The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Back in the redneck and hippie days when I was trying to learn how to play guitar I'd stop into country jams where the old timers would congregate to play guitar, or whatever, and sing. Being the younger generation back then I had allot to learn and a nice guitar. Almost 100% of the time the old timers from the depression era had old cheap guitars with bad action. To be honest I don't remember a thing about the sound or tone of any of the guitars. That's a telling statement really. They always, and I mean always, sandbagged. The more they would say about being without talent, knowledge or skill became a red flag that the old guy was going to make a fool of you. I came to respect the guitar playing of those old coots and their cheap guitars.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I have an Eastman E1OM, and the finish doesn’t bother me at all. Mine had a gloss top, though, and I’ve heard some of the newer ones do not. That might have changed my mind. For sure it’s a cost cutting measure, but I still say tone is king. It’s not massively different to me than a satin finish, and to be honest, if it helps the tone, it’s worth it. My E1 is a fantastic guitar regardless of price.
What he said
Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Back in the redneck and hippie days when I was trying to learn how to play guitar I'd stop into country jams where the old timers would congregate to play guitar, or whatever, and sing. Being the younger generation back then I had allot to learn and a nice guitar. Almost 100% of the time the old timers from the depression era had old cheap guitars with bad action. To be honest I don't remember a thing about the sound or tone of any of the guitars. That's a telling statement really. They always, and I mean always, sandbagged. The more they would say about being without talent, knowledge or skill became a red flag that the old guy was going to make a fool of you. I came to respect the guitar playing of those old coots and their cheap guitars.
It is very cool that you were able to have that experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion