The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Why is a AT2035 better when used upside down?

I saw this comment a few times and I'm curious as to why. Is this true or an urban legend,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-25-2018, 01:07 PM

It's not true.
Tube mics are sometime hung upside down because of the heat.
The 2035 is a solid state mic.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:35 PM

I've never heard this before...and I would seriously doubt that it's true. I use AT4050s quite often & have hung them right side up, upside down & sideways without hearing any difference in tone. The different positions were merely a product of getting the mic into the right place for the recording.

The reason you see people hang mics upside down in old pictures comes from using old tube mics. They would get hot and engineers began hanging them upside down to keep the heat from the tube in the mic body from wafting up to the capsule & effecting the mic's sound/performance.

HTH.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-26-2018, 06:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There's another very practical reason to hang the mics upside down: If you hang them upside down and right about nose level, they don't get in the way of sheet music or a lead sheet on a music stand below.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:18 AM

In my world, big mics in general are more practical upside down about 95% of the time. Especially if they're on a boom. They're always in the way of something otherwise.

Couch Standards
Old 12-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
There's another very practical reason to hang the mics upside down: If you hang them upside down and right about nose level, they don't get in the way of sheet music or a lead sheet on a music stand below.

Bob
Hi Bob…

I also find singers don’t pop them as badly/often when I drop them in from above (I still use pop shields). I noticed Chris Thiel was using a large diaphragm rotated sidewise for his mandolin on “Live From Here" the last couple weeks.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]I noticed Chris Thiel was using a large diaphragm rotated sidewise for his mandolin on “Live From Here" the last couple weeks.
In video/photo situations, sideways is the least intrusive. Good with keyboard players who need to either read music or have eye contact, too. I try not to do it unless I have to because the strain on the mount is huge, and there's a far greater risk of having the mount or the boom allow the mic to droop (or worse) mid-take. There's no sonic benefit, near as I can tell.

Couch Standards
Old 12-26-2018, 11:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Bob…
I also find singers don’t pop them as badly/often when I drop them in from above (I still use pop shields). I noticed Chris Thiel was using a large diaphragm rotated sidewise for his mandolin on “Live From Here" the last couple weeks.
Yep. The above-the-nose thing is about getting above the pop zone. Once you are up there it makes sense to run it upside down so that it doesn't get in the way of the music stand. All practical, no alchemy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
All practical, no alchemy.

Bob
HiBob

For ‘users’ no-alchemy (or engineer-speak) is better. And even though you can engineer-speak with the best of ‘em…I sure appreciate your simple explanations!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Why has no one stated the obvious reason - because they look cooler upside down.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Besides the already mentioned reasons, supposedly if you raise the mic diaphragm slightly above nose level, the vocalist has to tilt the head up slightly which can help open up the angle of the windpipe for more air flow ... whether it makes much difference I don't know

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
... the vocalist has to tilt the head up slightly which can help open up the angle of the windpipe for more air flow
Teachers and choirmasters and opera singers and at least one recording engineer would probably disagree with you. I'm pretty sure about the recording engineer. :-)

Couch Standards

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-30-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 12-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Teachers and choirmasters and opera singers and at least one recording engineer would probably disagree with you. I'm pretty sure about the recording engineer. :-)
Maybe so, I guess I must have heard it from the vocal coach, and from several recording engineers actually, so if there is disagreement if would be with them.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-30-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 12-26-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Maybe so, I guess I must have heard it from the vocal coach, and from several recording engineers actually, so if there is disagreement if would be with them.
Okay, apologies for just quoting the gist and not the whole thing.

As for whether it makes a difference or not, we can see for ourselves without vocal coaches or engineers. Just raise your chin up wolf-howl high, sing the open vowel sound of your choice, and slowly lower your chin toward your chest. At about the midpoint, you may start to hear (and feel) a difference.

Or you may not. I don't know. :-)

Couch Standards

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-30-2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Okay, apologies for just quoting the gist and not the whole thing.

As for whether it makes a difference or not, we can see for ourselves without vocal coaches or engineers. Just raise your chin up wolf-howl high, sing the open vowel sound of your choice, and slowly lower your chin toward your chest. At about the midpoint, you may start to hear (and feel) a difference.

Or you may not. I don't know. :-)
Accepted, However to clarify a bit further no one but you was talking about "wolf howl" posture. For example I could suggest press your chin tight against your chest and try to belt out a note, then slowly raise even all the way to "wolf howl" posture , you may start to hear and feel that raising the head allows air flow but lowering restricts it very quickly .... And why do you think it is wolves do actually raise their head to howl ?????? but that statement would also be inconsistent with the actual "gist" of the discussion . Also the reason most vocal coaches recommend head level is for relaxation , not max air flow (which is what I mentioned )
And last, Perhaps I should have specified .....It was just something I heard a couple of different engineers (on two different coasts ) mention as a reason for mic position , but could definitely just be individual audio engineer folklore......Lets move on shall we ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-30-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Editing conversation

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD