The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-08-2021, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Blues Jr IV or 68 Vibro Champ

Hi again,

I owned a BJR years ago... I recently started getting electric again, and bought a Fender Champ 20 because it was cheap. I am returning it, and thinking of the above two models.

Which do you like and why?

Issues with each?

Thank you!
Old 09-08-2021, 05:50 AM

I had trouble finding a Vibro Champ in-stock, except for Guitar Center floor samples, or full MAP off of Fender's website. I ended up with a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, which at the same weight as the Vibro Champ, is much more versatile. The tone is outstanding nailing the original, to my ear, and having the benefit of a backside power control.

The Blues Jr is another good choice and could keep up with a drummer where the Champ might be unable to hit a clean rhythm tone at that volume level.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Jon...

Both of these amps are definitely pricey, I am sadly just discovering what a new black hole the World of Amps are. You can spend $5k..... sick.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 AM

Depends on what you play and how you play and it what context and then on to personal taste. So it's hard to say.

I used to play with a fine player who used an original generation Blues Jr. It sounded OK to me, but he never felt it had the Fender mid-scroop bright and tight sound he wanted as his clean tone.

I think I convinced him to go with a Princeton back in the day when the originals were still affordable (I played then with a pre-CBS non-reverb Princeton.)

Champs can be a lot of fun at the right volume. Cranked they always get a little rough, at least through the typical small speakers they come with. I have no experience with the current Vibro Champ. I still have a Champ 600 (a "TV front" style combo that was offered closer to the turn of the century.) I never found much use for it with the supplied speaker. When I do use it, I essentially use it as small "head" into a external speaker cabinet.

I'm prejudiced toward the Princeton myself. More clean overhead, less speaker breakup when pushed. The person above who mentioned the Tonemaster line has a worthwhile suggestion as the attenuator-set volume and weight of those are in Champ/Princeton territory (or even below!) but with enough clean power and speaker to get louder if needed.

If cheap and cheerful, small, and light are the thing you seek the "modeling to tube power section" the Fender Super Champ is nifty package at a low price. Don't let the "modeling" stop you if you are one of those afraid of options as there's a dead simple straightaway channel 1 and the modeling channel is a single Fender skirted and numbered knob to change pre-amp character. I believe it may be recently dropped from Fender's line, but used examples are out there.

The two you started off with are good amps. Either might please you, or not. I can't tell. If you can't shop you may have to resort to catch and release to see what fits your style, taste, and needs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-08-2021, 05:49 PM

Personally, I'd go with something else, entirely, but between those two choices, I'd go with the BJ.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Personally, I'd go with something else, entirely, but between those two choices, I'd go with the BJ.
FWIW, I think the Traynor YCV20WR sounds better than the Blues Junior.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks gents. I like that the amps mentioned here are made in North America too.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Gaffer View Post
FWIW, I think the Traynor YCV20WR sounds better than the Blues Junior.
I've not played through any of the newer Traynors; I had a couple from the mid '70s along with cabinets from the '60s.

For something made in the USA I'd get another Swart.

http://swartamps.com
Old 09-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Blues Jr IV today. This thing is loud! It’s overkill for the home, but frankly I like that. And I have options for public play down the road.

Anyways, playing a Tele style guitar through the JR, I get great clean tone. And when I go through a Bose Blues Driver overdrive pedal and a Boss Compressor Sustainer, I feel like I’m a Guitar Hero.

Very happy with the amp, and thanks all. I bet I’d be happy with the Vibro Champ as well, but the price was right on this one.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 09-12-2021 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I bought a Blues Jr IV today. This thing is loud! It’s overkill for the home, but frankly I like that. And I have options for public play down the road.

Anyways, playing a Tele style guitar through the JR, I get great clean tone. And when I go through a Bose Blues Driver overdrive pedal and a Boss Compressor Sustainer, I feel like I’m a Guitar Hero.

Very happy with the amp, and thanks all. I bet I’d be happy with the info Champ as well, but the price was right on this one.
I'm Glad You're Happy With Your New Fender Blues Junior IV! The Fender Blues Junior versions are one of those amps that is a good value that'll serve you well! Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars