The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-10-2021, 01:06 PM

Default Warmouth necks

Hi , just checking out this site for a neck for my Tele. I am mostly an acoustic fingerpicker ,never use a flatpick and never play lead stuff. My Tele has a stock neck [nothing wrong with it] but it's too narrow ,so I don't play it as much. There are SO many options here that it can be confusing. I need a 1 3/4 " nut . thats all I really care about Thanks.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:27 PM

I currently own one Warmoth neck and have one on order. I have previously owned 3 others I think. I am really an acoustic guy too, so I like bigger necks on my electrics. For some reason, the Danos are an exception for me in the big neck category. Anyway, for an acoustic player, I recommend the vintage modern (I had one of their modern necks and did not like the truss rod adjustment - too easy to mess that up) and pay extra for the '59 round back. It is a little bigger than many necks, but not overly so.

Last edited by TiffanyGuitar; 09-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:13 PM

I bought a Warmoth neck for my parts-o-caster build over 10 years ago. They're great. Just make sure you know what you want in addition to the 1 3/4" nut width, such as radius and fret size.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I bought a Warmoth neck for my parts-o-caster build over 10 years ago. They're great. Just make sure you know what you want in addition to the 1 3/4" nut width, such as radius and fret size.
Agree. My roasted maple boat neck has been super stable - it's about 4 years old now.

I use 6105 fret wire - sort of a medium jumbo. It is comfortable. All of my necks have been their standard 10 to 16" compound radius. I guess some would notice it and say it feels different, but I really don't.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:43 PM

I have a Warmoth "boatneck" on my tele, ebony fretboard on maple, with a 1.75" nut.

Best neck I've ever played. Highly recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-10-2021, 03:03 PM

Thanks guys, I am new to this process. Do they install frets for you ?
Old 09-10-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Thanks guys, I am new to this process. Do they install frets for you ?
Yes, frets come installed. Just make sure you specify whether the guitar is finished or not.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:23 AM

Ok ; I think, since I'm sure what I want, I better talk to someone there before i buy anything.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Ok ; I think, since I'm sure what I want, I better talk to someone there before i buy anything.
Yes, go through all the 'build your own neck' options on the website and then give Warmoth a call for any questions you have. They also have built necks in stock so give those a look just in case there's something you can get now.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:22 AM

I can't seem to find anything on Warmouth web about "Boatneck"style necks.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:09 AM

They still offer it. It is one of their "standard" offerings as they don't up charge for it. They have changed their website. Go to guitar necks (upper left on the site). Then select neck profiles.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:12 PM

Nothing comes up when I type in boatneck. their website is very slow.. Guess I'll call them.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I can't seem to find anything on Warmouth web about "Boatneck"style necks.
Here's the Warmoth page where it defines the boatneck:

https://warmoth.com/index.php/guitar-neck-profiles
Old 09-13-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Here's the Warmoth page where it defines the boatneck:

https://warmoth.com/index.php/guitar-neck-profiles
Thank you for this info , I could not find it. I just wonder how you're supposed to pick which one you want , I have no idea what to expect. It seems like once you buy it ;you're stuck with it,or send it back and try another one.Hmmm.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:28 PM

It helps a lot if you have some experience with necks and have some idea what you like. I took a chance with my boatneck and really like it. I had purchased previous to the boatneck for other builds, that I eventually sold off when people liked them, a standard thin (didn't like it - too thin and shreddy for me - I don't think their description is very good for this one - I think it feels thinner than Fender necks). I also previously had a '59 roundback. Nice neck - that build also sold when someone else liked it. When I ordered the boat neck, I knew at that time that I liked Fender necks ok, but thought they were a little too thin, so that gave me some idea. I have always liked my Gibson J-30 neck, which isn't huge, but it isn't small. I once had an old 1930s Supertone with a V neck and had liked that neck.

If you have never purchased one before and have never held a V neck, you might want to stay away from it. I really think you can't go wrong with the '59 roundback. You pay a little more for it It feels very much like my Gibson acoustic neck - which makes sense - they say it is based on a 59 Les Paul. It is sort of a middle of the road C shape. Comfortable, bigger than shreddy thin, but not huge.

This is my tele with the boatneck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5404 (2).jpg (17.8 KB, 58 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars