have incredible sustain.
Are you sure you want a nylon string, then?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical