The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 AM

Well, my mom has a new Pavan TP30 with pickup on the way.
Read good things about them here, and seems like a good option at an excellent price. Hopefully it's all she's dreamed of!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 AM

As a mother myself, I know that she will cherish that gift always in her heart. There absolutely no way she can't enjoy it. You did good!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Default TP-30 pickup

What pickup in the TP-30?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 AM

LR Baggs "Element". That's what Tom offers.
http://www.pavanguitars.com/pickups.html
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 AM

Default Congrats.

I was going to suggest finding a good pickup for your mom's Yamaha, but buying a new guitar is always better for a guitar player.

I don't know anything about Pavan guitars, but I'm sure your mom will love it anyway....
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM

The yamaha is likely more than 40 years old (my mom couldn't remember when she got it, but it was before my 34 year old brother was born), and we didn't want to do anything potentially destructive to it. Adding a pickup shouldn't be a big deal, but it didn't seem to be worth the risk..

I read good things about PAVAN guitars on here... they're spanish made, then set up by a luthier in the US. The TP30 is all solid wood, and the top is made and braced in the "custom shop".
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM

I went through a similar search last year and ended up with a Takamine TH5C. This is a cedar/rosewood model (all solid woods), cutaway, traditional classical neck width and onboard Cool Tube electronics. This has proven to be an excellent guitar, and the one that accompanies me to every gig.

I highly recommend the TH5, which is the same guitar sans the cutaway.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I have very fond memories of my Yairi CY-140.... Every one I ever played, has been to my liking.
Hey Toni,
I knew there was something I liked about you... Yairi CY140 is the shnizzit, amazing classical for under $1000 (well used... made since 1971... the old ones are the good ones).
BD
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM

If they ever made one with a hybrid neck, I would own one today. THe only reason I sold mine was becuase I can't handle the normal classical neck. Yes, these are excellent guitars. And I agree, the older the better. The ones from the mid - late 70's are the most desireable. They started out all solid construction.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
I bought a Yamaha crossover that I love. The model is NTX900FM. check out the Yamaha Website. This model has a 1 7/8" fingerboard which is slightly radiused. I prefer it over a flat 2" findgerboard of a standard classical.
Yamaha also makes a standard classical in this series, I think called NCX. There are 3 price points for each model and then a higher priced model in both the NTX and NCX. I like the sound of mine both acoustically and amplified. The build quality is excellent. I love mine. good luck, michael s.
Yes, I'll second the positive feelings about Yamaha's NTX line. My local GC had the NTX700 in the other day. This is a slimline super-comfortable model, and I have to say that I was very impressed with its acoustic sound considering what a relatively slim body it has. I'm seriously considering the all-solid wood rosewood version.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical