The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Default Really great sounding Schertler rig

Just the other day I installed the same pole mount I used for my Schertler Jam 400 into my Jam 200. Well last night, I used the Jam 200 with the Schertler BASS subwoofer. To really hear the separation I used the low-cut feature of the Jam 200 and I could really hear the BASS sub shine. It also cleaned up the vocals in the Jam 200!!! To feed the sub I used the DI out which is adjustable on the Jam 200. I just hit a chord I reached over and dialed the DI control till I heard the perfect balance between cabinets. It sounded HUGE and it made playing so much fun! The room that I was playing in is notorious for being a hard sounding room to get a good sound in as it has low ceilings and a very long throw along with one whole wall of glass windows, yet I loved the tone I was getting. The setup time of this rig including my pedalboard (Bloomery Volume, Grace Alice, Boss TU3 tuner, Keeley Delay Workstation) was less than 10 minutes! I used the straps I use for my XLR cables to tidy up the wiring down the sub pole.

Here's the rig...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-10-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM

That looks great and probably sounded even better. With going to the BOSE S1s and/or AER 60/3, I often wonder what a good small compact sub would do for me. I assume I would need a crossover to send a line out from an S1 or the AER. I know some subs have built in crossovers but I have never seen the Schertler sub before.
Great setup and I am all for quick setup times.
Thanks for sharing,
Davidc
Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
That looks great and probably sounded even better. With going to the BOSE S1s and/or AER 60/3, I often wonder what a good small compact sub would do for me. I assume I would need a crossover to send a line out from an S1 or the AER. I know some subs have built in crossovers but I have never seen the Schertler sub before.
Thanks for sharing,
Davidc
I send a full range DI signal to it and it works fine, and it has both parallel and crossover'd outs if you want to send a signal to another smaller HF cab...

https://www.schertler.com/en-US/shop/amplifiers/bass
Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I send a full range DI signal to it and it works fine, and it has both parallel and crossover'd outs if you want to send a signal to another smaller HF cab...

https://www.schertler.com/en-US/shop/amplifiers/bass
You shouldn't be sending a full range signal to the sub unless it automatically filters out anything above (approx) 100hz. In that case, the tops should have a high pass of 100hz.

It's still better to use an active crossover. That way you can even select the freq and balance the sub and tops. Rolls makes a tiny two way crossover that I keep right on my board for when I run my sub.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Just the other day I installed the same pole mount I used for my Schertler Jam 400 into my Jam 200. Well last night, I used the Jam 200 with the Schertler BASS subwoofer. To really hear the separation I used the low-cut feature of the Jam 200 and I could really hear the BASS sub shine. It also cleaned up the vocals in the Jam 200!!! To feed the sub I used the DI out which is adjustable on the Jam 200. I just hit a chord I reached over and dialed the DI control till I heard the perfect balance between cabinets. It sounded HUGE and it made playing so much fun! The room that I was playing in is notorious for being a hard sounding room to get a good sound in as it has low ceilings and a very long throw along with one whole wall of glass windows, yet I loved the tone I was getting. The setup time of this rig including my pedalboard (Bloomery Volume, Grace Alice, Boss TU3 tuner, Keeley Delay Workstation) was less than 10 minutes! I used the straps I use for my XLR cables to tidy up the wiring down the sub pole.

Here's the rig...

Can you post a pic of that board? Looks cool.
I'm guessing a Grace Felix... do I see a foot rest built into the board? That's a cool idea!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Thanks for sharing,
Davidc
The Fishman SA Sub seems like a good match for the S1 Pro.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Thanks I will take a look at the Fishman.
David
Old 01-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Can you post a pic of that board? Looks cool.
I'm guessing a Grace Felix... do I see a foot rest built into the board? That's a cool idea!
not a footrest, a volume pedal

left to right...

Keeley Workstation Delay/Reverb, Grace Alix, Boss Wazacraft TU3 Tuner, Tapestry Bloomery Volume Pedal.

The Grace Alix has a 9V DC outlet that powers the pedals.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
You shouldn't be sending a full range signal to the sub unless it automatically filters out anything above (approx) 100hz. In that case, the tops should have a high pass of 100hz.

It's still better to use an active crossover. That way you can even select the freq and balance the sub and tops. Rolls makes a tiny two way crossover that I keep right on my board for when I run my sub.
The Schertler sub is designed to work that way as per Schertler and it's internal crossover is perfect for the application. And the top, which is not just a powered speaker but a Jam 200 amp has switch dedicated to the perfect high pass frequency for when using the sub with it. Although you don't have to high pass the tops if you don't want, as this is not like running a mixer into a sub and a powered speaker. The Jam 200 is designed to be run both ways, it just sounds better when high passing when using with the sub. But some people like to run it full range for a little extra volume. These items were designed to work together.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-10-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
not a footrest, a volume pedal

left to right...

Keeley Workstation Delay/Reverb, Grace Alix, Boss Wazacraft TU3 Tuner, Tapestry Bloomery Volume Pedal.

The Grace Alix has a 9V DC outlet that powers the pedals.

That board is beautiful!

I'm looking at the Alix because I just bought a 1952 Gibson J-45 with a K&K already installed. I loop and use the controls on my current pickup a lot when switching between EQ's for guitar and bass (via a Boss OC3 Octave) tones.

I've been thinking about the Alix or the Empress ParaEQ. I just need to have tone shaping options that aren't going to require cutting a barn door into the guitar.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
That board is beautiful!

I'm looking at the Alix because I just bought a 1952 Gibson J-45 with a K&K already installed. I loop and use the controls on my current pickup a lot when switching between EQ's for guitar and bass (via a Boss OC3 Octave) tones.

I've been thinking about the Alix or the Empress ParaEQ. I just need to have tone shaping options that aren't going to require cutting a barn door into the guitar.
We are totally on the same page KID

Congrats on the '52 J45, my favorite guitars are J45s!!! My '64, is the first guitar I pickup up to when I'm recording one of my own songs...

One of my originals on it...

And on stage my 50's reissue J45 is one of my favorite giggers and with 3 years of gigs on it (about 750), it's starting to sound great! Here's a Dylan song I recorded with it a few nights ago...

As for the Alix and Express Para EQ they both are FANTASTIC pedals!!!

The Alix is a great preamp and it has some deep functionality as in you can change the high pass knob into a notch filter, change the corner frequency of the Low control from 80hz to 250hz, and switch between two different midrange freq ranges, among many other things. I also really like the ability to power 9 v FX from it's convenience outlet!

That said, I also own the Empress Para EQ (see pic below of my bigger concert board) and that bugger is surgical!!!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-11-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
We are totally on the same page KID

Congrats on the '52 J45, my favorite guitars are J45s!!! My '64, is the first guitar I pickup up to when I'm recording one of my own songs...

One of my originals on it...

And on stage my 50's reissue J45 is one of my favorite giggers and with 3 years of gigs on it (about 750), it's starting to sound great! Here's a Dylan song I recorded with it a few nights ago...

As for the Alix and Express Para EQ they both are FANTASTIC pedals!!!

The Alix is a great preamp and it has some deep functionality as in you can change the high pass knob into a notch filter, change the corner frequency of the Low control from 80hz to 250hz, and switch between two different midrange freq ranges, among many other things. I also really like the ability to power 9 v FX from it's convenience outlet!

That said, I also own the Empress Para EQ (see pic below of my bigger concert board) and that bugger is surgical!!!

Wow same page, same book! Great clips by the way.

For acoustic, do you give the edge to the Alix or the Empress?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Wow same page, same book! Great clips by the way.

For acoustic, do you give the edge to the Alix or the Empress?
I prefer the Alix because of the routing possibilities. I like sending an XLR to my board, having my delay/reverb in the loop, and having a tuner out not in the direct signal path. Besides that, is has different input impedance settings and a ton of clean gain when the pickups are weak. That gain has saved me as internal batteries in my guitar were dying on stage But if all you need is surgical EQ the ParaEQ is perfect.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I prefer the Alix because of the routing possibilities. I like sending an XLR to my board, having my delay/reverb in the loop, and having a tuner out not in the direct signal path. Besides that, is has different input impedance settings and a ton of clean gain when the pickups are weak. That gain has saved me as internal batteries in my guitar were dying on stage But if all you need is surgical EQ the ParaEQ is perfect.
I'll probably go with the Empress. I really just need a good parametric EQ. The Grace Designs stuff is killer though.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM

I used to use a stompbox EQ (Tech21 Qstrip) every time I played, even if it was just a single song at an open mic. That was with an M80 or stock piezo. With the Schertler AG-6/S-Mic I am using now, I don't need to. I like it flat. If you need extensive EQ, I would consider checking out some other pickups.

I used to use the Qstrip when I hosted an open mic, and it sounded great with all the pickups I ran into.

Six things I really like about the Qstrip:

1) I could power it with phantom power.

2) It sipped battery power. You could run it for months on a single 9v. The red LED would gradually get dim over months of use and it would still sound great when you could just barely see the LED light.

3) The Q on all bands gradually increases as you cut or boosted harder. It was very much like an old analog board EQ in this way.

4) All analog. If you boosted the bass really hard it would gently give you the same sort of saturation that you would expect from a vintage analog board. Absolutely beautiful sounding. Very clean flat.

5) It could handle anything from soft passive pickups to really hot active ones.

6) It also functioned as a really good active direct box. I found that many passive pickups sounded perfect even with the EQ punched off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification