The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Default Nylon Cutaway for Blues

I would appreciate suggestions for a nylon cutaway with decent electronics to play BLUES, brazilian, folk, classic rock, but also to play anything amplified... I play classical now, so 1-7/8" - 2" nut width. I especially want a great sound for the blues (my flamenco guitar is outstanding, but standard 12 fret). I would like to find a good used instrument under $1k. In research, it appears Cervantes/Pavan get very high ratings, not easy to find used. Do any of you play "Gypsy" guitars, Gitane or other, as an "all around"? How about the La Patrie CW... sounds like a great value?

Last edited by billder99; 07-10-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 AM

For your price range, I would recommend LaPatrie, Yairi, Alvarez, or Yamaha. Check out Eldery Instuments. They have a great selection of used Nylons in your price range. This is also a great place to do business with. http://www.elderly.com/vintage/cats/28U.html
Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Cordoba GK Studio. Perfect for your needs (and a great guitar). You can find it at Guitar Center.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Default Great list of nylon cutaways w/electronics

Thanks Toni & Gerardo. I have been "living and breathing" guitars for the last 2 days. I have found lots of great nylon cutaways with electronics, and thought it might be useful for others to list some of my favorites. I broke into 3 "tiers", all of these readily available at street price or used on EBay:

Tier 3 (up to $750): La Patrie CW, Cordoba CK Studio, Yamaha NCX900, used Takamine EC132C (this would be a winner with Cool Tube pre-amp), Yamaha CG171SFC <add electronics>

Tier 2 ($750-$1500): Kremona (Fiesta CW, Fandango CW, Rondo is Spruce/Walnut... ummm), Guild GAD 4N & 5N, Pavan TP-20-CE, Cordoba 55FCE, Takamine TH5C, Yamaha NCX/NTX 1200, Kenny Hill Estudio CW

Tier 1 ($1,500-$2,500): Takamine TC135SC, Yamaha GCX31C, Yamaha NTX2000,

Tier 1 - Custom Shops (under $3,000: Johnny Walker, Cervantes, Darin Hippner, Francisco Navarro

Note that I said these are my favorites, not "best". It would be helpful for others who are looking to add your own favorites to this list. I am going to get either the Cordoba CK Studio or the Takamine EC132SC with Cool Tube.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Keep us posted once you purchase. THe search is just the beginning of the fun. BY the way, you might want to check the classifieds here ont his forum. I have seen a Yamaha, and 2 Taylor NS guitar within the last week. I also remember seeing a Kenny Hill within the past 2 weeks. Someone on this forum is selling a Cervantes Crossover 1 cedar/indian rosewood. A lot of deals to be had.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical