The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Hi, can one play an electric like a Tele through a few Boss pedals (fairly clean sound) straight into a PA, and sounds fine? This would be in a duo setting. Two singers two guitars.
I used to do this. I had a Boss multi-effect pedal board, an ME-10 from way back, and that went right into a couple of channels on my mixer board and then to the PA. I got tired of dragging around a heavy amplifier and I also had much better control of the relative level of the electric guitar using the ME-10 going to the PA.

Pedals are so much better today -- this was more than 30 years ago when I did this -- that it would work even better now. You can get some very realistic electric guitar sounds from a pedal box, such as the Strymon Iridium. A Boss ME-80 would work well, too.

- Glenn
Old 09-10-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I saw John Stewart back in the 90s in a music store concert and that's exactly what he did, plugged a Strat into the PA. His bass player (his only back up musician) did the same thing. Sounded fine. I guess he didn't know he wasn't supposed to do that.
I prefer tube amps with my Core but you can certainly use PAs, and/or direct to the house.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:29 AM

I played my Gretsch 6120T thru my pedal board tonight into my acoustic guitar amp, which is basically a mini PA, it's a SCHERTLER JAM 200. Sounded great. On my board I have a JHS Colour BOX V2 an a Helix Stomp.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
...Boss ME-80 would work well...
I just did four performances at the fair using my ME-80, one being with the acoustic as a solo set, then twice with my friends band and finally the closing jam. Works very well and is my favorite out of the three I've owned, the prior two being the ME-20 and ME-70.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-11-2021, 05:55 AM

I've been doing a special time during my work (high school teacher) day devoted to "audio mixing live sound." And we did just this. We plugged a dual humbucker electric guitar directly into the PA, comprised of Yamaha DXS12 subs, DBR10 tops, and MSR400 wedge monitor and and MGP16X mixer.

The tone was way too dark. I added some high eq, which helped.

Then, we tried a little Fender 15 amp.

Then a Bugera Infinium tube amp.

Finally, we went through a Yamaha DG Stomp.

Into the PA, micing an amp works, but it adds several potential problems to the mix [pun intended].

Using some processor designed for an electric guitar gives a terrific tone without the worry of mic selection, mic placement, grabbing a decent mic cable, interference sounds that are near the mic.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I've been doing a special time during my work (high school teacher) day devoted to "audio mixing live sound." And we did just this. We plugged a dual humbucker electric guitar directly into the PA, comprised of Yamaha DXS12 subs, DBR10 tops, and MSR400 wedge monitor and and MGP16X mixer.

The tone was way too dark. I added some high eq, which helped.

Then, we tried a little Fender 15 amp.

Then a Bugera Infinium tube amp.

Finally, we went through a Yamaha DG Stomp.

Into the PA, micing an amp works, but it adds several potential problems to the mix [pun intended].

Using some processor designed for an electric guitar gives a terrific tone without the worry of mic selection, mic placement, grabbing a decent mic cable, interference sounds that are near the mic.
What do you see as the potential problems with a mic on an amp? I do that at each gig, and other than the 30 seconds or so it takes to position the mic on the stand I don't see any down side. Some people talk about mic bleed, but IME that's a non-problem on a close-mic'd amp. And it sounds noticeably better than the other "direct" options I've tried, though I don't claim to have tried them all.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I have a PRS Piezo, and run the Humbucker output through a Zoom G3 (which has amp modeling) into a Yamaha Stagepass, and the piezo output straight into the Yamaha. Sounds very good, though I haven't tested it in a live and loud situation.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:34 AM

I did it once and had trouble hearing myself in the mix.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:40 AM

I would never do that as my only source of sound. I have an inherent distrust of sound technicians and it is hard to get a good monitor sound. When I use my small amp, I can control my sound. If I can not hear myself, I can't play well.
On Acoustic guitar, I can go either way, but using my fishman loudbox as a direct connect allows me to hear my guitar the way I want to.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:29 PM

Wink

Well this is studio stuff, but anyway:

Gilmour solo on Another brick.. straight into console

4:25

but he added the amp sound there too.... it just didnt have the meat

And the most famous into the desk only guitar track

It might have worked in the studio just fine..

But for playing live - I need my trousers flapping
Old 09-13-2021, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
What do you see as the potential problems with a mic on an amp? I do that at each gig, and other than the 30 seconds or so it takes to position the mic on the stand I don't see any down side. Some people talk about mic bleed, but IME that's a non-problem on a close-mic'd amp. And it sounds noticeably better than the other "direct" options I've tried, though I don't claim to have tried them all.
Wrong mic for the job, poor quality mic cable, improper mic placement, mic stand with possibility of being knocked over. Otherwise, great results.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think many of us would agree that a decent quality mic properly positioned in front of a good sounding amp is pretty much ideal. But some folks are looking for a way to keep it simple and minimize how much heavy stuff they have to drag to a gig. For those looking to eliminate the need for a guitar amp, there are options.

The lead electric player in my son's progressive metal band has a terrific sounding Mesa Triple Rectifier amp and 4x12 cabinet. Lately, he takes a light weight JBL powered 12" PA speaker and a Line 6 Helix to his gigs so that he doesn't have to drag all that heavy stuff to a gig. Eliminating that big amp and speaker also means he can drive to the gig in something more fuel-efficient, as well.

- Glenn
Old 09-13-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think many of us would agree that a decent quality mic properly positioned in front of a good sounding amp is pretty much ideal. But some folks are looking for a way to keep it simple and minimize how much heavy stuff they have to drag to a gig. For those looking to eliminate the need for a guitar amp, there are options.

The lead electric player in my son's progressive metal band has a terrific sounding Mesa Triple Rectifier amp and 4x12 cabinet. Lately, he takes a light weight JBL powered 12" PA speaker and a Line 6 Helix to his gigs so that he doesn't have to drag all that heavy stuff to a gig. Eliminating that big amp and speaker also means he can drive to the gig in something more fuel-efficient, as well.

- Glenn
Oh sure, I'm well aware of that and certainly don't disagree. I just wondered what it was about putting a mic on an amp that was seen as enough of an issue to be called out, whereas all the things that can also go wrong with the other approaches weren't. I don't know that the mic is any less idiot-proof than other approaches. Shoot, I played with a guy who actually made a Kemper sound bad.

I tried to eliminate my mic too, I just couldn't find anything I liked the sound of as well as the mic on the amp, and I'm just not ready yet to give up on having an amp on stage.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I just couldn't find anything I liked the sound of as well as the mic on the amp, and I'm just not ready yet to give up on having an amp on stage.
I have the same problem, so I haul my forty pound Bugera V22 amp with me when I take my Gretsch. I don't like carrying the amp, but I haven't found an effective substitute.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-13-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Thanks Joe. Would this be the last pedal in the chain then before the PA?

PS I shipped you that PUP to try out
From what I've read Sal yes, you want to place the amp simulator at the end of the chain.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars