The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Could you explain more about your stomp setup?
Hopefully, 5 pictures are worth 5,000 words...

I am using the compressor only for single note leads and it is the only block assigned to a footswitch. I used to use the LA Studio compressor but I found the Deluxe compressor programming more intuitive. The initial subsonic cut and 9 kHz high cut predate my first IRs from Cuki (long before I wrote jf45ir.m). The HFN in a RainSong can be brittle sounding without the 9 kHz cut.

I am currently using an IR generated by my own script, jf45ir.m, derived from the same recorded sample I had previously shared with Cuki. I like the neutral EQ nature of my IRs. When I listen to my guitar I don't hear big fat bass, it is a CF parlor afterall. When I use IRs from other sources it is as if they are trying to make it into an idealized acoustic guitar. That sort of IR works well in my living room but does not hold up at higher gig volumes. Once I add plate reverb and a high cut I think my IR sounds equally good at home and at a gig.

As an aside, I have the first EQ block set for +6 dB gain which is about what I think a passive HFN needs to get up to the level of a K&K Mini or a Gibson Humbucking electric pickup.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-04-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Thank you. You don’t have an IR suggestion for a Martin 000-28 modern deluxe do you?
Old 03-04-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you. You don’t have an IR suggestion for a Martin 000-28 modern deluxe do you?
Check out Cuki's website for instructions on how to record a sample. Send it to him or me and we will send you back an IR. If you want, you can run my IR generator on your PC.

This is the introduction to my IR generator:
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?article136

Go to the top level of the website to find instructions on how to record a sample.

If you are new to DAWs (digital audio workstations), then IMO the easiest approach is a low end mass market audio interface, like a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 USB Audio Interface, the free GNU DAW Audacity or MAC Garage Band, and find a friend from which to borrow an instrument mic if you don't own one.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-02-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I own a Custom Shop 00028cutaway with a Fishman pickup and plan to ask the guys to generate an IR for it in the next 6 weeks or so. Might be close.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Default Generate Your IR with an EQ'ed Mic Sample for More Versatility

I know this is not new news, but if you install my script (and Octave) and capture your guitar samples with a DAW (Audacity is free and easy), then it is a simple step to EQ the mic channel in the DAW while playing it back through your favorite speaker. Next you export that EQ'd mic channel and the raw pickup to a new WAV file to run through jf45ir. This gives you an IR that targets your EQ'ed to perfection mic. For example, as Guitarluva reported on a different thread, it allowed him to notch out a wolf tone.

The nice thing about using a DAW for IR generation is all of this is saved on your PC, input WAV files and IR WAV files, with clear filenames you chose and date information. Training real time on ToneDexter is less work, but the extra work of using a DAW has a huge payback in flexibility and record keeping.

Jon Fields
Old 03-28-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The nice thing about using a DAW for IR generation is all of this is saved on your PC, input WAV files and IR WAV files, with clear filenames you chose and date information. Training real time on ToneDexter is less work, but the extra work of using a DAW has a huge payback in flexibility and record keeping.
I've found this to be very useful. As discussed elsewhere I've incorporated recording/EQ/playback into my TD training process to some effect. Initial experiments suggest it's more useful for JF45's script & Octave.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I've found this to be very useful. As discussed elsewhere I've incorporated recording/EQ/playback into my TD training process to some effect. Initial experiments suggest it's more useful for JF45's script & Octave.
I think Cuki and ToneDexter include some traditional EQ in their generation. Cuki's latest uses a Tonematch-like IIR optimization that is available in a full Matlab license which he then folds into the IR. I only have base Matlab (and one module) and is not part of open source free Octave. This optimization is essentially a graphic EQ with a large number of sliders (but not approaching the underlying IR) to correct any large scale EQ mismatch that the IR generation process might have accumulated (generally gain up of the lower bass response). If you were to add your own EQ to the IR generator's EQ, I think it makes the problem a bit more complicated to get to what you specifically want.

jf45ir is a bare bones implementation of the math that for reasons I can only speculate, does not gain up the low bass excessively. I think it is a good neutral platform for adding EQ to your taste. If you are going to the trouble of using a DAW (instead of real time training with ToneDexter) this is a decent payback for your trouble as adding EQ to the mic channel is trivial in any DAW. Using a DAW for ToneDexter training is also an option to add EQ, but running my script is simpler once you are at that point.

Capturing your EQ in the IR instead of your preamp knobs is a more roadworthy to carry the EQ to a gig.

Jon Fields
Old 03-31-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I think Cuki and ToneDexter include some traditional EQ in their generation. Cuki's latest uses a Tonematch-like IIR optimization that is available in a full Matlab license which he then folds into the IR. I only have base Matlab (and one module) and is not part of open source free Octave. This optimization is essentially a graphic EQ with a large number of sliders (but not approaching the underlying IR) to correct any large scale EQ mismatch that the IR generation process might have accumulated (generally gain up of the lower bass response). If you were to add your own EQ to the IR generator's EQ, I think it makes the problem a bit more complicated to get to what you specifically want.

jf45ir is a bare bones implementation of the math that for reasons I can only speculate, does not gain up the low bass excessively. I think it is a good neutral platform for adding EQ to your taste. If you are going to the trouble of using a DAW (instead of real time training with ToneDexter) this is a decent payback for your trouble as adding EQ to the mic channel is trivial in any DAW. Using a DAW for ToneDexter training is also an option to add EQ, but running my script is simpler once you are at that point.

Capturing your EQ in the IR instead of your preamp knobs is a more roadworthy to carry the EQ to a gig.
I'm using your approach but would like to tweak it after the fact. Is there a way to sculpt the IR after it has been generated by Octave?
Old 03-31-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caballero59 View Post
I'm using your approach but would like to tweak it after the fact. Is there a way to sculpt the IR after it has been generated by Octave?
Assuming you saved the original recording of the pickup and mic, you add EQ to the mic channel and export a new WAV file to run through jf45ir.

You can take any pair of IRs and convolve them to generate a combined IR. This is not different from running two IR blocks in series in an effects pedal such as my HX Stomp. Convolution is a built-in function in Octave and Matlab. So getting this done is pretty trivial.

https://octave.sourceforge.io/octave/function/conv.html

The next problem would be generating the second IR to convolve with the output of jf45ir. Do you have something in mind?

Jon Fields
Old 04-26-2020, 03:44 AM

Default Need help with Octave

I am on the fence of buying a Tonedexter or the announced Baggs Soundscape. Using my HX Stomp with Sigma IRs and two EQ blocks as notch filters is a bit cumbersome...
Then I found the info on Jon Fields Octave here. I made a few recordings and wanted to input them in the command line: first, I did I not find any jf45ir file on my Mac. Maybe the Octave app file is meant by this. I put my McIlroy recording in the same folder as the app (in the program folder, that is) and entered jf45ir(‘McIlroy’) in the command line, hit enter, but only error messages appeared. Tried it without brackets, different single quote signs etc but no success.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
I am on the fence of buying a Tonedexter or the announced Baggs Soundscape. Using my HX Stomp with Sigma IRs and two EQ blocks as notch filters is a bit cumbersome...
Then I found the info on Jon Fields Octave here. I made a few recordings and wanted to input them in the command line: first, I did I not find any jf45ir file on my Mac. Maybe the Octave app file is meant by this. I put my McIlroy recording in the same folder as the app (in the program folder, that is) and entered jf45ir(‘McIlroy’) in the command line, hit enter, but only error messages appeared. Tried it without brackets, different single quote signs etc but no success.
What am I doing wrong?
Just pm me a google drive link to your recording files. I'll make the IRs and will add them to the database.

+ You will benefit from my latest algorithm which does not need as much EQ

Cheers,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-26-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Hienrich,

Email me and I'll walk you through it. It sounds like you did not download my script or did not change the working directory in Octave to the one which included my script and your WAV file. My script is not included with the Octave installation. If you email me your files I can process them for you too. It might be worth the trouble to try out both IRs, mine and Cuki's.

It is also worth the trouble to listen to your guitar recording and make sure you are happy with the mic recording. If not, make another sample.

Jon

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-26-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:08 PM

Hi Cuki and Jon,

That’s really nice of you guys!
I will get back to you tomorrow, just too knackered tonight, my wife dragged me through a mountain path, oh well...
I wonder if you guys are still using a Tonedexter even when you developed such great software...
Old 04-26-2020, 01:54 PM

I have owned a ToneDexter in the past and it is a fine product. I wanted an IR in a single multipurpose pedal, my HX Stomp, and ToneDexter IRs are encrypted. Also, I did not want to have to bother Cuki to generate a new IR everytime I bought a new pickup or guitar. And finally, encrypted IRs are useless if you buy a new pedal.

It seems clear to me an open solution you can run yourself at home has merit.

If you could send me a screenshot of Octave not running jf45ir correctly I can tell you what is wrong. I've been helping three other guys this week (US, UK & China) and that is a fast way to a solution.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-26-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you guys are still using a Tonedexter even when you developed such great software...
I never had a Tonedexter, I started developping my IR program before Tonedexter was released. I knew it would take long to be available in Europe and would cost a lot (It costs 530$ (489€) in Europe). So I thought it would rather make one myself.

At the end of the day, I don't know if I saved any money because I bought and sold many IR loaders (Logidy EPSI, AMT Pangae, DIY axoloti, NUX solid studio and Torpedo CAB M). Later, looking for IR loaders became a hobby too. Most people want to focus on playing guitar more than gear... I think Tonedexter is the right tool for them (if they can afford it).
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification