The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Guest 928

Default The competition

Carbon fiber guitars have primarily focused on acoustic ability, with a possible boost from electronic wonderments. CF guitars by the major makers have not done much in the way of an electric guitar that has enough acoustic for song writing and play with small ensembles of acoustic instruments. A good example of such a guitar is the new Fender American Acoustasonic Series Telecaster.

Alistair is coming close. He has done two (that I know of) 7-sized thin-bodied electric guitars--one electric, one nylon. There is a market here and Fender is all over it. I think CF would be as good if not better.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Carbon fiber guitars have primarily focused on acoustic ability, with a possible boost from electronic wonderments. CF guitars by the major makers have not done much in the way of an electric guitar that has enough acoustic for song writing and play with small ensembles of acoustic instruments. A good example of such a guitar is the new Fender American Acoustasonic Series Telecaster.

Alistair is coming close. He has done two (that I know of) 7-sized thin-bodied electric guitars--one electric, one nylon. There is a market here and Fender is all over it. I think CF would be as good if not better.
I agree. Since we have been bantering a bit about ugly guitars I officially vote the Acoustasonic the ugliest guitar of the day,week, month, year......

That thing is ugly that only a momma could love.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I agree. Since we have been bantering a bit about ugly guitars I officially vote the Acoustasonic the ugliest guitar of the day,week, month, year......

That thing is ugly that only a momma could love.
And a non guitar playing Momma
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

While that Fender would not be my choice, I hesitate to call it fugly... in public. It was made to do a job, and from the sounds of the reviews, it does that.

Could I grow to love it? Well, I already have a T-5, which is a similar premise, and the T-5 is much prettier... to my eyes. I also have an X10 which does a great job bridging that acoustic/electric situation, and is absolutely gorgeous.

Of course, our friend Jon would not find the same beauty in those sensuous Emerald lines... very much a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder... or the hands of the guitar holder.

While the beauty can be in the function, some of us look for more than that. I try not to disrespect another's choice in the important things in life: a spouse, a guitar, a boat.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
And a non guitar playing Momma
.....that looks more like a dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
While that Fender would not be my choice, I hesitate to call it fugly... in public.
True, I should be more sensitive. Those guitars are not ugly, they're......"interesting"
Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 AM

I don't know if this is a good thing. With so many tones in one guitar we no longer have an excuse to buy more guitars.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I don't know if this is a good thing. With so many tones in one guitar we no longer have an excuse to buy more guitars.

There is ALWAYS an excuse
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Guest 928

Gee whiz, I thought the Fender was beautiful. You guys must be wrong.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Gee, you would think they could have made that Tele look a lot better. Especially for $2k !!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber