The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up Praise for the Rick Turner Nylon String Hybrid

I picked up a pair of Rick Turner guitars while at the ACI Show a few months ago. Thanks to the Fret House for the good price and excellent service. The guitars were delivered set up, polished, properly boxed, and ready to play.

One of the two guitars was a Nylon-string hybrid, with a 1-13/16" neck and 25.5" scale and 2-1/4" string span at the bridge.

My guitar has a glossy dark cedar top and mahogany body and neck. This guitar plays unlike any nylon string I've picked up. Very smooth. Low, flat action that doesn't buzz. And that's one of the things I like most about this guitar... Very little fatigue from playing. Switching to this instrument after playing one of my steel string boxes is a welcome break, and allows me to keep the music going. And it's an easy switch due to the familiar feel from the modified string spacing.

As a rhythm instrument, I'm using this guitar to create an almost 'string-like' sound using some delay, compression, and a few other goodies. The 18v preamp system puts out a hot signal, and sounds great running through effects or just clean. You can play at full volume without feedback from this little gem.

Volume and tone knobs at the top of the guitar are wood knobs and add to the classy unique look of this instrument. The knobs have detents from top to bottom and I'm not sure why, but I like them. These guitars are really lightweight and both came with a high quality Kaces gig bag.

Overall, two thumbs up on the Rick Turner Renaissance Nylon Hybrid. Check them out if you get a chance.

JR
Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 AM

Hi JR,

It is nice to see you here on your new Nylon String forum. Rick Turner makes some gorgeous guitars and deserves more recognition than he gets... I love his slight assymetries at both waists and bouts... sexy. I got to play one at NAM... Nice! Did you get two of the same guitar, or different?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated. And kudos to Fret House...we love those folks.

Note that the photo is of an older model. The peghead overlays are wood these days (I think that one was tortoise celluloid), and instead of the "r" logo, we now use the Turner "sun lion" head design.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Turner View Post
Note that the photo is of an older model. The peghead overlays are wood these days (I think that one was tortoise celluloid), and instead of the "r" logo, we now use the Turner "sun lion" head design.
Mine has what looks like a flamed walnut headstock overlay with the 'sun lion' head design. Very nice. I'll try to post pics of this guitar when I get a chance... and its sibling - a steel string RS6.

JR
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 AM

Point of interest for any of you Grateful Dead fans...

The "Sun Lion" was designed by "Bear"...

Look him up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical