The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-05-2021, 07:22 AM

Default What would be the name of this tuning?

If I start with double drop D and put a capo at 2, how do I say the name of tuning without calling out the use of a capo. E B E A C# e

Sounds very nice BTW, does anyone know any popular songs in this tuning?

Last edited by Ds114; 09-05-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

personally, i would still refer to it as you first did...double drop d tuning-capoed at 2nd full step. reason being is you are still maintaining the same string tension, merely capoing to change key. this is very popular is a lot of great music. some older piedmont/Appalachian style music and field hollers are based on that tuning ( including the capoing a full step) some popular examples would be the soundtrack for "O Brother where are thou" Love that movie and soundtrack...super easy to play as well due to the double drop d, as far as fretting hand..fingerpicking brings out alot of the flavor and nuances including the tension i mentioned.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 09-05-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
If I start with double drop D and put a capo at 2, how do I say the name of tuning without calling out the use of a capo. E B E A C# e

Sounds very nice BTW, does anyone know any popular songs in this tuning?
Hi Ds114…

Double Dropped D capo-2 is pretty concise. If someone described that, I'd know just what to do.

When I'm playing the second guitar during worship, I look for songs in key of E where I can do capoed semi open tunings (like the one you listed).

I also do a version of Dropped D (in key of E) without retuning string 6 by sliding a side address capo down from the high E on the 2nd fret, leaving string 6 open. It's a lot like Dropped D sounding in E.

I also use 3 string cut capos which cover the 2nd fret at strings 2-3-4 for faux DADGAD (when it's strummed open) in key of E. You can still do a lot of DADGAD-ish (Irish runs & open sounding chords).

I like having multiple variations of capo altered tunings, so I'm not sounding like I'm playing in a rut.

Minor changes between open strings cause me to change up fingerings, runs, and other variations.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write